Rest of U2 Survivor: October - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote for your least favorite song

• Gloria

Votes: 2 3.2%
  • I Fall Down

Votes: 4 6.5%
  • I Threw a Brick Through a Window

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Rejoice

Votes: 1 1.6%
  • Fire

Votes: 6 9.7%
  • Tomorrow

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • With a Shout

Votes: 5 8.1%
  • Stranger In a Strange Land

Votes: 8 12.9%
  • Scarlet

Votes: 10 16.1%
  • Is That All?

Votes: 25 40.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
dr. zooeuss said:
I can agree with that, though it did take on another title. In any case it is maybe a moot point.

OK, either you've misread what I've said, or I've misread what you've said.

From August 1979 until March 1980, U2 played a song called The Silver Lining. It musically resembles 11 O'clock Tick Tock, but is lyrically different. It has never been released in any form.

In April 1980, U2 recorded and released a song named 11 O'clock Tick Tock.

After April 1980, U2 played a song live called 11 O'clock Tick Tock, which in almost all of its ~300 performances has contained the "call out your name" verse and a second solo (present on the UABRS live version but not on the studio version).

The band did not rename the song due to adding the verse or solo. It kept the 11 O'clock Tick Tock name.

You make an interesting point about songs performed live before album recordings. You seem to see that as the careful opportunity they took to develop a song before recording, but I've always thought of it more as a consequence of their inexperience and lack of back-catalogue to fill a setlist in the very early years. It seems to me that once they had enough "established material" to stop doing this, they stopped as soon as possible.

Well, I agree with why you think they played material before releasing it - they pretty much had to. But my point is that as a by-product of that, by the time they got into the studio to record Boy, they knew these songs very, very well. All you need to do is listen to the February 1979 version of Twilight (on Another Day's single) or the June 1979 versions of OOC and SFB (on U2:3) to see how these songs evolved from then through to mid-1980. U2, for better or worse, no longer choose to air anything that isn't already laid down in the studio, and I think one consequence of that is a number of songs are not fully completed until later.

A big part of my point is that apart from the "top 3"- the songs from October were either played live 1) never, 2) early 80s or 3) early to mid 80s. So maybe it even goes a bit deeper than many of them being "unfinished", to the level of them never really being interesting to the band to begin with- ie they were album filler, then set filler, and were dropped from the tour list as soon as better material came along, from War, UF, etc.

This has some truth, but I'd like to make two points:

1. One of the October "top 3" was victim of this too. Tomorrow was played thrice in 1982 and about thirty times over the period of about 2 months in 1983, and has never been heard from again.
2. When the final October songs (barring Gloria and October) were cut, U2 at the time were making a subtle break with the past in their live sets. Songs like I Fall Down and ITABTAW ended their live career around the same time as the likes of Surrender, Twilight, THBAO, An Cat Dubh, Wire, et al. Now, yes, a couple of those have been briefly resurrected at later stages, but you certainly notice a big difference between the 1984-5 setlists and those of 1987. So I'm not sure you can really say the October songs discarded at that point were discarded due to being unfinished filler, as a lot of other stuff went around that time, material most of us would not consider filler.

I would agree that the obvious filler and unfinished tracks had an understandably brief live career. SIASL's unfinished nature didn't lend itself to live performances. The Cry stayed as The Cry and was never done as ITA. Scarlet, we could argue for hours about whether it was filler or just didn't suit being played live (though was done once). I'd say Rejoice was neither filler nor unfinished but just too demanding on Larry.

I guess it also raises the question for me, if it's so well-known that Pop was rushed and unfinished, why do we never hear the same said of Achtung Baby, if the live reinventions of the songs truly indicate they were "unfinished"?

Because this forum can't stop falling over itself to praise that shoddy album?

I want to include a few quotes from U2 by U2 about the October sessions//era that I know I've read in the past and contributed to my impression that the album is not "finished".

All good, relevant quotes - they certainly illustrate the point. I do wonder how much revisionist history there is, knowing U2's changing attitudes towards Pop, though I think even around the time of October there were comments along the lines you posted.

I guess what I'm trying to say is that I think October is not exceptionally incomplete, and has a good number of individual songs - the majority - that, to me, seem pretty finished and were not redeveloped live. They sound rushed, especially lyrically. The album itself, as an overall piece of work, is incomplete - the Scarlet/ITA passage proves that as a work of art, it was never pieced together properly. But as for many of the songs themselves? I see no reason to believe Gloria, ITABTAW, Rejoice, Fire, Tomorrow, October, WAS, or Scarlet are any more unfinished than WOWY, One, Discotheque, Bullet, etc. Whether they're more complete - now that's contentious, depending on your comparisons and personal favourites.

Now shall we continue this on round 2's thread? :wink:

Rob33 said:
why do people consider New York a "filler" track? I like this song...

I'm not sure where this came from, but if it's in response to Axver, I pretty sure he was talking about New York the place, as it relates to the song "Indian Summer Sky" and not the song, "New York".

no someone else brought it up when they were talking about how they listened to ATYCLB recently and really enjoyed it..."New York" was touched on but I thought this was the time to mention it rather than starting a new thread or whatever...And since voting for our least favorite song on October turned into something completely different I thought it was ok :wink:

also, it seems like these polls are lasting more than 48 hours... :hmm:

Scarlet with 10 votes :mad: :shame:

Rob33 said:
also, it seems like these polls are lasting more than 48 hours... :hmm:

It may be longer than 48 hours before I post the next poll, but I believe the poll changes to "this poll is closed" at 48 hours.

I can't confirm that, but ... :shrug:

Back
Top Bottom