Rest of U2 Survivor: Passengers - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• United Colours

Votes: 9 22.0%
  • Slug

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Your Blue Room

Votes: 2 4.9%
  • Always Forever Now

Votes: 1 2.4%
  • Beach Sequence

Votes: 3 7.3%
  • ... Let's Go Native

Votes: 24 58.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:
If you care at all for your site, the actual title of the song is The Jean Genie.

I'm trying to tally up the Bowie stuff now.

Changed. :)

I'll be interested to see the results of your tally.

6 songs by my calculations:

I'm Afraid of Americans - 1 time (Popmart - Discotheque)

John, I'm Only Dancing - 1 time (JT Tour - Bad)

Suffragette City - 2 times (Early Days - Full Performances)

The Jean Genie - 3 times (Vertigo Tour - twice after The Fly, once before)

Young Americans - 26 times (Elevation Tour - 24 times, BTBS//Vertigo Tour- twice: Mysterious Ways, AOH)

Ziggy Stardust - 1 time (UF Tour - Electric Co.)

Bono and Adam also played Van Morrison's Gloria with David Bowie at a Bowie show in 1990.

Awesome. I might just have to make a main page feature about how many times U2 have snippeted/covered various popular bands.

Also, in Brisbane in 2006 during Angel Of Harlem, Bono discovered a previously unreleased Bowie demo - Young Australians. :wink:

If I were doing that in the format of your site it would also have this notation:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (2 songs)
Aladdin Sane (1 song)
Young Americans (1 song)
Earthling (1 song)
Non-album songs (1 song)

Here's your nightly random question:

Is "quay" as in Hanover Quay pronounced like "key"?

{Dennis Leary}Luuuudes, maaaaan. Fuckin' LUUUUUUUUUUUUUDES, MAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAN!{/Leary}

I thought I'd heard it pronounced "key" by someone British or Irish, so I just figured that's the way it was. "Quay" not being a word I ever come into contact with (outside of U2-world, natch), I wasn't sure.

Varitek said:
That would be pretty cool.

Already working on it now, though it may take a while.

phillyfan26 said:
If I were doing that in the format of your site it would also have this notation:

The Rise and Fall of Ziggy Stardust and the Spiders from Mars (2 songs)
Aladdin Sane (1 song)
Young Americans (1 song)
Earthling (1 song)
Non-album songs (1 song)

I'm curious: which is the non-album song?

corianderstem said:
Here's your nightly random question:

Is "quay" as in Hanover Quay pronounced like "key"?

Why wouldn't it be? That's pretty much how you pronounce 'quay'.

See above. I seriously never hear the word other than when people are talking about U2 recording an album.

Do we have quays in the US? We must call them something else. I don't even know what it is - some kind of land/water formation, yes?

Axver said:

Why wouldn't it be? That's pretty much how you pronounce 'quay'.

Because we don't have Quays in these parts, only the Florida ones. I'd never heard of it until I went to Dublin 2 years ago and then I pronounced it with the long a sound because that's the way it reads. This goes back to English being an irrational language. Why doesn't Quay rhyme with say? Why does they rhyme with say? :mad:

corianderstem said:

Do we have quays in the US? We must call them something else. I don't even know what it is - some kind of land/water formation, yes?

Streets that run along the water, as far as I can gather. We just call them streets, roads, places, or whatever else, we don't have a special name for them.

Axver said:
I'm curious: which is the non-album song?

John, I'm Only Dancing. It was an early single of his that never made its way onto an album. It was reworked and put on his first compilation album with a "Sax Version" (generally considered the best version) and down the road was released again as "John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)" (not so good).

I own all six of those songs, which I was sort of surprised by.

Varitek said:
Streets that run along the water, as far as I can gather. We just call them streets, roads, places, or whatever else, we don't have a special name for them.

No, that's not a proper quay, though some streets are named as such (for example, Lambton Quay in my native Wellington). A quay itself is like a wharf or a jetty. Wikipedia knows all: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Quay

You poor Americans and your butchered and watered down English. :tsk: :wink:

phillyfan26 said:
John, I'm Only Dancing. It was an early single of his that never made its way onto an album. It was reworked and put on his first compilation album with a "Sax Version" (generally considered the best version) and down the road was released again as "John, I'm Only Dancing (Again)" (not so good).

I own all six of those songs, which I was sort of surprised by.

Ah, righto, thanks. Are any of the songs Bono's snippeted a surprise, or are they all fairly common or unremarkable? You can tell I've never paid any attention to Bowie.

Yes, but also look how it says:

"The word is commonly used in United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand."

So now kindly stock knocking us USians. We make things simple and call it what it is: A freaking wharf!

You visit Fisherman's Wharf in San Francisco, not Fisherman's Quay. :wink:

corianderstem said:

"The word is commonly used in United Kingdom, Ireland, Canada, Australia and New Zealand."

So now kindly stock knocking us USians. We make things simple and call it what it is: A freaking wharf!

And it's not consistently used as a warf from what I've seen anyway.

damn this talk about fish is making me want some sushi...maybe i can get some thursday if I don't sleep through when they sell it...

corianderstem said:

Because we're smarter and more literate. :wink:

No, I visit fisherman's nothing. Fish = :barf:

Varitek said:
That would be pretty cool.

Well, this is proving to be harder than I expected. It's hard to decide what artists to include or exclude. Ah well, I normally love snippetry. As it stands, I've only just gotten to the end of all songs starting with C! Shitloads of Beatles already.

Axver said:
Ah, righto, thanks. Are any of the songs Bono's snippeted a surprise, or are they all fairly common or unremarkable? You can tell I've never paid any attention to Bowie.

For the most part, no. I think all of those songs except for Ziggy Stardust were singles, and even that is a famous song of his.

I'm Afraid of Americans, however, is an obscure choice, as that is from a 1997 Bowie album, whereas all the others came from his heydey in the 70s. It makes sense in the context it was snippeted in, though, for it was relevant and a dance song, making sense for a '97 Discotheque performance.

I don't like fish. Other, non-fish seafood? Mostly, yes. But fish? I'm throwing the :no: back at you.

I only used "fisherman's wharf" because it was the only wharf I could think of off the top of my head!

I'm out ... I need to spend less of my evenings online. My eyes are bleeding .... bye, all!

Varitek said:
we need a less vehement, more disappointed/disapproving/"you don't know what you're talking" about version of :no:

Oh, but my :barf: was literal - I'm allergic to fish. Plus I can't stand the smell of the stuff.

corianderstem said:
I'm out ... I need to spend less of my evenings online. My eyes are bleeding .... bye, all!

Aw, go on, mercy rule this before you leave! : plead :

phillyfan26 said:
For the most part, no. I think all of those songs except for Ziggy Stardust were singles, and even that is a famous song of his.

I'm Afraid of Americans, however, is an obscure choice, as that is from a 1997 Bowie album, whereas all the others came from his heydey in the 70s. It makes sense in the context it was snippeted in, though, for it was relevant and a dance song, making sense for a '97 Discotheque performance.

I must admit, just the title of that snippet cracks me up in light of Bono's ongoing love of America.

Axver said:

You've heard nothing by him? Damn, I bet you'd really enjoy some of his work from 1976-1979. Very creative and atmospheric.

There's not many lyrics to it, either. I'm 95% sure just looking at that match that he simply rapped "I'm Afraid of Americans."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom