Rest of U2 Survivor: Passengers - Round 11

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your LEAST favorite song

• Slug

Votes: 43 67.2%
  • Your Blue Room

Votes: 21 32.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah but you got WGRYWH at the Boston show I irrationally decided not to go to. Actually I rationally decided not to go to it, I wish I'd irrationally decided to go. But I was buying the tickets before I'd seen them live and didn't know what it would do to me.

So I'm trying to figure out how to describe Mercy to this moderate fan friend of mine. I was gonna say "mercy's awesome but has it's lyrical flaws, it's clearly a work in progress, there's a big debate over whether it's crap or the 2nd coming of ..."

Now, I could say "One" here and he'd get it, but I wouldn't feel honest to myself because I think it's a much better song than One. Help me fill in the blank. WOWY?

A lot of people have said Mercy is Bad for the 2000s. I entirely disagree, it's not even remotely that epic, not in the condition it's in, but you can make of that comparison what you will.

I must've been funny at the 28/05 Boston gig. I seriously was telling everybody within earshot that WGRYWH hadn't been played since 1992 and generally being my setlist nut self.

It's not epic, but it's a great tortured love song, so I went with WOWY.

You setlist nerd. I checked U2-vertigo-tour that night and almost cried when I saw I'd missed WGRYWH. My piano teacher (she's kind of like a big sister) was there and called me after. It is probably my single greatest U2-related regret.

I can still remember clearly the end of UTEOTW. I was thinking, before it even happened, this kind of premonition; "it's going into WGRYWH, this feels right". And I've rarely cheered louder for anything. Though the night before, I was even more excited about Out Of Control.

I do hope you didn't miss An Cat Dubh/Into The Heart and at least got it another night. 28/05 is the only time I got to see it and I wish I could've heard it more.

OOC was amazing. That + Bad for the first time was the most exciting moment of my U2-concert-going life until December when I got on stage and they did the triple encore including Bad and Fast Cars.

I got An Cat Dubh on 5-14, my first show ever.

And yeah, I was really happy about Crumbs, except that by that time I wasn't as into it as I had been for the other shows I went to.

And besides An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, 5-14 and 5-24 were the same setlist. Kind of boring. Speaking of boring, didn't Kings of Leon suck? I'm sad I missed Keane in October.

OOC just came out of nowhere. One of my friends reckons it was done because the band had seen us in the front row waving a sign for 11 O'clock Tick Tock and they didn't know how to play it but they did know OOC. I call bullshit on that but it'd be nice to believe. I had a One Tree Hill sign that night too. That totally made going to Auckland - AUCKLAND! - worthwhile.

And I don't think I've heard the story of you getting on stage. I'm just hoping it wasn't for WOWY. FFS, Bono, stop pulling people up during WOWY and focus on the bloody song - it sucks enough these days even when you do focus.

Kings Of Leon were total shit, though Kanye West was worse. By the third night of KOL, I was so bored that I had to play paper, scissors, rock with my friend to stay awake.

At the time I liked to think they played OOC because we as a crowd were OOC.

I wish I got on stage during WOWY - dancing with Bono would just about make my life. That night he took up the girl who had a sign that said "tall girls can dance too." But I wouldn't choose WOWY, I'd choose.

However I was with the crowd that went up during One, Bono pointed at me to come up, though he had to do it twice because the security guard was not happy about the number of people he'd invited on stage. I have no memory of the actual song...such a loss lol. After the main set finished I said "thanks for everything" to him as he was going down the stairs, and he gave me a very, very sweaty kiss on the cheek. And then played Bad. Best show ever.

Then afterwards the previously mentioned moderate U2 fan friend who'd been outside of the ellipse (not a u2.com member, different lines..tsk tsk) had to confirm for me that it had really happened because I think I had left the planet. I have a very unflattering picture of my ass scrambling onto stage and some blurry photos of everyone up there that I got from Interference.

That's my theory on OOC too. I just love on the bootleg listening to Bono calling Adam's name to get him to stop playing WOWY.

