Rest of U2 Survivor: Passengers - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• United Colours

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Slug

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Your Blue Room

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Always Forever Now

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Beach Sequence

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • ... Let's Go Native

Votes: 24 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Axver said:

You can talk. Baseball's the dull, watered down form of cricket, and American football is about 10,000x slower than a five day cricket match.

Our sports have strategy. Only people who don't understand the strategy think they are slow. Also, the longest baseball game ever lasted only about 8 hours (unless you count the month in between the 32nd and 33rd innings) and both have way, way, way more suspense=excitement.

So, 30 Beatles-related covers/snippets, more than double anybody else. Not hard to guess what band Bono likes, eh?

Here's my list:

THE BEATLES & ASSOCIATED SOLO
- Across The Universe
- A Hard Day's Night
- All You Need Is Love
- Birthday
- Blackbird
- Carry That Weight
- Cold Turkey (Lennon)
- Dear Prudence
- Don't Let Me Down
- Drive My Car
- Give Me Some Truth (Lennon)
- Give Peace A Chance
- Happiness Is A Warm Gun
- Happy Christmas (War Is Over) (Lennon)
- Hello, Goodbye
- Help
- Helter Skelter
- Here Comes The Sun
- In My Life
- Instant Karma! (Lennon)
- Let It Be
- Michelle
- My Sweet Lord (Harrison)
- Norwegian Wood
- Rain
- Sgt Pepper's Lonely Hearts Club Band
- She Loves You
- Something
- Twist And Shout
- You Never Give Me Your Money
- You've Got To Hide Your Love Away

Varitek said:
Our sports have strategy. Only people who don't understand the strategy think they are slow. Also, the longest baseball game ever lasted only about 8 hours (unless you count the month in between the 32nd and 33rd innings) and both have way, way, way more suspense=excitement.

I think cricket is arguably the most strategic major sport on the planet. It's by far the most statistics-heavy in any case! You kind of get the feeling it was probably created by a group of very bored statisticians.

The longest international Test in cricket ran for nine days, and ended only because the English team had to catch their boat home from South Africa. Beat THAT. (Though nowadays, Tests aren't timeless and are limited to five days.)

Axver said:

No, no. Summer Rain should have been on ATYCLB. I normally just sub out Wild Honey, but I've come to realise that song isn't the shittest one there. Ditch IALW or Stuck for Summer Rain instead.

Oh, I'm not saying it's more lame than some of the stuff on ATYCLB, particularly Wild Honey, Peace on Earth, and New York. Maybe also Grace. Definitely not In A Little While. You clearly have never been hung over.

Also the UF performance of Rain was amazing. Axver, without looking, can you name the date?

Axver said:

I think cricket is arguably the most strategic major sport on the planet. It's by far the most statistics-heavy in any case! You kind of get the feeling it was probably created by a group of very bored statisticians.

And you could hardly call what just happened boring

Varitek said:
Oh, I'm not saying it's more lame than some of the stuff on ATYCLB, particularly Wild Honey, Peace on Earth, and New York. Maybe also Grace. Definitely not In A Little While. You clearly have never been hung over.

Also the UF performance of Rain was amazing. Axver, without looking, can you name the date?

No, I've never been hung over. That doesn't excuse Bono singing like he's got a fucking cold, or the lyrics being absolutely shithouse until you reach the rocketship verse.

Milton Keynes, I think 22 June 1985.

coolian2 said:
And you could hardly call what just happened boring

Do I even want to know?

*loads Cricinfo with trepidation*

WTF A TIE?! AT THREE HUNDRED AND MOTHERFUCKING FORTY?!

coolian2 said:
I'm sorry Varitek, but i may be forced to petition for divorce based on your opinion of cricket and Summer Rain

I probably would like cricket if I actually had access to a match instead of a bunch of American stereotypes about the sport. But I will always like baseball more than anything else. Also I'm sure I'd love rugby if someone explained to me wtf was going on - I didn't like football for years because nobody explained it to me.

Axver said:

See, this is the reason I love baseball: there are ridiculous amounts of strategy and statistics. I don't know shit about cricket so I can't actually compare, but I get the feeling you can have 4x the stats with 2x the bases, at minimum.

http://www.baseball-reference.com/

Axver said:

No, I've never been hung over. That doesn't excuse Bono singing like he's got a fucking cold, or the lyrics being absolutely shithouse until you reach the rocketship verse.

Milton Keynes, I think 22 June 1985.

Correct on the Rain.

Shit lyrics?

When the night takes a deep breath
And the daylight has no air

Friday night running to Sunday on my knees

interspersed with stuff about Ali - when you run drunk from Friday (thursday?) night to Sunday and end up in the toilet or miserable in bed, those thoughts would be a comfort.

The only complaint I have is singing falsetto in a song about a hangover.

I don't think it's fantastic and it won't be making any of my top-x lists any time soon but it's a good song.

Varitek said:
I probably would like cricket if I actually had access to a match instead of a bunch of American stereotypes about the sport. But I will always like baseball more than anything else. Also I'm sure I'd love rugby if someone explained to me wtf was going on - I didn't like football for years because nobody explained it to me.

Don't listen to Ian when it comes to rugby. He likes league, which is where you do the same thing for eighty minutes and claim it's fast.

Rugby is like your football, but played by real men who don't need to take a breather every five seconds, don't need to wear a helmet or twenty pillows to play, and are smart enough to come up with strategies that do not require forward passing.

As for cricket ... just trying to figure out how the hell you get dismissed Leg Before Wicket will probably take you two years.

Axver said:

Don't listen to Ian when it comes to rugby. He likes league, which is where you do the same thing for eighty minutes and claim it's fast.

Rugby is like your football, but played by real men who don't need to take a breather every five seconds, don't need to wear a helmet or twenty pillows to play, and are smart enough to come up with strategies that do not require forward passing.

As for cricket ... just trying to figure out how the hell you get dismissed Leg Before Wicket will probably take you two years.

Well, I taught myself baseball so clearly it is the most elegant of all of these games.

Football's forward passing is awesome - a great catch is one of the most elegant feats in athletics.

I guess I like the word elegant all of a sudden.

Varitek said:
Correct on the Rain.

You nearly had me there, truth be told. I was thinking "when the FUCK did they do Rain on UF?" But then I remembered the wet Milton Keynes gig.

Shit lyrics?

When the night takes a deep breath
And the daylight has no air

OK, that's good

Friday night running to Sunday on my knees

That's not.

And then there's that bullshit about "in a pram they pushed you by".

He's talking about how slow but fast time can go, how things can feel like forever and yesterday.

You don't like Friday night running to Sunday on my knees but it speaks to a common human experience for many of us. I particularly related to it one weekend in Munich, or I would have if I hadn't been listening to So Cruel on loop.

Varitek said:
Well, I taught myself baseball so clearly it is the most elegant of all of these games.

Football's forward passing is awesome - a great catch is one of the most elegant feats in athletics.

I guess I like the word elegant all of a sudden.

:lol:

Forward passing is for the lazy who can't think of a better way to get the ball down the park.

Actually, the main thing that shits me about American football, besides how fucking wimpy the players are in their pansy-boy armour, is that at the breakdown, you don't get the ball out of the tackle and keep playing, you take a five minute breather and arse around forever. I can't stand how it doesn't flow. I find watching the field's grass grow or the paint of the line markings dry to be more entertaining than watching the game itself.

Hmm, wonder why my offline relationship with an American didn't work out ...

Axver said:

:lol:

Forward passing is for the lazy who can't think of a better way to get the ball down the park.

Actually, the main thing that shits me about American football, besides how fucking wimpy the players are in their pansy-boy armour, is that at the breakdown, you don't get the ball out of the tackle and keep playing, you take a five minute breather and arse around forever. I can't stand how it doesn't flow. I find watching the field's grass grow or the paint of the line markings dry to be more entertaining than watching the game itself.

Hmm, wonder why my offline relationship with an American didn't work out ...

Depends on the tackle. A fumble and quick recovery will be a very exciting play that doesn't stop. But we stop because of downs, and downs add a lot of strategy to the sport. (I have no idea if rugby has downs.)

coolian2 said:
You're right. It's much better to kick the ball down the field, wait for your opponent to kick it out and then kick a penalty.

You can talk. My biggest issue with league is the limited tackle count. I've hated that ever since I was little. It ruins the game for me.

Varitek said:
Depends on the tackle. A fumble and quick recovery will be a very exciting play that doesn't stop. But we stop because of downs, and downs add a lot of strategy to the sport. (I have no idea if rugby has downs.)

Like hell rugby has downs. In rugby you get the ball out, keep playing, and need to be alert enough to do your strategy on your feet rather than stopping for a breather to chat about it.

coolian2 said:

You're right. It's much better to kick the ball down the field, wait for your opponent to kick it out and then kick a penalty.

that sounds lame. I like soccer, don't get me wrong, but it is the only sport that should involve lots of feet-on-ball contact. Football limits the foot-to-ball contact in the same way soccer limits the hand-to-ball contact.

Varitek said:
that sounds lame. I like soccer, don't get me wrong, but it is the only sport that should involve lots of feet-on-ball contact. Football limits the foot-to-ball contact in the same way soccer limits the hand-to-ball contact.

Ignore Ian's hyperbole. He's talking out of his arse.

Yes, I'm an intolerant prick when it comes to sport. I really just shouldn't get into sports discussions on Interference.

Axver said:

You can talk. My biggest issue with league is the limited tackle count. I've hated that ever since I was little. It ruins the game for me.

I like it. It means eventually you have to do something. I wish there was more contest for the ball though.

Although it encourages running with the ball everywhere on the field which shits all over rugby.

And tries are so much more exciting than penalties.

Also I would like to point out that I am outnumbered in this thread only because all sensible people in my country are in bed right now and have not allowed their insomnia to convert them into nocturnal animals.

Axver said:

Like hell rugby has downs. In rugby you get the ball out, keep playing, and need to be alert enough to do your strategy on your feet rather than stopping for a breather to chat about it.

You're saying i'm bringin' the hyperbole?

There's three minutes for every scrum and a big breather for every lineout.

Believe it or not, up until last year i like rugby, but i find the game so horribly boring compared to league right now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom