Rest of U2 Survivor: Boy - Round 7

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• An Cat Dubh / Into the Heart

Votes: 33 49.3%
  • Out of Control

Votes: 29 43.3%
  • The Electric Co.

Votes: 5 7.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
CTU2fan said:
Is that really part of the "ground rules", not considering the live versions? I mean, take War for example...I prefer the album version of NYD to the album version of SBS, but I think SBS is the better song. Am I supposed to penalize SBS because I think the studio version is lacking?

Yes. It's been part of the rules all along, as the studio versions are our (readily available) basis for comparison. However, stopping people from voting based on live versions sometimes feels like fighting the tide. I wonder how well The Electric Co. would have done pre-28 March 2005. I remember it was well liked here, but this well liked? I'm not sure. The best we can do is simply to discourage people from voting on anything beyond the studio versions.

gareth brown said:
:huh: i still think there's a hole in the "rules" of this whole damn thing with One Tree Hill still being in this competition so anything goes...:wink:

Not a hole. A song is excluded if it is on the regular pressing. Therefore, October is out, despite being a hidden track, as it's on the regular pressing of 1980-1990, but One Tree Hill and The Fly are in because they are merely bonus tracks on one or two pressings. I Will Follow's presence as a UK U2:18 bonus is irrelevant as it gets excluded due to its inclusion on the regular 1980-1990.

LemonMelon said:
If live versions can't be considered, I'm surprised that Bad did so well in the previous competition. The live versions of that are out of this world, but I find the studio version extremely dull.

The studio version seems quite popular, from what I've seen. Speaking for myself, I think it's the third best song U2 has ever made and I've loved it since I was ten. I didn't hear a live version until I was sixteen.

Hey, if it's a tie, The Electric Co. wins and we proceed instantly to October. I hope it stays tied!

Electric Co. again. Mostly voting that way because I don't like the studio version nearly as much as the live versions. But I think I'm going to stop voting this way because I think very few others are sticking to the studio versions when making their decisions.

Really, the three songs are about tied in my mind. I love the youthful exuberance of Out of Control, I think An Cat Dubh is absolutely haunting, and Electric Co. is a great rocker. Tough to vote any of them out.

SeattleVertigo said:
Electric Co. again. Mostly voting that way because I don't like the studio version nearly as much as the live versions. But I think I'm going to stop voting this way because I think very few others are sticking to the studio versions when making their decisions.

Really, the three songs are about tied in my mind. I love the youthful exuberance of Out of Control, I think An Cat Dubh is absolutely haunting, and Electric Co. is a great rocker. Tough to vote any of them out.

I agree completely with everything here :up:

there is no way people aren't taking into account the songs live...

SeattleVertigo said:
But I think I'm going to stop voting this way because I think very few others are sticking to the studio versions when making their decisions.

Please don't. I don't see many - any? - people posting that they're voting on the basis of live versions.

In any case, we stick to studio versions for fairness. Not everyone has live recordings, and the official releases don't do a good job of representing some albums live (for example, October is very poorly represented). That would mean some people are voting on the basis of bootlegs and some on the basis of studio albums, and in that case, we might as well run two separate polls. In any case, for some songs, which live version are you choosing? I mean, for Bullet, I'm sure the ZooTV version would stick around longer than the Vertigo version. Keeping to studio versions allows for consistency.

I'm definitely not going by live songs. I voted TEC because as much as I agree with SeattleVertigo's last post, TEC is just so much better a live song, even if it is great on the album too.
But ACD and OOC are like the heart of Boy to me.

Axver said:

Please don't. I don't see many - any? - people posting that they're voting on the basis of live versions.

In any case, we stick to studio versions for fairness. Not everyone has live recordings, and the official releases don't do a good job of representing some albums live (for example, October is very poorly represented). That would mean some people are voting on the basis of bootlegs and some on the basis of studio albums, and in that case, we might as well run two separate polls. In any case, for some songs, which live version are you choosing? I mean, for Bullet, I'm sure the ZooTV version would stick around longer than the Vertigo version. Keeping to studio versions allows for consistency.

Well, I'll certainly take what you say into consideration. I'm just experiencing frustration because I'm like, how the hell is Electric Co. so far ahead when I think the studio version is mediocre? I feel like I'm voting based on different criteria than other folks here -- that's no fun.

At any rate, it's not an issue for that many songs that I can think of. Electric Co. just stands out for me as being a song that I fell in love with on UABRS and bootleg versions instead of the studio version, which I always thought was somewhat of a disappointment.

I think the studio version is great. Second or third best on the album.

The top three: Twilight, An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart, and Electric Co., are all heads above the rest.

SeattleVertigo said:
I'm just experiencing frustration because I'm like, how the hell is Electric Co. so far ahead when I think the studio version is mediocre?

