Rest of U2 Survivor: Achtung Baby - Round 5

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• The Fly

Votes: 4 4.7%
  • Ultraviolet

Votes: 43 50.6%
  • Acrobat

Votes: 7 8.2%
  • Love Is Blindness

Votes: 31 36.5%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Homer: And I gave that man directions, even though I didn't know the way, because that's the kind of man I am.

As long as we're talking roughly the first ten series, yes.

The most recent episodes don't seem totally shit either, but around series 16, it was just rubbish.

Love is Blindness, again.

You know a show did ok for itself when people say that season 16 is when it started getting bad. May we all do something that well for that long.

Homer: Hello, my name is Mr Burns. I believe you have a letter for me.
Post office worker: OK Mr Burns, what's your first name?
Homer: ... I don't know.

Varitek said:
Love is Blindness, and slightly better than ultraviolet, and i'm drunk. yeah saturday night!

Ah, drunk. Wonderful wonderful stupor. I'm not there yet but I'm on my way. Chambord is my new best friend.

Ultraviooooleeet

You know a show did ok for itself when people say that season 16 is when it started getting bad. May we all do something that well for that long.

I think it started getting bad way before season 16. I thought most people did.

This couldn't be harder. 4 of U2's best songs. Let's do Ultra Violet.

The Sad Punk said:
I think it started getting bad way before season 16. I thought most people did.

Yeah, I was using season 16 as an example of an especially bad season. I enjoy up to about season 11 or 12. By season 12 there were a lot more stupid gimmicks and pointless, tacky jokes, but largely the episodes were entertaining - not classics at all, but I enjoy watching the vast majority. But series 13 is where things seriously turned sour.

Especially guest stars who are momentary fads and will be forgotten before the episode is even aired! Maybe partyboy Corey of Narre Warren! :hyper:

Ultraviolet again!

We need to do a survivor of live performances after this though, because I will have to recover from the shock of seeing LIB getting out next round.

edurban said:
We need to do a survivor of live performances after this though, because I will have to recover from the shock of seeing LIB getting out next round.

I've thought about a live Survivor before, but I'm really not so sure how well it would work. I fear it would devolve into too much "MP3 PLZ" kind of posts.

I suppose if we limited it to only songs on the official videos/DVDs, that might alleviate some of it - but then that excludes some of U2's best live songs. I'd like to find a way to make it work though.

Actually, the more I think about a live Survivor, the more I think it might work. How would you folk feel about some rules like this?

1. To qualify, a song has to A). be a U2 original that was played live as an independent track, i.e. not a snippet, and B). a recording has to be available online.
2. Where The Streets Have No Name is disqualified as it would be the unquestionable champion and its inclusion would render the tournament pointless. (Perhaps One too? I say that out of no malice towards the song - I even like the 1997-09-23 perhaps. I rather suspect it is the obvious winner in Streets' absence, but with those two gone, I think it's wide open.)
3. No requests for uploads in the tournament threads. All requests will be ignored. There will instead be a link to Music On The Internet.
4. Opinions on studio versions are relevant only insofar as how the live song improves (or doesn't improve) on the album track.
5. In the case of songs with multiple distinct live versions or with lengthy live careers with varying quality, voters can choose to vote based on a favourite era/version, an opinion of the song's overall live career, or a combination (e.g. "overall, I think A Sort Of Homecoming was the better live song, but I'm voting it off because I think the 1987-11-08 performance of Bad is just so superior and transcendent"). It is up to the individual voter.

Thoughts?

I'd have trouble with that because in some cases the songs change so much from tour to tour. It would be incredibly involved and probably impossible to do, but I was for a short time considering going album to album with each tour's version of each song.

It's just too much, though.

Although, I think what you're saying would work now that I think about it more.

Back
Top Bottom