Rest of U2 Survivor: Achtung Baby - Round 5 - Page 8 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login
View Poll Results: Vote For Your Least Favorite Song
The Fly 4 4.71%
Ultraviolet 43 50.59%
Acrobat 7 8.24%
Love Is Blindness 31 36.47%
Voters: 85. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-04-2008, 03:54 AM   #106
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:29 AM
I'm gonna spend the last few rounds of this tosh wondering which track on Zooropa I should vote off first.

Cause I actually like SDABTO. I mean, the lyrics are awful, but the rest of the song is cool.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:04 AM   #107
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Axver
Wow, only 68 votes compared to 80+. Where is everyone?

Getting back the Live Survivor, I thought I would post a list of songs that I intend to exclude from the tournament for discussion. I imagine such choices will be contentious, and in the end I and whoever else helps out running the show will have to unilaterally make some decisions, but if we could reach some consensus that would be good.

So the songs cut, in chronological order of performance:

1. Pre-Boy songs known to have been played live but for which we have no recording. The two I'm thinking of here are Concentration Cramp and In Your Hand (which may just be Boy/Girl anyway).
2. Early covers: while it is likely that covers such as Glad To See You Go were done 13+ times, we don't have any confirmation of that. Known performances are essential.
3. All Along The Watchtower qualifying: It is no secret that the 1981 and 1987 one-offs will lose to the Lovetown version in any qualifying round, so let's save two days. In any case, although just one performance is good enough for an original U2 song, a cover has to be a bit more frequent - 13+ performances is the cutoff, and only the Lovetown version has been done 13+ times.
4. Where The Streets Have No Name: it is beyond obviously the winner. Including it makes the tournament pointless. It's like having a soccer goal shoot-out with 100 three year olds and Pele.
5. One: obvious winner in Streets' absence.
6. Peace On Earth: This has been an ongoing problem on U2VT, as a matter of fact. U2 never did a full band version of this song. It was normally just a snippeted intro to Walk On. However, on some occasions, Bono really dragged it out. My criteria for song inclusion is that the song has to have been performed independently of any other. I do not believe Peace On Earth was ever played independently. Thus it is out.
6.1 There is the "Wake Up Dead Man" objection. It was similarly not played in full. However, it has been done in more contexts and I do not believe its use in a setlist in its stripped down style is inherently dependent on the presence of any other particular song.
7. Any cover with less than 13 performances: I was going to make this 15 performances, as that's a round number and any cover reaching that many performances must have gained significance in at least one tour's context. However, I noticed that the recent and well known Saints Are Coming has only 13 performances, so I lowered the limit to include it - there are no other covers on 13 or 14 performances.
8. Gimmicky covers with 13+ performances: We really don't need the competition littered with these. Sure, Edge's karaoke or Larry singing Tequila Sunrise may have been a bit of a laugh, but it's not going to win anything and we needn't drag out the tournament any more. Raising the required play count to avoid this issue will also exclude most genuine covers, including very well known ones like Helter Skelter.

I think that's all. For the record, I am somewhat reconsidering excluding One. Streets is absolutely gone though. It is the winner by default. So I guess all this tournament is doing is finding second place.

On a different note, we need to add a song to the list: The Silver Lining, to Pre-Boy. I know it's an early 11 O'clock Tick Tock, but they're different songs - and we're doing Trevor and Touch anyway.
Sounds complicated.

Old 02-04-2008, 04:31 AM   #108
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 10:59 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by The Sad Punk
I'm gonna spend the last few rounds of this tosh wondering which track on Zooropa I should vote off first.

Cause I actually like SDABTO. I mean, the lyrics are awful, but the rest of the song is cool.
SDABTO doesn't deserve its poor reputation. OK, so I'll probably rate most of Zooropa above it, but I enjoy it. I think I'd rate it above Babyface, Daddy's Gonna Pay, and although it's not in the tournament, The First Time.

Quote:
Originally posted by the tourist
Sounds complicated.
Don't worry - the prep for a new tournament always looks complicated, especially because I'm very thorough, but in the end it usually works very simply.

I would like to know if anybody disagrees with any of those exclusions. Especially One. I'm in two minds about that.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-04-2008, 05:46 AM   #109
Refugee

Local Time: 09:59 AM
wouldn't a better way to work out the exclusions be a pre-poll? maybe brainstorm the 10 most popular live songs and the top 2 aren't in the actual survey? i know Streets would still win but i have doubts One will.
Old 02-04-2008, 07:16 AM   #110
Vocal parasite

Yeah, the more I think about it, the more I doubt One is the clear winner in Streets' absence. I was just thinking of when we did Song Survivor - everything but the final result was an interesting contest. Now that I've considered it further, I remember there are many people, including big fans of One, who feel it was never as good live as in the studio, and Bad is actually probably likely to beat it.

So, scratch One from the eliminations list. It will be there. Streets, however, is undeniably out. It is the winner by default. We're really finding the #2. (I personally think U2 have a considerable number of better live songs, but that seems to fly in the face of 21 years of concertgoer adulation of Streets.)

"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-04-2008, 08:18 AM   #111
War Child

Local Time: 12:59 AM
I agree with you Axver, Streets needs to be out, but I am not sure One would actually make it to the last rounds.

I believe you devised a strong plan and we should go ahead with it
Old 02-04-2008, 08:38 AM   #112
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

It was a snippet after One, not an independent song.

If I bake you a muffin, will you vote for what I tell you to in the next round?
Will it have too much butter? I happen to like muffins with a lot of butter...

And, (probably) unlike An Cat Gav, I can actually collect it!
Old 02-04-2008, 08:41 AM   #113
Vocal parasite

I just baked chocolate muffins tonight. I think they're the best I've ever made. Not sure that's saying much, as I've only been baking muffins for a few months. I didn't skimp on the butter and I definitely didn't skimp on the chocolate.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-04-2008, 08:43 AM   #114
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Damn, now I'm hungry.

Going back on topic, the voting for Zooropa should be interesting. Is the Wanderer in contention?
Old 02-04-2008, 08:50 AM   #115
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Going back on topic, the voting for Zooropa should be interesting. Is the Wanderer in contention?
You better believe it. The draw for Zooropa is:

Zooropa
Babyface
Lemon
Daddy's Gonna Pay
Some Days Are Better Than Others
Dirty Day
The Wanderer

Personally, I want the title track to win.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-04-2008, 09:07 AM   #116
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Well, I'll bet that Zooropa, SDABTO and Wanderer make it to the last three. From there... it's anyone's game, really.

If I'm right, do I get a muffin?
Old 02-04-2008, 09:55 AM   #117
Vocal parasite

Quote:
Originally posted by major_panic
Well, I'll bet that Zooropa, SDABTO and Wanderer make it to the last three. From there... it's anyone's game, really.

If I'm right, do I get a muffin?
Sure, because I know that prediction will be wrong and I'll get to keep the muffin.

This forum seems to have a strong dislike of SDABTO; Babyface will go first, but I don't see SDABTO making it past the second round. I predict the final three will be Zooropa, Lemon, and Dirty Day. Dirty Day will then go; it has its fans, but the studio version is a mess compared to the live version. Zooropa vs Lemon could be brutal though. I wish we'd introduced seeding.

Gig pictures | Blog
Old 02-04-2008, 01:11 PM   #118
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Local Time: 07:59 PM
Quote:
5. One: obvious winner in Streets' absence.

I don't think so...

not when you have Vertigo, WOWY, COBL, UTEOTW, Bad and even MOFO there...
Old 02-04-2008, 01:34 PM   #119
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 06:59 PM
Quote:
Personally, I want the title track to win.
Old 02-04-2008, 01:39 PM   #120
The Male

Local Time: 03:59 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by pepokiss

I don't think so...

not when you have Vertigo
This forum has an irrational hatred of anything HTDAAB-related.

Zooropa vs. Lemon will be the greatest final ever.

Now.