Ahh, right, you were in that group. That must've been pretty fun, though personally I've no interest in getting on stage unless it's to play guitar. Because I'd tell Bono I can play Desire or something like that, and then start playing 11OTT. Also, I think it's for the best that you have no memory of One. :wink:

If you ever get on stage and fuck up yet another already watered down WOWY, I will personally ... uh ... think of a good threat when it's not nearly 2:30am and I should be asleep.

Axver said:
That's my theory on OOC too. I just love on the bootleg listening to Bono calling Adam's name to get him to stop playing WOWY.

Ahh, right, you were in that group. That must've been pretty fun, though personally I've no interest in getting on stage unless it's to play guitar. Because I'd tell Bono I can play Desire or something like that, and then start playing 11OTT. Also, I think it's for the best that you have no memory of One. :wink:

If you ever get on stage and fuck up yet another already watered down WOWY, I will personally ... uh ... think of a good threat when it's not nearly 2:30am and I should be asleep.

:lmao: to 11OTT.

If I got on stage during WOWY one of the things I'd say to him would be "please play Acrobat, RHMT, and Heartland. pleeeeeeeeeeease. And also ASOH, and UF. And while we're at it, do you mind switching to AIWIY? I'd rather dance to that with you."

That would be OK, but only if he actually promises in return to play that stuff, and comes good on the promise.

Now I need to sleep. I should've gone a few hours ago before we got stuck into postwhoring.

Just from our threads in the last couple of days, I've gained about 300 posts. This is insane. OK, I'm gone now. :wave:

I'm about to be a New Yorker I think - doesn't that happen at 2500? How long does that last? Because I don't want to be a New Yorker, I mean, I loved living there and will live there again, but I'm a Bostonian damn it.

To those who are a little put-out by the ... uh ... lax mercy rules for this album, I'm sorry. I knew there would be at least a few people who would have preferred to keep all the polls consistent for this album, but based on the number of people who were voting on this album, I honestly don't think any results would have been affected if I'd kept them all open 24 hours.

Going forward, things will be back to normal - 48 hours per poll, with mercy rules invoked when there's a clear trouncing going on.

This one will stay open 24 hours even though it's pretty much a runaway, because if I post the new poll when I get home, that will put me back on track with my regular schedule.

:)

Tough one. Voted for Slug. Your Blue Room is just fantastic. I mean how often do you get to hear Adam's voice?

corianderstem said:
This one will stay open 24 hours even though it's pretty much a runaway, because if I post the new poll when I get home, that will put me back on track with my regular schedule.

I was actually just coming here to suggest this to ya. Good thinking.

Axver said:
:lol:

I at least have an uncle who's a U2 nut. His collection of stuff is just amazing. He has this container that has every U2 single ever inside it. Not to mention 28 copies of One Tree Hill. 30 before he gave me a couple. I'm not the only OTH fanatic going around.

I know one U2 fan. That's it. No one in my family. My dad's one buddy likes U2. That's all.

I don't actually know anyone on the level of us here, just two people who have most of the albums and saw them live, and my mom who has heard maybe 4 albums and wanted to bond with me.

Some time last summer she proudly informed me that she bought a U2 CD with a gift card. "Which one?"

"I think an older one."

"Was it Joshua Tree? That's a good one to have. And mine has a problem skipping, that would be good."

"I think so."

"Well does it have Where the Streets Have No Name on it?"

"I think."

"So it was Joshua tree."

It was Rattle and Hum. :shrug: Now every time I'm in the car with her and we don't want to listen to NPR or sports talk, that's what goes on.

Slug should've been gone in the last round instead of Beach Sequence :mad:

Well, anyway, Your Blue Room is great and deserves the win

Varitek said:
I'm about to be a New Yorker I think - doesn't that happen at 2500? How long does that last? Because I don't want to be a New Yorker, I mean, I loved living there and will live there again, but I'm a Bostonian damn it.

You could become a premium member and rename yourself a Bostonian. Or just postwhore it up until you hit 3,200: http://forum.interference.com/misc.php?s=&action=faq&page=2#46

Given our threads the last couple of days, 700 posts shouldn't be a struggle. :wink:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom