Rest of U2 Survivor: HTDAAB - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Love and Peace

Votes: 56 72.7%
  • City of Blinding Lights

Votes: 21 27.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
corianderstem said:
What a strange final two.

Repeating from last thread:

If people aren't cool with the closing early to preserve double elimination, pipe up here or in the next poll and I won't do it going forward.

I know one already piped up, but what say all of you?

Why this constant need to "preserve double elimination???"

I usually love these type of contests, but I feel this is one of the worst I've ever taken part in. These "double elimination" to get to the end game is just plain stupid; especially when polls are ended before the time alloted.

Just because one votes for Miracle Drug does NOT mean that they will vote for OOTS on the next round, or vice versa...maybe one would vote for COBL... I voted for LAPOE and I would have definitely voted for MD in the next round. This is the most un-democratic poll of the sort I've ever seen....why does the creator of this poll not just pick their favorite from every album and call those the winners every time. (You do know, some people vote towards the end when they happen to come on the site.)

Like I've said before...these are meaningless polls...but why not let them actually play out without artificially creating the results you want?

Last edited:
Thanks for your two cents. I won't do the ending-early-for-double-elimination thing anymore. Sorry if it cheesed anyone off too much. :)

Plus, starting with the non-album songs, we're dropping back down to 24 hour polls, so it won't even be an issue.

ImOuttaControl said:
why does the creator of this poll not just pick their favorite from every album and call those the winners every time.

Oh, come on. It hasn't been THAT bad. :lol:

ImOuttaControl said:

Why this constant need to "preserve double elimination???"

I usually love these type of contests, but I feel this is one of the worst I've ever taken part in. These "double elimination" to get to the end game is just plain stupid; especially when polls are ended before the time alloted.

Just because one votes for Miracle Drug does NOT mean that they will vote for OOTS on the next round, or vice versa...maybe one would vote for COBL... I voted for LAPOE and I would have definitely voted for MD in the next round. This is the most un-democratic poll of the sort I've ever seen....why does the creator of this poll not just pick their favorite from every album and call those the winners every time. (You do know, some people vote towards the end when they happen to come on the site.)

Like I've said before...these are meaningless polls...but why not let them actually play out without artificially creating the results you want?

:rolleyes:

corianderstem said:
Thanks for your two cents. I won't do the ending-early-for-double-elimination thing anymore. Sorry if it cheesed anyone off too much. :)

No, I reckon we should still keep it. I think almost everybody has appreciated it speeding up a very long tournament and eliminating some of the most pointless and predictable rounds. This one whiny person's vastly outnumbered.

corianderstem said:

Plus, starting with the non-album songs, we're dropping back down to 24 hour polls, so it won't even be an issue.

Oh, come on. It hasn't been THAT bad. :lol:

Maybe it isn't that bad...but simply ending a poll early is assuming too much....

Lets say that the last round I thought that MD was the worst song and I voted for it...

Maybe next I would have voted for LAPOE

Then COBL...

OOTS may have been my favorite song...but being that the poll was ended early in a tie in round one, the results are skewed...

I'm a social studies teacher and have many experiences with polls that we do often in class and find that one can't assume too much--- I find "ending it early in double elimination" is very un-representative....because one or two votes can really change perspective, and you have no idea how someone will vote in the next round.

ImOuttaControl said:

Maybe it isn't that bad...but simply ending a poll early is assuming too much....

Lets say that the last round I thought that MD was the worst song and I voted for it...

Maybe next I would have voted for LAPOE

Then COBL...

OOTS may have been my favorite song...but being that the poll was ended early in a tie in round one, the results are skewed...

I'm a social studies teacher and have many experiences with polls that we do often in class and find that one can't assume too much--- I find "ending it early in double elimination" is very un-representative....because one or two votes can really change perspective, and you have no idea how someone will vote in the next round.

So you think that despite the fact that LAPOE is clearly, clearly clearly getting owned this round, if there was another round and it somehow survived, people wouldn't vote for it again?

Axver said:

No, I reckon we should still keep it. I think almost everybody has appreciated it speeding up a very long tournament and eliminating some of the most pointless and predictable rounds. This one whiny person's vastly outnumbered.

Obviously you have had no experience with polling people. Assuming that because A and B are tied means that C is going to win is very, very innacurate.

To be fair, I probably shouldn't have ended this last poll early - even though there was a tie, LAPOE wasn't all that far behind.

I think this is only the second time I did the early double-elimination thing, and it wasn't even close the last time, so I think I'm allowed one bad call, right? :wink:

But I don't think there was anything remotely close enough to make a difference in the rounds that ended early due to one song having a wide lead.

Oh well. Thus is life.

No, you're not. This is a huge scandal, and I'm preparing to call for your impeachment. This incident will now be referred to as Pollgate.

Awesome! I've always wanted to be involved in a scandal.

:hyper:

Do you think they'll talk nonstop about me on all the news channels? I hope so. I'm dying to meet Bill O'RLY and pop him one in the jaw.

ImOuttaControl said:

Obviously you have had no experience with polling people. Assuming that because A and B are tied means that C is going to win is very, very innacurate.

Assuming any song had any chance of beating COBL is very inaccurate. The point of these polls is to look at U2 fan trends, not make an exact science out of it. I'll be if you were around when the alters voted you would have called for the entire thing to be re-done.

phillyfan26 said:
No, you're not. This is a huge scandal, and I'm preparing to call for your impeachment. This incident will now be referred to as Pollgate.

No need to go that far ;) ....

If you want truely accurate results, do not wait for 2 songs to be tied to suddenly declare a double elimination. Maybe 90 percent of those voting for MD would have voted for LAPOE in the next round....sorry..I'm a teacher...I like thing to be accurate.

phillyfan26 said:

Assuming any song had any chance of beating COBL is very inaccurate. The point of these polls is to look at U2 fan trends, not make an exact science out of it. I'll be if you were around when the alters voted you would have called for the entire thing to be re-done.

Well..why have a poll at all if thats the mentality. Every U2 fan thinks that COBL is the best song off of HTTAAB.. Why have a poll?

LETS CALL THE WHOLE THING OFF

ImOuttaControl said:

Well..why have a poll at all if thats the mentality. Every U2 fan thinks that COBL is the best song off of HTTAAB.. Why have a poll?

You're an idiot.

ImOuttaControl said:

Tomato!
To-mah-to!

Let's call the whole thing off

But ooooooooooh
if we call the whole thing off, then we must part

and ooooooooooh
if we call it off then that would break my heart

we'd better call the calling off off!

ImOuttaControl said:

You say potato and I say potato, you say tomato and I say tomato!

Pulling this back on topic, if either COBL and LAPOE had been eliminated before MD and OOTS, I'd have eaten a wine bottle.

: does desperate tap dance to try and maintain peace :

Lookit! Lookit me, guys! Come on! Whee! Fun! Yay! Peace and love!!!!!

: tappity tappity tappa tappa tappa :

ImOuttaControl said:

If you're going to start calling names, then FOAD.

Funny, I teach 7th graders who'd make this sort of insult to each other.

So, hold on, you're a teacher?

phillyfan26 said:

So, hold on, you're a teacher?

Yep..and a damn good one at that. I was told by my boss that there were about 300 applicants to the job I got, so don't dare criticize my ability there.

You call names, I tell you to fuck off. Because I'm a teacher does not mean that I don't have the ablity to be a prick online, in this make believe world....I don't get paid enough for not being able to do what I want in my spare time...

I simply point out that you can't have accurate polling by ending a poll early and people jump down my throat.

I love City of Blinding Lights.

Love and Peace Or Else is just okay, but it's damn fun live. I love what they do with the bass and Larry on the single drum. And I loved seeing Bono wailing away on that thing during U2 3D.

Good stuff, man. I'm sayin'.

corianderstem said:
I love City of Blinding Lights.

Love and Peace Or Else is just okay, but it's damn fun live. I love what they do with the bass and Larry on the single drum. And I loved seeing Bono wailing away on that thing during U2 3D.

Good stuff, man. I'm sayin'.

COBL live--freaking great...the confetti, the anticipation...that's what made the song for great.... I was in front row in Chicago when they filmed the DVD so the whole thing is immortalized for me......I wish they'd have put it on U23D

ImOuttaControl said:

COBL live--freaking great...the confetti, the anticipation...that's what made the song for great.... I was in front row in Chicago when they filmed the DVD so the whole thing is immortalized for me......I wish they'd have put it on U23D

Nice! :envy:

Me too. That was my one major quibble with the setlist they chose for the movie.

So, Duluth, huh? That's a cold, cold place.

<---- from north central Wisconsin

corianderstem said:
Me too. That was my one major quibble with the setlist they chose for the movie.

So, Duluth, huh? That's a cold, cold place.

<---- from north central Wisconsin

Yeah...the confetti in 3D would have been fantastic!!!

I'm actually a bit north of duluth in a little town on lake superior...beautiful place.

North central Wisconsin?? Very cool...I went to college at UW-Superior and spent many a days in Cheezehead Land.

ImOuttaControl said:
Yep..and a damn good one at that. I was told by my boss that there were about 300 applicants to the job I got, so don't dare criticize my ability there.

You call names, I tell you to fuck off. Because I'm a teacher does not mean that I don't have the ablity to be a prick online, in this make believe world....I don't get paid enough for not being able to do what I want in my spare time...

I simply point out that you can't have accurate polling by ending a poll early and people jump down my throat.

I called you an idiot because it's the simplest method of getting my point across. I figured it would end at that. I guess I was wrong.

If you honestly want me to go into an explanation as to why, I'll sum up:

My advice? Vote, view the polls, see what happens. Get your thoughts in if you want. But honestly, do you think what Cori did had any effect on the outcome? This isn't some system where we're trying to avoid any problems or inaccuracies. We want a fairly accurate system that moves quickly when it can. Here, it could, because it was clear how things were going. Simple as that. This isn't the electoral college, it's a U2 poll.

I don't care that you're a teacher, honestly. I've known plenty of teachers in my day who were idiots, so pointing out that you're a teacher numerous times isn't impressing or intimidating me.

Grow up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom