Rest of U2 Survivor: HTDAAB - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Love and Peace

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • City of Blinding Lights

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
phillyfan26 said:

I called you an idiot because it's the simplest method of getting my point across. I figured it would end at that. I guess I was wrong.

If you honestly want me to go into an explanation as to why, I'll sum up:

My advice? Vote, view the polls, see what happens. Get your thoughts in if you want. But honestly, do you think what Cori did had any effect on the outcome? This isn't some system where we're trying to avoid any problems or inaccuracies. We want a fairly accurate system that moves quickly when it can. Here, it could, because it was clear how things were going. Simple as that. This isn't the electoral college, it's a U2 poll.

I don't care that you're a teacher, honestly. I've known plenty of teachers in my day who were idiots, so pointing out that you're a teacher numerous times isn't impressing or intimidating me.

Grow up.

You're response is proof that your immature.. Go to college, get a job, work in the real world for a few years. Then talk to me.

The difference between mature people and immature people is: Mature people can have an arguement without resorting to personal insults....immature people call names and have nothing to back themselves up. I have no problem with Cori. Maybe I debate methods in polling but I'm not gonna call that person an idiot...and I'll will very happily talk to cori at any time with no problem whatsoever.

"Grow up"

ImOuttaControl said:

Obviously you have had no experience with polling people. Assuming that because A and B are tied means that C is going to win is very, very innacurate.

Obviously you think we're going for statistically valid results here. Of course we aren't. It's a bit of fun and that's all. No need to turn it into a serious exercise. But if you must, you're obviously overlooking the fact these polls suffer from far too much self-selection bias to produce statistically valid results anyway.

Plus, let's be honest. As much as we say "studio versions only," there's no way you can not be influenced by your love for a live version over a studio version.

No way, I say!

Did it reflect in my own voting?

I plead the fifth.

:shifty:

ImOuttaControl said:
Yep..and a damn good one at that. I was told by my boss that there were about 300 applicants to the job I got, so don't dare criticize my ability there.

Your lessons in humility mustn't be very good.

ImOuttaControl said:
You're response is proof that your immature.. Go to college, get a job, work in the real world for a few years. Then talk to me.

The difference between mature people and immature people is: Mature people can have an arguement without resorting to personal insults....immature people call names and have nothing to back themselves up. I have no problem with Cori. Maybe I debate methods in polling but I'm not gonna call that person an idiot...and I'll will very happily talk to cori at any time with no problem whatsoever.

"Grow up"

Do you think I thought I was being mature when I called you an idiot? Of course I didn't! That wasn't my point. I wasn't expecting to get into some kind of civilized discourse, but that's the way it has turned out. Now that I have moved on, get off the idiot comment and read the most recent post. Then reply to it.

Axver said:

Obviously you think we're going for statistically valid results here. Of course we aren't. It's a bit of fun and that's all. No need to turn it into a serious exercise. But if you must, you're obviously overlooking the fact these polls suffer from far too much self-selection bias to produce statistically valid results anyway.

Self-selection bias? That's what polling is all about... Do you want McCain, Clinton, or Obama....

That would be self selection bais, but would that not be accurate if given to enough people.

Seriously...I know this is for fun and all that, I don't care about the outcome. I won't go to work tomorrow and say "dammit, Miracle Drug and Original of the Species were double-eliminated.." I just figure that if we're doing a poll, why not have it as accurate as possible?

I just figure that if we're doing a poll, why not have it as accurate as possible?

Because it's supposed to be fun?

Waiting around when the outcome is obvious has statistically been shown to drastically reduce the amount of fun present.

:wink:

Guys, we're arguing about a minor poll on a relatively insignificant fan forum on the Internet that only about 20 - 70 people vote on regularly, that will have no impact on your life at all. Is it really that important?

Alternatively, :corn:

phillyfan26 said:

Do you think I thought I was being mature when I called you an idiot? Of course I didn't! That wasn't my point. I wasn't expecting to get into some kind of civilized discourse, but that's the way it has turned out. Now that I have moved on, get off the idiot comment and read the most recent post. Then reply to it.