I think we all have songs like that, though. I mean, I'm baffled as to how anyone could possibly like One, let alone consider it good enough to reach the Song Survivor final, when the only listenable version is 23 September 1997 and the studio version's totally worthless due to the absence of the "do you hear us coming?" verse. But that's part of the game really, that something you think is mediocre will succeed, or something you think is awesome will fail (like what just happened with A Day Without Me in my view).

One other reason why I think live versions shouldn't be factored into consideration is because not all songs have been done live. Is it really fair to compare the live Electric Co. to, say, the studio Promenade? We don't even know what Promenade would have been like in the live setting. Now, sure, some people are being influenced by live versions and I'm probably fighting the tide, but I can do all in my power to try to dissuade it. These tournaments aren't perfect after all, but if we can maintain some consistency, I think it would be good.

Maybe that's what we could do in future, a Live Survivor? Cut everything not done live. Though then the problem would be "OMG I haven't heard Touch live MP3 PLZ!!!1!1!!11eleventyoneI'llvoteforOneanyway"

Axver said:
I think we all have songs like that, though. I mean, I'm baffled as to how anyone could possibly like One, let alone consider it good enough to reach the Song Survivor final, when the only listenable version is 23 September 1997 and the studio version's totally worthless due to the absence of the "do you hear us coming?" verse.

:banghead: The studio version of One is far superior to every other live version ever recorded in human existence!!! :mad:

:)

Sure, the "do you hear us coming, lord" part was nice. But there is something in the studio version that is absent in all of the live versions. It's either something to do with the strings or the way Bono sings, I cannot accept that any live version is better than the one on Achtung Baby.

damn...the only LISTENABLE version of one?

that seems quite harsh and a poor example, as i think the studio version of One is many people's preference...

but that is beside the point, back on topic, I'd just like to say that yes Axver I was thinking along the same lines as far as a live only poll somewhere down the line, that might be cool...

Look, guys. There is no way any of us can tell if everyone is voting based on studio versions or live versions. No way! So another poll is pointless. :wink:

An Cat Dubh is better in the studio and Out Of Control is better live. But I still prefer ACT (studio) to OOC (live) I think.

Zootlesque said:
Sure, the "do you hear us coming, lord" part was nice. But there is something in the studio version that is absent in all of the live versions. It's either something to do with the strings or the way Bono sings, I cannot accept that any live version is better than the one on Achtung Baby.

See, I don't like the way Bono sings it on the album, I think the vocals are more powerful live, not to mention the guitar is stronger and the mixing on Achtung Baby sounds like shit (not that that's unusual for a U2 album). I feel that without the "do you hear us coming?" verse, the end of One is, well, neutered and wimpy. It just blathers into pointlessness rather than reaching a meaningful conclusion.

Yes, I know you're sending me a letterbomb for that. :wink:

Rob33 said:
damn...the only LISTENABLE version of one?

that seems quite harsh and a poor example, as i think the studio version of One is many people's preference...

You're new, so I'll forgive you for not knowing I'm probably this forum's most prominent One detractor. :wink:

I don't hate it the most out of anyone here, but I post too much. Liamcool's probably going to kill me for claiming that One has any good qualities whatsoever or that a listenable live version exists. But hey, I like Pride, so he was probably going to kill me anyway!

in regards to ACD vs OOC... OOC is a great song, basically summing up everything that U2 were about around that time... but ACD is such a fantastic composition for such a young band...

Axver said:

See, I don't like the way Bono sings it on the album, I think the vocals are more powerful live, not to mention the guitar is stronger and the mixing on Achtung Baby sounds like shit (not that that's unusual for a U2 album). I feel that without the "do you hear us coming?" verse, the end of One is, well, neutered and wimpy. It just blathers into pointlessness rather than reaching a meaningful conclusion.

Yes, I know you're sending me a letterbomb for that. :wink:

You're new, so I'll forgive you for not knowing I'm probably this forum's most prominent One detractor. :wink:

I don't hate it the most out of anyone here, but I post too much. Liamcool's probably going to kill me for claiming that One has any good qualities whatsoever or that a listenable live version exists. But hey, I like Pride, so he was probably going to kill me anyway!

I agree with Axver. But the only version of One I listen to is the Miss Sarajevo b-side.

Axver said:
Not a hole. A song is excluded if it is on the regular pressing. Therefore, October is out, despite being a hidden track, as it's on the regular pressing of 1980-1990, but One Tree Hill and The Fly are in because they are merely bonus tracks on one or two pressings. I Will Follow's presence as a UK U2:18 bonus is irrelevant as it gets excluded due to its inclusion on the regular 1980-1990.

again - NOT BEING 100% SERIOUS. you don't have to explain yourself it's FINE.

You know, before I voted for Electric Co., it had 5 votes. Then I voted, and it still had 5 votes. I thought, OK, maybe my vote will show up in a few minutes. But 14 or 15 hours later, it's STILL at 5 votes. This is strange.

DreamOutLoud13 said:
An Cat Dubh/Into the Heart is getting voted off?

I have lost all respect for this thread :tsk:

Me too. Piss poor job out of Interference on this one.

Back
Top Bottom