Rest of U2 Survivor: ATYCLB - Round 1

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Kite

Votes: 2 2.2%
  • In a Little While

Votes: 3 3.4%
  • Wild Honey

Votes: 18 20.2%
  • Peace On Earth

Votes: 16 18.0%
  • When I Look At the World

Votes: 7 7.9%
  • New York

Votes: 12 13.5%
  • Grace

Votes: 31 34.8%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Status
Not open for further replies.
Varitek said:
I just can't really listen to the last half of the album, WILATW excepted, and WILATW suffers from having a similar tone to the rest of them even if it's a better song. bono doesn't sing well on it though.

New York - most interesting melody of the dreadful 4, but god, stupid lyrics and I am a Bostonian so I have long resented it, even if I actually love living in NY. And the lyrics are utter shit except for the last verse, which is decent but nothing spectacular.

Wild Honey - aforementioned monkey bullshit. crap twangy guitar. wiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiiild honey whine. ugh.

Grace - oh god. talk about a mix of trite lyrics (see: the last verse) and wtf lyrics (karma) and captain obvious lyrics (name for a girl).

Peace on Earth - I agree that it could have had potential. I might like this best if I think about it, of the 4 shithole songs. But I might like NY best. I don't mind the chorus's lyrics but they could have crescendo'd and been so much more. I don't mind the lyrics really taht much, they are nothing special, though I really dislike the first 2 lines and from there it sort of goes to sleep. The melody is ugh, and Edge could have been doing something really interesting with his guitar.

ATYCLB for the phail

There is the reason my personal ATYCLB mix only features one of those songs - New York.

LemonMelon said:
This may be the most hyper-critical U2 survivor round I've ever seen.

But HTDAAB is still yet to come.

It can only go downhill from here...

Kite's gonna cruise, especially with Vertigo Kite Australia still fresh in everyone's minds...

I'm suprised with the overwhelming lack of hatred for In A Little While, as it's only gotten one vote thusfar.

the tourist said:
I'm suprised with the overwhelming lack of hatred for In A Little While, as it's only gotten one vote thusfar.

It's a decent song, really. But I don't expect it to win or anything.

the tourist said:
i think it's one of the best things U2 has done this decade, and it's definitely in my personal top 10 U2 songs.

I would have voted IALW, but my New York hate eclipsed all else. IALW is next for me. I agree, tourist, I'm surprised its only got one vote.

:drool: Kite and WILATW

Beautiful Day is amazing, BTW. :cute: Just wanted to say that, even though it's irrelevant.

LemonMelon said:

It's a decent song, really. But I don't expect it to win or anything.

I actually like it, too. I think a lot of people don't like it because of the amount of strain in Bono's voice. I think it adds character to it.

luna_lovegood said:
I would have voted IALW, but my New York hate eclipsed all else. IALW is next for me. I agree, tourist, I'm surprised its only got one vote.

I'm of a feeling you'll be voting New York for a few rounds....

the tourist said:

I actually like it, too. I think a lot of people don't like it because of the amount of strain in Bono's voice. I think it adds character to it.

Definitely agree with that. It's strong lyrically too.

But the production...ugh...it's too sweet and shiny. And the "a man takes a rocketship into the skies" line has always bugged me. Rocketship? Not the most poetic thing Bono has written. :wink:

Other than that, it's great, sure.

LemonMelon said:

Definitely agree with that. It's strong lyrically too.

But the production...ugh...it's too sweet and shiny. And the "a man takes a rocketship into the skies" line has always bugged me. Rocketship? Not the most poetic thing Bono has written. :wink:

Other than that, it's great, sure.

Eh, I even like that line.

When the night takes a deep breath
And the daylight has no end
If I crawl, if I come crawling home
WiIl you be there

In a little while
I will blow by every breeze
Friday night running
To Sunday on my knees

:drool: :drool: :drool: A wonderful pair of verses there.

Oh, and New York may get a ton of bashing for its lyrical content, but I adore its last verse:

In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering
Come away now

Plus, there are a few scattered lines that work really well, particularly in the first verse. It gets a bit silly after that.

LemonMelon said:
Oh, and New York may get a ton of bashing for its lyrical content, but I adore its last verse:

In the stillness of the evening
When the sun has had its day
I heard your voice whispering
Come away now

Plus, there are a few scattered lines that work really well, particularly in the first verse. It gets a bit silly after that.

If New York had gotten an If God Will Send His Angels/Walk On verse-paring, it would have been much better. If it came in at 4:25 or so, with only verse banter cut (and with the baaa-daaa-da-da-daaaa! of the live version at the end), it would have been one of the strongest songs on the album.

the tourist said:

If New York had gotten an If God Will Send His Angels/Walk On verse-paring, it would have been much better. If it came in at 4:25 or so, with only verse banter cut (and with the baaa-daaa-da-da-daaaa! of the live version at the end), it would have been one of the strongest songs on the album.

Personally, outside of a few clunky lyrics, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I adore Edge's noodling during the verses, and the ending is superb.

But yeah, it does contain a few clunky lines. Wish they could have fixed those.

BTW, I'm writing up a lengthy review for this record due to the occasion, and I'll be posting it in the next survivor thread, most likely.

LemonMelon said:

Personally, outside of a few clunky lyrics, I don't think there's anything wrong with it. I adore Edge's noodling during the verses, and the ending is superb.

But yeah, it does contain a few clunky lines. Wish they could have fixed those.

BTW, I'm writing up a lengthy review for this record due to the occasion, and I'll be posting it in the next survivor thread, most likely.

Good times. I agree with the fact that the song is great, though. But it could've just been a little greater with less verse. And who doesn't like the live outro? I mean, come onnnnn....

LemonMelon said:
When the night takes a deep breath
And the daylight has no end
If I crawl, if I come crawling home
WiIl you be there

In a little while
I will blow by every breeze
Friday night running
To Sunday on my knees

:drool: :drool: :drool: A wonderful pair of verses there.

yup. I love this song. Not top 10, but maybe top 20 or 25.

IALW was the first song that stood out from the rest for me on my very first listen to the album. And I've only liked it more and more since. I love it.

Wild Honey :madspit: It's too stupid and cutesy.

I read a review of ATYCLB that said that Wild Honey is a "Rolling Stones-esque rocker." I wonder if the reviewer actually listened to the song.

I'm the ONLY IALW voter so far? Oh, come on people. :tsk:

:wink:

ATYCLB is easily my least favourite U2 album. It's absolutely dreadful. Not a single song on it would be in even my top fifty U2 songs (unless you have an edition with TGBHF, which is amazing). I like it less every time I play it too.

So my rankings:

(The Ground Beneath Her Feet)
1. When I Look At The World
Walk On
2. Kite
3. Grace
Beautiful Day
4. Wild Honey
5. New York
6. Peace On Earth
Elevation
7. In A Little While
Stuck In A Moment

4-6, plus Elevation, could really rotate amongst themselves. Anything beyond BD I don't care for and ordinarily skip.

Grace, by a long, long way.

Of what's here,

Kite >When I Look at the World > In a Little While >New York > Wild Honey > Peace on Earth > Grace.

LemonMelon said:

It's just a bunch of noodling. :( I don't even know what the melody is. Even if The First Time, Miss Sarajevo, etc are slow, they at least have something that sticks in your head. Grace is just...nothing.

I don't hate "Grace", but I do agree with Lemon here.

It's kind of a toss up for me between "Grace' and "When I Look At The World".

Then again, probably 8/10 times I much prefer to listen to "Peace On Earth" over "Kite". I've never understood all the fuss about "Kite". It really has always been achingly mediocre to me and fairly saccharine. :shrug: To each his/her own, I guess.

I'm going to go with "When I Look At The World". :down:

:ohmy: Grace is not going well.
But why isn`t that god awful Peace On Earth not getting more votes????
That easily the weakest track on the album!
So I voted POO...oh I meant...POE:wink:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

Hmmmm , my currently order of the songs left ,

01 - Kite or WILATW ( it will be tough to choose )
03 - In A Little While
04 - Grace ( no joke )
05 - New York ( I just wish that little live solo was included )
06 - Wild Honey
100000000000000 - Peace On Earth:madspit:

Cheers ,

Mauwer

I finally voted for Grace. The song is just "meh" to me...I also think it is was a poor album ender. I'll be voting for Wild Honey or New York next. I used to despise the 2nd half of the album, but I've come to appreciate WILATW and POE.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom