Rest of U2 Survivor: Achtung Baby - Round 3

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vote For Your Least Favorite Song

• Zoo Station

Votes: 13 15.7%
  • Who's Gonna Ride...

Votes: 37 44.6%
  • The Fly

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Ultraviolet

Votes: 22 26.5%
  • Acrobat

Votes: 3 3.6%
  • Love Is Blindness

Votes: 8 9.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
So Cruel was better than WGRYWH. It took this competition for me to finally see that clearly in my head now.

Easy vote for Ride here for me.

I'm gonna have to go with Zoo Station. I find myself skipping it fairly often when it pops up on iTunes. I usually listen to Horses and Ultraviolet, though.

phillyfan26 said:
This album is so frustrating. I can only think "What could have been?"

Me too, both in terms of production and song selection. My custom tracklisting of Achtung, as despised as it may be by many here, would be a top four and possibly top three U2 album for me if it had actually been done.

But instead, Achtung wallows down in 10th place.

Axver said:

Me too, both in terms of production and song selection. My custom tracklisting of Achtung, as despised as it may be by many here, would be a top four and possibly top three U2 album for me if it had actually been done.

But instead, Achtung wallows down in 10th place.

show me the custom tracklisiting man !
:madwife:

If I was in U2, and I could chose which songs were on Achtung Baby, and what order they appeared in, this is what I would've done:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Even Better Than The Real Thing
Mysterious Ways
Lady With The Spinning Head (the extended version)
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (the temple bar version)
One (done just as it was on ZooTV down to the last detail)
She's Gonna Blow Your House Down (if only....)
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness (done just as it was on ZooTV down to the last detail)

And I would've saved Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World and So Cruel for Zooropa.

The Sad Punk said:
That's a double edged sword... you're making Achtung Baby better, but Zooropa worse.

Hahaha. But they fit much better with the Zooropa material. They'd keep it flowing right along. :wink:

the tourist said:
If I was in U2, and I could chose which songs were on Achtung Baby, and what order they appeared in, this is what I would've done:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (the temple bar version)
One (done just as it was on ZooTV down to the last detail)
She's Gonna Blow Your House Down (if only....)
Ultraviolet
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness (done just as it was on ZooTV down to the last detail)

And I would've saved Trying To Throw Your Arms Around The World and So Cruel for Zooropa.

Oh, and I'd take out about 50% of all reverb on the album (including, but not limited to, Bono's vocals), take all guitar effects out of the album (besides distortion, delay, and wah-wah), and tell Larry to channel himself from the Boy-October-War era... but make it danceable still!

mysterious_jen said:
show me the custom tracklisiting man !
:madwife:

Here it is:

1. Zoo Station
2. Until The End Of The World
3. The Fly
4. Even Better Than The Real Thing
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Lady With The Spinning Head
7. Where Did It All Go Wrong?
8. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
9. Slow Dancing
10. Wild Irish Rose
11. Alex Descends Into Hell For A Bottle Of Milk/Korova 1
12. Acrobat
13. Love Is Blindness

I envisage Slow Dancing as a full band version, something like the 31 October 2001 performance, and Lady With The Spinning Head as being like the extended version but with a different guitar solo that isn't a Fly ripoff.

Axver said:
1. Zoo Station
2. Until The End Of The World
3. The Fly
4. Even Better Than The Real Thing
5. Mysterious Ways
6. Lady With The Spinning Head

the tourist said:

Zoo Station
The Fly
Mysterious Ways

Our first halves are very similar.

Eazy-V said:
there's a disappointing lack of TTTYAATW axver.

That's because I think it's no better than b-side quality.

My singles for my version of Achtung are:

1. The Fly/Night And Day/Night And Day (Steel String Remix)/The Lounge Fly Mix
2. Mysterious Ways/Salome/Lady With The Spinning Head (Extended Dance Remix)
3. Wild Irish Rose/One/So Cruel
4. Until The End Of The World/I Feel Free/Take You Down
5. Even Better Than The Real Thing/Tryin' To Throw Your Arms Around The World/Ultra Violet

the tourist said:
Our first halves are very similar.

And is anybody surprised? :wink:

I like the placement of UTEOTW in both of our lists - it works in either spot. I feel, however, that to cater for the rest of my list, it's essential that UTEOTW remain before The Fly (which, I might add, is a pairing that sounds rockin' and fantastic), as there really is no other viable spot for Where Did It All Go Wrong. If UTEOTW took that position, I'd have to cut WDIAGW or force it into somewhere it doesn't really fit, which I wouldn't want to do.

So I got me some horses, to ride on, to riiiide on, as long as your army keeps peeeeerfectly stiiill

...again, wrong 'horses' song, but still, WGRYWH needs to go.

And for the record, I'd like the song a lot more if my mom weren't all obsessed with it and constantly like "Let's listen to it again! Bono is so hawt in that video :drool:"

The Sad Punk said:
God, there's so much 'baby' and 'alright' in Achtung. Surely those two words must take up a double figure percentage of all lyrics on the album.
66 'baby's (51 are in Ultra Violet alone), and 38 'alright's (only one of which is in neither Zoo Station nor Mysterious Ways). And bonus: 7 'child's.

But while we're on the subject... 'sing' appears 31 times on War, and 'song' 19 times. Also, 'boy/boys' appears 28 times on Boy.

In comparison, there's only 8 'soul's and 7 'kneel/knees' (and Bono missed a golden opportunity in A Man and a Woman, there's a 'heel' that's not even rhyming with 'kneel'!)

....clearly I have too much time on my hands, although this didn't take long, it was just a matter of skimming the lyrics.

Does anybody know how many times 'love' appears in Hawkmoon 269? I seem to remember hearing it mentioned once as being over 100, but U2 Wanderer doesn't have all the repetitions of the outtro listed, and I'm not gonna count them the hard way :tongue:

BonoIsMyMuse said:
the "hey hey sha la la" part of WGRYWH is the only part of the entire album that annoys me. I'm actually really surprised So Cruel got voted off so early, because I think it's a much better song than even some of the singles. Thematically, it's central to the album for me.

100% correct.
who's gonna ride has to go.

66 'baby's (51 are in Ultra Violet alone), and 38 'alright's (only one of which is in neither Zoo Station nor Mysterious Ways). And bonus: 7 'child's.

But while we're on the subject... 'sing' appears 31 times on War, and 'song' 19 times. Also, 'boy/boys' appears 28 times on Boy.

In comparison, there's only 8 'soul's and 7 'kneel/knees' (and Bono missed a golden opportunity in A Man and a Woman, there's a 'heel' that's not even rhyming with 'kneel'!)

....clearly I have too much time on my hands, although this didn't take long, it was just a matter of skimming the lyrics.

Does anybody know how many times 'love' appears in Hawkmoon 269? I seem to remember hearing it mentioned once as being over 100, but U2 Wanderer doesn't have all the repetitions of the outtro listed, and I'm not gonna count them the hard way :tongue:

How many "don't"s are there in Numb?

Back
Top Bottom