Required songs in the setlist

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Niceman

Rock n' Roll Doggie VIP PASS
Not necessarily my favorite U2 songs ever, but the songs that U2 will have to keep in the new setlist and probably every tour's setlist even if they're still touring 30 years from now;

Until the End of the World
Bad
Bullet the Blue Sky
Where the Streets Have no Name
One
With or Without You

Possibly you might also count:
I Will Follow
Gone
Pride
I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For

I wish I could include the Fly too, the song deserves it, but U2 forget sometimes how good a song it is!

Are there any that I'm missing? Did I list any that I shouldn't have?

stay should be there, too!

I think your list is quite good... I just hope that the shows will be longer than they used to be!

I'd have to disagree with most of that list.

Until The End Of The World: I can't see this one staying forever. I imagine U2 would retire it from at least one tour.
Bad: This has already been cut. It wasn't played at every ZooTV gigs and barely appeared at all on Popmart.
Bullet The Blue Sky, Where The Streets Have No Name, One: All have been played at most or essentially all of their shows. The band themselves have said Streets will always be played and it's doubtful that they would cut One. Bullet would probably be cut at some point though. I can see LAPOE replacing it on this tour.
With or Without You: This is another song that has been cut. Indeed, its current status is a retired song. After three shows on the third leg of Elevation, it was taken out of the setlist and has not been performed since.

Really, the only certainty is Streets. One is probably just as certain. Everything else is less than definite.

Last edited:
I think it's amazing that they played shows without With or Without You. That would be so disapointing!

I don't think Until... is going anywhere because they seem to enjoy playing it so much, but I don't have much more to say to back it up beyond that.

Bad did rotate out, but it is back and I have a feeling it will stay. A lot of people were upset when it left.

Bullet - Well, I think this one is similar to Until, they seem to really enjoy playing it and haven't gone without it since they came up with it. I don't think Love and Peace really does take it's place, I think they do very different jobs. We'll see.

One - I could actually do without hearing it, but I'm in the minority. Most fans would be very disapointed. It's one of the songs people expect to get to hear.

But really U2 can do anything they want! If With Or Without You can be skipped then maybe NOTHING is sacred after alll!

I'd like Stay to be there, but I wouldn't be shocked if it wasn't played on any given night.

I also think Running to Stand still SHOULD be there, but U2 apparently doesn't agree...

Pride will be a left over.... Bono said that he can't stand this song anymore and that he got a girl's voice on the album's version....

I still haven't...... will be a left over too.... maybe played 1-2 in 2005, but it has lost its reason to appear in the setlist.

I hope With or witout you won't be played as well. If you listen to it in 1987-89 or during ZOO TV and now.... you will see why it should be removed from the setlist. However, if U2 gets back to playing it with the passion they had in 87, the song has its spot in the setlist.

Running to stand still should be played again..... it has missed the 2 last tours with 1 exception, Zurich 2001 where the sang it surprisingly..... it is a great song live.

Streets, no doubts it will stay in the setlist

Bad will probably stay, but with a rotation like in 2001.

Bullet.... hummm....this one is hard to tell. It's one of my favourite live song ever and they actually kept it perfect without slowing it down (except POP tour), but I have doubts about it making the setlist.....might be replaced....

Until the end of the world is also hard to tell, but I believe it will make it. In fact, U2 love it too much to be left over.

Until the End of the World: My favourite song ever so that will have to stay!
Bad: I'm not so sure. A lot of shows don't feature it. The Slane show doesn't even feature it, so... I hope they'll change it. I never loved it that much.
Bullet the Blue Sky: There's a classic. I think that'll remain pretty much forever. It's an angry song, and there's gotta be one of these songs. Even if Love And Peace Or Else is in the setlist, I can't see them leaving this behind.
Where the Streets Have No Name: I know, everyone loves it, but I don't, and I never will. It's OK, but I'm so tired of it. Change it to Discotheque.
One: They'll have to keep this one.
With or Without You: Another song I'd like to see gone. It's a great song, but the studio version is better, and I'd rather see something more surprising.

I think you forgot:
Beautiful Day. It's the most popular U2 song of this generation, young people identify U2 with this song nowadays. It's an instant classic. It'll never leave the setlists.
New Year's Day. Obvious, innit?
Sunday Bloody Sunday. It wasn't much around ZooTV (was it there at all?), but it didn't fit. U2's current image (which is pretty similar to the look they had 4-5 years ago), which I don't think they'll ever change again (no more experimentation, we all agree?) allows this song, well, demands it. And if they did an "All-time greatest tour" they couldn't leave this out. Seeing they've played I Will Follow this much lately, I can't see them leaving this one behind.

Songs I'd like to see as regurlars: Running To Stand Still, Please, Elevation, Mysterious Ways and I'd love Mofo to be in there. It won't, however. :(

Required songs in the setlist: NONE!

Every song is replaceable. There have been setlists where With Or Without You have been missed (a Lovetown gig, a gig or two in Elevation). Streets has missed the indoor promo tours (Astoria, Irving, Manray) and even outdoor (Brooklyn Bridge).

Ok, so my example for Streets doesn't really count as from a tour but nevertheless it is a setlist and U2 bailed out on them. Also, if U2 wants to have a more active and varied setlist this tour, they would have to drop songs and none would be required.

Cheers,

J

Required song: City of blinding lights.
I must see what Bono intends when he says "I'm getting ready to leave the ground"...

Axver said:
I'd have to disagree with most of that list.

Until The End Of The World: I can't see this one staying forever. I imagine U2 would retire it from at least one tour.
Bad: This has already been cut. It wasn't played at every ZooTV gigs and barely appeared at all on Popmart.
Bullet The Blue Sky, Where The Streets Have No Name, One: All have been played at most or essentially all of their shows. The band themselves have said Streets will always be played and it's doubtful that they would cut One. Bullet would probably be cut at some point though. I can see LAPOE replacing it on this tour.
With or Without You: This is another song that has been cut. Indeed, its current status is a retired song. After three shows on the third leg of Elevation, it was taken out of the setlist and has not been performed since.

Really, the only certainty is Streets. One is probably just as certain. Everything else is less than definite.

Exactly! You pretty much summed up everything I would have said. I would also add that With Or Without You was also dropped from some of the Zooropa shows and not just Lovetown and Elevation.

Last edited:
I think Streets is a definite standard by now. They've played it at practically every TOUR show since they wrote it, lol. Jick had a few examples when it was left out, but they were just shorter promo gigs. If they don't play Streets at my first ever U2 concert in March or whenever it is, I will be EXTREMELY dissappointed. But, we'll have to wait and see.

I will List 20 Classics :|

1-I Will Follow
2-Streets
3-With Or Without You
4-I Still Haven't Fond What Im looking For
5-All I Want Is You
6-One
7-Sunday Bloody Sunday
8-Gloria
9-Pride in The Name in Of Love
10-New Years Day
11-Bad
12-The Fly
13-Stuck In A Moment
14-Walk On
15-Stay[faraway .So Close

This questions is much too hard for me to ponder....some songs I can't live without, others I've seen 12 or more times live, and heard hundreds of times live...but I just can't pick and choose. That, my dears, is too hard.

U2-rock-rock said:
I will List 20 Classics :|

1-I Will Follow
2-Streets
3-With Or Without You
4-I Still Haven't Fond What Im looking For
5-All I Want Is You
6-One
7-Sunday Bloody Sunday
8-Gloria
9-Pride in The Name in Of Love
10-New Years Day
11-Bad
12-The Fly
13-Stuck In A Moment
14-Walk On
15-Stay[faraway .So Close

and out of those, only Streets and One NEED to be played.
imo.

The Fly , Gone
One , Acrobat ,
Hold Me , Thrill Me , Kiss Me , Kill Me
I Will Follow
Vertigo , Yahwee ,
Out Of Control
11 O'clock tick tock
Walk On
Please

Judging by the SNL and Jonathan Ross performances, I expect IWF will feature heavily on the tour.

I for one wouldn't mind seeing NYD dropped. Great song but after featuring on every major tour since WAR, I've really grown a bit tired of it.

As far as the tour goes, I agree that the only song that will probably always be performed is Streets.

I wouldn't mind if Pride, Desire, or Bullet took a break.

Niceman said:
But I still say, if I went to a U2 show and they didn't play With or Without You, it would break my little Niceman heart!

You may have your heart broken then because I dont think its a definate song. I think it will be played though, I just dont think it will be a definate staple throughout the tour. I think I'm one of the few diehards as well that still enjoys the song live. Some seem to dislike it now. But I can live without it also.

The only songs that I would like to see retired are Pride, Bullet, NY Day and Until The End Of The World. I do not need to see the bullfight deal on UTEOTW for the 3rd consecutive tour. It was cool on Popmart, acceptable on Elevation (for the fans that missed Popmart) but a 3rd go round could reach lame status. I attended one of the few shows on Elevation where UTEOTW was not played 5-13-01 Chicago and I did not miss it one bit.

Blue Room said:

You may have your heart broken then because I dont think its a definate song. I think it will be played though, I just dont think it will be a definate staple throughout the tour. I think I'm one of the few diehards as well that still enjoys the song live.

i am with you, i still enjoy with or without you.

i think the ones that make the statement that when you compare it to 1987 and now- are overanalyzing bootlegs and bono's voice, etc. and not on actual attendance of a show where they were diappointed. i have seen them play wowoy 14 times, including 6 on the elevation tour and have never been disappointed by the song live. i missed it when they did not play it late in the elevation tour. i hope they play it alot, be won't be suprised it it is played sparingly.

for me the ending guitar solo and build up of miracle drug will take the place of wowoy live.

Streets is staying. One is staying.

Bullet, Pride are the two most likely, IMO, to get the axe. SBS is right up there with them.

I would argue that Elevation is a must. It is as great of a live song as anything this side of Streets. It was a great hit last tour, why not bring it back for Rd. 2? Also, I must say Discoteque would be an awesome surprise. Give us something that will make us shake our booty. As for I Will Follow, I'd be glad if they replaced it with Out of Control and played Gloria (YEAH!) a few times. It's a good song, but I've heard it too much.

I'm pretty sick of Sunday Bloody Sunday, One and Pride live at this point. For the most part I am interrested in either hearing songs that are new or weren't usually played live before. That said; I still haven't had enough of Until..., Bullet, or Withor Without You!

Back
Top Bottom