Sorry, if you stoop to the immature level, I'm not seriously going to go back and read your comments at this point.

Amazing...at work we just had an inservice on the millenium generation being able to insult people online and how those same people wouldn't say the same things face to face...so I will disregard your remarks as a product of the times... I meant no offense to anybody here...apparently it's hard to have a dissenting viewpoint.

Use your next post wisely - it'll be #1,000!

(Use it to voice another dissenting opinion. :wink: )

ImOuttaControl said:

Self-selection bias? That's what polling is all about... Do you want McCain, Clinton, or Obama....

That would be self selection bais, but would that not be accurate if given to enough people.

OK, what the hell do US presidential candidates have to do with the fact people self-select whether or not to participate in Survivor polls and thus the polls cannot be considered a statistically accurate reflection of the preferences of the whole Interference membership?

Seriously...I know this is for fun and all that, I don't care about the outcome. I won't go to work tomorrow and say "dammit, Miracle Drug and Original of the Species were double-eliminated.." I just figure that if we're doing a poll, why not have it as accurate as possible?

You're the only person who thinks we're sacrificing accuracy though.

major_panic said:
Guys, we're arguing about a minor poll on a relatively insignificant fan forum on the Internet that only about 20 - 70 people vote on regularly, that will have no impact on your life at all. Is it really that important?

Alternatively, :corn:
[/QUOTE

No it's not!!! :yes:

Personal flaw...cannot walk away from an arguement.....You're totally right though.

ImOuttaControl said:

Sorry, if you stoop to the immature level, I'm not seriously going to go back and read your comments at this point.

Amazing...at work we just had an inservice on the millenium generation being able to insult people online and how those same people wouldn't say the same things face to face...so I will disregard your remarks as a product of the times... I meant no offense to anybody here...apparently it's hard to have a dissenting viewpoint.

Now, we get on the high horse.

Well done. Congrats. Beautifully drawn up cop out.

Trust me - had I been in a fouler mood, I would have probably reacted quite differently.

And then felt really bad about it tomorrow morning.

:wink:

If ImOuttaControl was around for the "Business Trips ... Are they LEGIT ??" thread, there'd be more of an understand as to why I found it so funny and appropriate to simply write, "You're an idiot."

But, alas, there's no context, and, thus, my comment comes off as slightly immature and a perfect cop out for the more "respectable" members of our society.

So, I'll run along to my playgrounds trading swear-laden insults with 12-year olds until I can attain the college education and boss approval of someone such as ImOuttaControl. Farewell, polls.

phillyfan26 said:

Now, we get on the high horse.

Well done. Congrats. Beautifully drawn up cop out.

How is that a cop out? I told the truth...we had an inservice this week about the millenium generation...and I've gotten to the point after 3 years of teaching that I won't respond to immature comments or insults...

Sorry that's the truth..

No offense to you or anyone else...I want civil debates and no personal insults for our differences. My lord am I turning into a hippy?

phillyfan26 said:
If ImOuttaControl was around for the "Business Trips ... Are they LEGIT ??" thread, there'd be more of an understand as to why I found it so funny and appropriate to simply write, "You're an idiot."

But, alas, there's no context, and, thus, my comment comes off as slightly immature and a perfect cop out for the more "respectable" members of our society.

So, I'll run along to my playgrounds trading swear-laden insults with 12-year olds until I can attain the college education and boss approval of someone such as ImOuttaControl. Farewell, polls.

Wow...

Just...wow....

I hope you learn to deal with people. I'm sure you're a good person, but this isn't the way to deal with people. Online posting is often misinterpreted...I hold no one to what they say online

pfan is full of rage. He was raised by wolves, or lives in a box or something.

It's all very sordid.

corianderstem said:
pfan is full of rage. He was raised by wolves, or lives in a box or something.

It's all very sordid.
:shh: The less they know, they more they believe.

Funny thing? I never saw a can of Milwaukee's Best until I visited Colorado in college. Never saw it anywhere in Wisconsin.

Now if you'll excuse me, I'm still in mourning over the retirement of Our Lord Favre.

Amen.

Ya sure you betcha.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom