Rest of U2 Survivor: Pop - Round 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Do You Feel Loved

Votes: 14 15.9%
  • Mofo

Votes: 1 1.1%
  • If God Will Send His Angels

Votes: 27 30.7%
  • Last Night On Earth

Votes: 6 6.8%
  • If You Wear That Velvet Dress

Votes: 25 28.4%
  • Please

Votes: 5 5.7%
  • Wake Up Dead Man

Votes: 10 11.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Diemen said:
How the hell is Velvet Dress tied for the loss this early in the game?

Because we seem to forget we're supposed to be voting for the song we want to vote off instead of the song we want to win.

Axver said:
I'd be very disappointed if Velvet Dress goes before or at the same time as IGWSHA. IGWSHA has a lot of potential but just doesn't achieve it, and the mixing is absolutely dreadful. Velvet Dress is sublime and one of the album's best songs.

Velvet Dress is the first song on Pop that got my attention , it's really beautiful and definitly a late night song .:drool:

Axver said:
IGWSHA has a lot of potential but just doesn't achieve it
I don't hate the song, I don't feel the need to skip it or anything
but I do think it's one of the worst things U2 has ever done mostly because I actually do not see any potential in this song

the somewhat dreadful title already shows that lyrically nothing interesting is to be expected
the actual lyrics have some of the ugliest lines U2 ever released
("it's the blind leading the blonde, it's the stuff, the stuff of country songs" makes "has a scent like the top of a new born's baby's head" sound mighty good in comparison)

the melody is nothing to get awfully excited about
the chorus even feels like a slight let down compared to the verses instead of lifting the song to a higher level

I like the sound of the rhythm section
especially the bass sounds really good

in short: I don't see how this song was ever going to be any better apart from it being totally re-written

come to think of it
I have about the same problems with "Last night on earth"

except for the lyrics being better and it being a lot more interesting musically

Salome said:

"it's the blind leading the blonde

isn't it "the blind leading the BLIND" ... surely he doesn't actually say blonde? That would take this song to all new lows!!!!

EDIT: just had a listen ... and it does actually sound an awful lot like his singing 'blonde' :sigh:

Last edited:
luna_lovegood said:

isn't it "the blind leading the BLIND" ... surely he doesn't actually say blonde? That would take this song to all new lows!!!!

EDIT: just had a listen ... and it does actually sound an awful lot like his singing 'blonde' :sigh:

Of course it's BLONDE. It's about ridiculing the cliché saying that goes "The Blind leading the Blind". Now that would be dull.

The lyrics reflect some of the absurdities and perversions going on in the world today. Everything is turned upside down. Familiar things seem perverted and strange.

I love the song. There's nothing dull about it. It displays that certain darkness and despair that is present on the album.

Maybe the title is misleading, I've never liked the title. It's not my favourite song on Pop, but surely a song I have really learned to appreciate.

coolian2 said:
Well, If God Will Send His Angels looks like it put up a good fight, bus all seems lost

That must really overcook your biscuits.

Back
Top Bottom