Rest of U2 Survivor: Passengers - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Song Favorite Least Your For Vote

• United Colours

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Slug

• Your Blue Room

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Always Forever Now

• A Different Kind of Blue

Votes: 3 5.5%
  • Beach Sequence

Votes: 2 3.6%
  • Ito Okashi

Votes: 7 12.7%
  • One Minute Warning

• Corpse

Votes: 1 1.8%
  • Elvis Ate America

Votes: 33 60.0%
  • Plot 180

• Theme From The Swan

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • Theme From Let's Go Native

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Diemen said:
You're an odd one, Ax. :wink: Slug is probably my second favorite out of this list, but it's got nothing on YBR, except the synth atmospherics.

See, I'd pretty much just reverse your statement. I love YBR, it's in my top four on Passengers, but Slug takes ethereal to new levels.

Speaking of rankings:
1. Slug
2. One Minute Warning
3. United Colours
4. Your Blue Room
5. Beach Sequence
6. Always Forever Now
Miss Sarajevo
7. Corpse
8. Let's Go Native
9. Ito Okashi
10. A Different Kind Of Blue
11. The Swan
12. Plot 180
1,000,000,000. Elvis Ate America

fandangamoq said:
I bet if we just said that Your Blue Room is the winner we would have roughly 2 people complain.

No, there's a fair bit of support from Slug around these parts, I think. The final will hopefully be good. Personally, I just hope One Minute Warning doesn't get an early dismissal.

1. Your Blue Room
2. Slug
3. Beach Sequence
4. Always Forever Now
5. Theme From Let's Go Native
6. Corpse
7. United Colours
8. One Minute Warning
9. Plot 180
10. A Different Kind of Blue
11. Ito Okashi
12. Theme From The Swan
13. Elvis ATE America

Axver said:

No, there's a fair bit of support from Slug around these parts, I think. The final will hopefully be good. Personally, I just hope One Minute Warning doesn't get an early dismissal.

That's one :wink:

coolian2 said:
Bonos vocals on A Different Kind Of Blue ZOMG!!!!!!1111eleven

OK, I'm bored, so to add to Bono on ADKOB and Edge singing Korean:

- [Eno/Pavarotti/Edge/Holi/Lanois/Lennon] is SUCH a better singer than Bono
- The new album SUCKS + I hate the new album + WTF U2?? + This is SHIT (merged)
- It's called United ColoUrs, n00bs!
- Ito Okashi is CLEARLY in Vietnamese!
- WOW BONO SINGS OPERA OMG!!!!!
- Anybody else not have HMTMKMKM on their album??!?!?!!
- Where are the tour dates?
- What new songs will U2 play live? + Custom sets! (merged)
- Where's Sarajevo?!?!
- U2 love Europe too much + Why is U2 ignoring the US? (merged)
- Bottoms is just Zoo Station regurgitated + U2 losing originality + Repetitive bullshit (merged)

Axver said:
I'm sure we can both agree on one thing though: had EYKIW existed at the time, it would have been hilarious when Passengers came out!

If we wait 4 hours (except I've had some alcohol, so I won't make it) we can do this.

edit: my bad, already done.

"Where's Sarajevo" FTW

Last edited:
coolian2 said:
-My brother...

... loves the new album, OMG WHAT A WEIRDO!!! :coocoo:
... hates the new album, U2 NEED TO CHANGE DIRECTION NOW!!! :help:
... thought Pavarotti was Bono, WTF?!?! :huh:
... thinks Passengers is a brand new band, SO IGNORANT!!! :banghead:
...'s name is Mittems! :cute:

/reheated joke

1. Your Blue Room
2. there's a few more I like a little (United Colors, Slug, Corpse, Always Forever Now, Let's Go Native, Beach Sequence, maybe Swan)
3. but i'll be voting to protect YBR

Last edited:
The entire first half of this record is perfection and flows like a dream. The second half is iffy, but has some great moments.

LemonMelon said:
The entire first half of this record is perfection and flows like a dream. The second half is iffy, but has some great moments.

Just delete EAA and the second half works.

LemonMelon said:

My modifications:

The entire first half of this record (with the exception of A Different Kind of Blue) is good and flows like a dream. The second half is iffy, but has some good moments.

I've always really wanted to like A different Kind of Blue. and I like the chorus, such as it is, but the chanted verses with no music just suck. More than anything else but EAA and Plot 180. And maybe One Minute Warning.

Varitek said:
I've always really wanted to like A different Kind of Blue. and I like the chorus, such as it is, but the chanted verses with no music just suck. More than anything else but EAA and Plot 180. And maybe One Minute Warning.

One Minute Warning?!

But ... but ... it's one of the best tracks, murky and dark!

We're so over. I knew a Zooropa Survivor marriage could just never work.

Axver said:

One Minute Warning?!

But ... but ... it's one of the best tracks, murky and dark!

We're so over. I knew a Zooropa Survivor marriage could just never work.

Lyrics - decent, as they are sparse.
Drum - very much one of the best on the album
Awful twangy guitar twang - kills it. The last minute+ is amazingthough, because it goes away. But that's only 1/3 of the song. If it were the whole song it might be my #1.

LemonMelon said:
Still can't hear it. :tsk: And I can hear your sarcasm from the other side of the planet, so nothing's wrong with my ears. :wink:

:lol:

I think The Swan is at least a bit more audible than Plot 180 and Viva Davidoff.

I don't doubt the first round of Viva Davidoff's non-album category will be mercy ruled in about five minutes after it gets 90 votes to 0.

Varitek said:
Lyrics - decent, as they are sparse.
Drum - very much one of the best on the album
Awful twangy guitar twang - kills it. The last minute+ is amazingthough, because it goes away. But that's only 1/3 of the song. If it were the whole song it might be my #1.

I can't say I have ever thought of One Minute Warning's guitar as notably twangy.

I really, really want to do a Passengers cartoon period piece. Oh, the room for satire is endless. I can show them watching all kinds of crappy, pretentious Ukrainian films while Larry is locked in the closet. :heart:

Axver said:

I can't say I have ever thought of One Minute Warning's guitar as notably twangy.

If I start at 3:30 I don't mind it at all. I don't love it, but I love very little on Passengers (I will admit that part of this comes from a lack of familiarity, but at the same time, there's a lack of familiarity for a reason).

My problem with a lot of Passengers tracks is that they were perfectly good pieces of music until the lyrics ruined them. And I originally typed songs instead of "tracks" and "pieces of music" but I realized I consider nothing but Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo songs, except for maybe Always Forever Now which has terribly annoying lyrics and Slug which I'd love if it weren't for the shit lyrics.

:shrug: lyrics are really important to me

Rosebud said:
I kinda like EAA. :shrug:
:hi5:

Vanilla iiiiicecreeaam, g-g-girls of fouuurteeen

Ahem. I don't really rank Passengers among my U2 album rankings, as it's not really a u2 album, but I do rather like it. Perhaps even more than a few certain U2 albums.

I have a weakness for movie soundtracks, and especially movie scores, so I looove Passengers. I especially like listening to it when I'm lying in bed before going to sleep, or having it on in the background when I'm writing, as it doesn't prove too distracting.

I'll try to do a ranking:

1. Slug
2. Beach Sequence
3. Always Forever Now
4. Your Blue Room
5. Theme from Let's Go Native
Miss Sarajevo
6. One Minute Warning
7. Theme from The Swan
8. Elvis Ate America
9. United Colours
10. Corpse (These Chains Are Way Too Long)
11. Plot 180
12. Ito Okashi
13. A Different Kind of Blue

:hmm: that looks about right.

Varitek said:
My problem with a lot of Passengers tracks is that they were perfectly good pieces of music until the lyrics ruined them. And I originally typed songs instead of "tracks" and "pieces of music" but I realized I consider nothing but Your Blue Room and Miss Sarajevo songs, except for maybe Always Forever Now which has terribly annoying lyrics and Slug which I'd love if it weren't for the shit lyrics.

:shrug: lyrics are really important to me

I'm a lyrics guy, and I don't have a problem with most of the lyrics on Passengers. One Minute Warning, for example, is good lyrically. They slay almost anything post-Pop, that's for sure.

Axver said:

I'm a lyrics guy, and I don't have a problem with most of the lyrics on Passengers. One Minute Warning, for example, is good lyrically. They slay almost anything post-Pop, that's for sure.

I guess I'm kind of with DreamOutLoud - I just don't consider it a U2 album, but it has its moments and purposes.

One Minute Warning is actually my exception to my dislike for Passengers lyrics (which I don't believe ever got the effort most U2 lyrics got). Just about where the lyrics start, with 1:09 to go, is just about where the obnoxious twang stops and where I start liking the song. But I can't judge it based on 1/4 of the song, and I really dislike the other 3/4.

Edit: re: passenger lyrics better than anything post-pop - I think there's some real gems post-pop. Mostly on ATYCLB - Kite, Walk On, In a Little While, for example.

Also, I get a big kick out of "Elvis...would have been a sissy without Johnny Cash."

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom