Rest of U2 Survivor: Passengers - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• United Colours

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Slug

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Your Blue Room

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Always Forever Now

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Beach Sequence

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • ... Let's Go Native

Votes: 24 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:
Dream Theater in 2003 is also pretty shitty. When there's singing, the lyrics and voice suck, and the music is kind of circus-y.

This is true. Jordan Rudess has been the keyboardist since 1999, and he just makes everything sound like a circus. He may be a virtuoso who can play incredibly, but that doesn't make anybody sound good.

My general stance:
When Dream And Day Unite (1989): Under-rated. Kind of like Rush, but better.
Images And Words (1992): Definitive prog classic.
Awake (1994): Their best album. Intelligent and artistic.
A Change Of Seasons EP (1995): The title track is what it means to write prog.
Falling Into Infinity (1997): Under-rated; despite a few shit tracks forced upon them by a record label seeking hits, the proggy stuff is really good and well-written.
Scenes From A Memory (1999): Starts well, gets overwhelmed by concept in the middle, finishes well.
Six Degrees Of Inner Turbulence (2002): Stupid lyrics become more prominent, but still very listenable, especially the second disc.
Train Of Thought (2003): And the band decide to have more "balls" and "metal" and it doesn't work.
Octavarium (2005): Still not working.
Systematic Chaos (2007): Epic fail.

coolian2 said:
Btw, i heart American Football. It's a fascinating game. Baseball is pretty interesting too, it was the 2004 ALCS that really got me interested.

Basketball is pretty dull though.

Basketball is the only sport popular in the US that isn't a complete sack of shit.

Gridiron, baseball, and NASCAR are sports for the braindead. It's slow enough for them to follow at least.

Yes, I bring the wanker hyperbole. Good God I hate American sports. And their spelling. And their President.

coolian2 said:
Btw, i heart American Football. It's a fascinating game. Baseball is pretty interesting too, it was the 2004 ALCS that really got me interested.

Basketball is pretty dull though.

The 2004 ALCS made my life, along with the World Series that followed. I was there at Game 4 for The Steal, right behind our dugout, and got on TV right after it as one of the nervous Red Sox fan faces fox enjoyed focusing on. (Also there for game 3 which was the worst 9 innings of my life, and the two most error-prone World Series games ever.)

So does that mean that you're a Red Sox fan? Because then I'm not gonna let you divorce me.

coolian2 said:
Don't start me on car racing. Can i interest you in glorified commuting?

Their spelling makes me sad too.

Their president makes me laugh, but that's because i watch The Daily Show.

To give car racing some credit, it has produced a couple of the few computer games to hold my attention for more than half a minute. Though I'm referring to V8 there, not that boring as shit NASCAR "let's drive around unimaginative ovals!" nonsense.

And I don't have pay TV to watch The Daily Show. Or the India vs Sri Lanka cricket yesterday, which Channel 9 at the last minute offed to Foxtel so I had to follow it on Cricinfo instead. Bastards.

coolian2 said:
Don't start me on car racing. Can i interest you in glorified commuting?

Their spelling makes me sad too.

Their president makes me laugh, but that's because i watch The Daily Show.

John Stewart makes you laugh. The president makes me cry.

To be a NASCAR fan you are required to have an IQ under 85.

Ian, I'm sorry, but your sporting taste is truly disappointing for a Kiwi. I thought anybody who so much as dared to say anything positive about baseball or gridiron got their citizenship revoked. At least you've got being an Aucklander as an excuse for liking league more than union. All you Aucklanders have your brains removed at birth. :wink:

Car racing does provide entertaining video games. But not NASCAR. Who wants to spend 3 hours turning left?

Axver, my problem is i have two eyes. I'm not one of those one eyed NZers i so often mock. And besides, cricket is my favourite sport.

coolian2 said:

I'm not a hardcore fan, but as far as suppporting baseball teams go i'm a Red Sox fan.

If you ever make it to Boston let me know and I'll hook you up with a pair of bleacher tickets, we've got season tix.

Football Americano = Seahawks.

Why? Then, I don't really want to talk about football teams until after the 2008 baseball season is over.

coolian2 said:
Car racing does provide entertaining video games. But not NASCAR. Who wants to spend 3 hours turning left?

The US needs to spend some time turning left, though. They're too far to the right. But not in a car racing sense. Maybe their NASCAR is symbolic of their subconscious desire to be lefties like the rest of the civilised world.

Axver, my problem is i have two eyes. I'm not one of those one eyed NZers i so often mock. And besides, cricket is my favourite sport.

Oh, well, then. Now you're just being a typically two-minded, inconsistent Aucklander. :wink:

PS For the foreigners, it's EN ZED. En Zee is probably a sea near Holland or something.

coolian2 said:
Short of setlist parties, these Survivor threads are some of the more social threads supposedly relating to U2 on here

"Supposedly relating to U2"! :lol:

Yeah, these are rockin'. It gives me something to do. Though I should start thinking about cooking dinner.

Conclusion on dream theater for now: they have ok lyrics, but I really need lyrics to stand out, and the music is pretty good, but in general I prefer songs that aren't 20 minutes long.

Varitek said:

If you ever make it to Boston let me know and I'll hook you up with a pair of bleacher tickets, we've got season tix.

Why? Then, I don't really want to talk about football teams until after the 2008 baseball season is over.

Boston is on my list of places to go, preferably sooner rather than later. I'll remember that!

Seahawks are because of an inexplicable love of North America between Portland and Vancouver.

I also don't really want to think about Football (in this case, league) until this time next year. Screw pre-season injuries.

Axver said:

The US needs to spend some time turning left, though. They're too far to the right. But not in a car racing sense. Maybe their NASCAR is symbolic of their subconscious desire to be lefties like the rest of the civilised world.

Where I'm from (Boston) we turn left to turn right like the rest of the world (except those who turn right to turn left). We call them rotaries, not roundabouts, though. But we have them.

coolian2 said:

Seahawks are because of an inexplicable love of North America between Portland and Vancouver.

I have never been above San Fran west of about Minnesota, or Wisconsin, whichever one is more left. (I can locate every country in the world except those wacky little Carribean and S. Pacific Islands, but I can't remember where my own states are....insert Ms. South Carolina YouTube clip here.)

Varitek said:
Conclusion on dream theater for now: they have ok lyrics, but I really need lyrics to stand out, and the music is pretty good, but in general I prefer songs that aren't 20 minutes long.

The lyrics have been pretty weak since 1999 or so. Kevin Moore was always the best lyricist (e.g. Only A Matter Of Time, Pull Me Under, Surrounded, Space-Dye Vest) and he left in 1994. John Myung was second-best (e.g. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Trial Of Tears), but his lyrics were always streams of consciousness and the band got sick of adapting them to songs, so he was told around 1999 only to submit lyrics if they were structured, so he hasn't written since.

I don't care how long a song is, honestly. If the artist's vision is 3 minutes, I'll take 3 minutes. If the artist's vision is 60 minutes, I'll take 60 minutes. Just as long as it keeps me entertained. I have 25 minute long songs that I think feel shorter than some 4 minute long songs.

Axver said:
. Though I should start thinking about cooking dinner.

I miss having a stove/kitchen/not being bound to a really unhealthy and untastey dining hall. I can't wait to cook again. I'm sooo hungry right now and I don't even have leftover pizza so it's betwen trail mix/nuts and a Trader Joe's Thai Tuna thing.

You don't know what Trader Joe's is, but in this case I can say with full confidence that it is one thing America has completely right and you would be happy to have it as an export, unlike most of our other crap.

If you can find a plane that will get you here in about 40 minutes or so, I can do a really mean spaghetti. I make the sauce myself. I can't stand the store-bought shit.

Varitek said:
So far Fear of a Blank Planet is nice background, like Air but more metal.

I haven't listened to Air. Heard them mentioned though.

I rank FOABP is my top five Porcupine Tree albums. Stupid Dream is my favourite. The only albums I like more than Stupid Dream are UF and Anathema's Judgement.

Axver said:

The lyrics have been pretty weak since 1999 or so. Kevin Moore was always the best lyricist (e.g. Only A Matter Of Time, Pull Me Under, Surrounded, Space-Dye Vest) and he left in 1994. John Myung was second-best (e.g. Lifting Shadows Off A Dream, Trial Of Tears), but his lyrics were always streams of consciousness and the band got sick of adapting them to songs, so he was told around 1999 only to submit lyrics if they were structured, so he hasn't written since.

I don't care how long a song is, honestly. If the artist's vision is 3 minutes, I'll take 3 minutes. If the artist's vision is 60 minutes, I'll take 60 minutes. Just as long as it keeps me entertained. I have 25 minute long songs that I think feel shorter than some 4 minute long songs.

I got bored with whichever it was I was referencing. I also find it hard to think of a band with such fluid membership as one band - all the bands I really loved have been pretty consistent, and broken up if somebody wanted to leave. As for stream of conciousness, how is it that Elvis Presley and America is great but Elvis Ate America is suckage?

Varitek said:

I have never been above San Fran west of about Minnesota, or Wisconsin, whichever one is more left. (I can locate every country in the world except those wacky little Carribean and S. Pacific Islands, but I can't remember where my own states are....insert Ms. South Carolina YouTube clip here.)

I think it's Minnesota which is more west.

I can locate a lot of countries but have a little trouble with Africa (take that, Bono!) and Canada. But anyone could miss Canada, tucked away all the way down there.

Axver said:
If you can find a plane that will get you here in about 40 minutes or so, I can do a really mean spaghetti. I make the sauce myself. I can't stand the store-bought shit.

I haven't listened to Air. Heard them mentioned though.

I rank FOABP is my top five Porcupine Tree albums. Stupid Dream is my favourite. The only albums I like more than Stupid Dream are UF and Anathema's Judgement.

Air is fabulous.

My mom makes homemade sauce, but basically everything she makes is heavenly. I get tomato paste and tomato sauce (bare bones) and dress it up with my own spices veggies and meat but my mom does it from scratch.

If I had a plane that could get me to Australia in 40 minutes I would probably go to the beach, no offense. Or, scratch that, to Dublin to camp out on Hanover Key. :wink:

coolian2 said:

I think it's Minnesota which is more west.

I can locate a lot of countries but have a little trouble with Africa (take that, Bono!) and Canada. But anyone could miss Canada, tucked away all the way down there.

Africa's my strongest - I can freehand draw the state boundaries with some degree of accuracy. And who doesn't love Djibouti, the coolest country name ever?

Are you making a joke at Canada's expense or do you use upside down maps?

Varitek said:
I got bored with whichever it was I was referencing. I also find it hard to think of a band with such fluid membership as one band - all the bands I really loved have been pretty consistent, and broken up if somebody wanted to leave. As for stream of conciousness, how is it that Elvis Presley and America is great but Elvis Ate America is suckage?

If you want a band with fluid membership, look no further than The Chills. The only consistent member is Martin Phillipps, and he has lost track of their 20+ line-ups.

The EPAA vs EAA disparity is proof you shouldn't try a similar idea twice.

Varitek said:
If I had a plane that could get me to Australia in 40 minutes I would probably go to the beach, no offense. Or, scratch that, to Dublin to camp out on Hanover Key. :wink:

The beach is completely over-rated. My friend dragged me there in November last year because she wanted to go and didn't want to do so alone, so I just sat there reading Dostoevsky and looking like a fool in my suit trousers and neatly pressed shirt. Libraries are such better places to be.

But geography rocks. I'm pretty sure I could identify every single country on a map and place its capital (and in most cases, other major cities) with a fair degree of accuracy. As for cool country names, Djibouti is awesome but has nothing on Kyrgyzstan.

Djibouti is ok, i'm personally a fan of Burkina Faso, especially the capital city. Also i like Nigeria, their capital shares a name with the surname (Suriname?) of one of my friends. I can draw a precis map of Muriwai Beach in 5 seconds though.

The Canada thing was a Simpsons reference.

Axver said:

The EPAA vs EAA disparity is proof you shouldn't try a similar idea twice.

It wasn't a similar idea at all. It is, however, a nice parallel to Elvis's life: early = fabulous, creative, epic, late = garbage.

So should my middle-of-the-night snack be Trader Joe's Red, Yellow, or Green Curry Tuna? Or oatmeal and a pear?

Varitek said:
It wasn't a similar idea at all. It is, however, a nice parallel to Elvis's life: early = fabulous, creative, epic, late = garbage.

:lol:

Well, I was referencing the similar titles and the whole "let's go on about Elvis" basic idea underlying both of them.

Though for the record, I don't like any Elvis era at all.

So should my middle-of-the-night snack be Trader Joe's Red, Yellow, or Green Curry Tuna? Or oatmeal and a pear?

Anything yellow has to be good. Except the Coldplay song.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom