Replace WOWY with...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

redhotswami

Blue Crack Addict
Okay so it seems as though I am the only person in this thread (http://forum.interference.com/t165870.html) that was a big fan of WOWY.

I thought it has become a signature moment in their shows. Get intimate with the audience, bring someone on stage, everyone has a good time. I hadn't been to a show where before where a band did something like that.

So...what song could replace WOWY for that LuckyFan(s)OnStage moment?

redhotswami said:
So...what song could replace WOWY for that LuckyFan(s)OnStage moment?

Get rid of that moment. It's become too stereotypical.

I would have no problem with WOWY if it still sounded as good as it did 1987-1992. It absolutely soared then and was a high point of the show. But now, it's a weak and disinteresting plod that wastes 4-5 minutes. Just about anything would be better. In the most recent sets, where the encore was Zoo Station --> The Fly --> Mysterious Ways --> WOWY, I think an adequate replacement would have been Love Is Blindness, Even Better Than The Real Thing (with its order swapped with Mysterious Ways), or Fast Cars.

Ya because we HAVE to have a girl onstage...the fact that they stopped playing "People Get Ready" so a guy could come onstage & play guitar doesn't seem to bother anybody.

Yep. I'd rather Bono stopped pulling girls onstage. I've heard too many stories of it creating ugly situations, or girls acting like complete boneheads trying to get onstage.

Plus, maybe it would eventually eliminate half of the annoying signs around the lip of the stage.

"BONO DANCE WITH ME BECUZ BLAH BLAH BLAH SPECIALPANTS BLAH BLAH"

And I agree with the above poster. After hearing so many bootlegs, I'm really, really over hearing U2 do "People Get Ready" or "Knockin On Heaven's Door" with a fan.

Great moment for a fan (and not all about getting to press one's self up against Bono), but jeez, play a U2 song!

Re: Re: Replace WOWY with...

Axver said:

Really? You mean like, in a bad way? See I liked that whole idea of bringing a fan onstage. Before U2 I hadn't been to a concert where somebody did that before. I might be disappointed if a fan wasn't brought onstage for one song during the entire show.

corianderstem said:
Yep. I'd rather Bono stopped pulling girls onstage. I've heard too many stories of it creating ugly situations, or girls acting like complete boneheads trying to get onstage.

Plus, maybe it would eventually eliminate half of the annoying signs around the lip of the stage.

"BONO DANCE WITH ME BECUZ BLAH BLAH BLAH SPECIALPANTS BLAH BLAH"

I have heard of the bizarre fanonstage moments too. Its not always girls that are brought onstage though.

To counter that, there have been some really great fanonstage moments as well. I think it is fun to interact with the audience like that. Once in DC he brought a little girl on stage and they were shouting "no more" together. It was precious.

Re: Re: Replace WOWY with...

Axver said:

:yes: Please! I hate being at a show, hearing the start of WOWY, and instead of thinking about the song, thinking, "Oh, boy. Some girl's gonna get pulled up on stage and start crying." :|

It's not new, it's not fresh. Maybe when they first started doing it, it helped to bring the crowd into the show---maybe then people would get excited for the lucky fan and feel part of the show themselves. Now, it's expected, and the only people who still get excited for the girl are girls who want to be up there themselves. :shrug: I'd rather see Bono swing a guitar around during the song again than swing yet another obligatory fan.

besides, a 50 year old pulling up a 17 year old for an intimate moment is a little creepy

:hmm: More like a 40 something year old pulling up 20 something year olds but who's counting. Besides it's not like he has sex on stage with them.

Last edited:
U2girl said:
:hmm: More like a 40 something year old pulling up 20 something year olds but who's counting. Besides it's not like he has sex on stage with them.

46 is closer to 50 than 40 :wink: .
Besides i think the whole idea of Bono bringing up anyone on stage a bit cheesy.

plus by the next tour he'll be very close to 50 :huh:

and youre right, he only sometimes simulates sex on stage

Whatever song they replaced it with people would complain about so dont worry about it. Every action U2 takes is visualized with the persons perspective that is visualizing it. Unfortunatly most of the people in this forum have lost all perspective and would only think it was a good thing if U2 took a time machine back to 1984 or 1994 or whenever they liked them when they were "the real U2".

The people here are only a minor fraction of the people that buy the tickets to these shows, so I think With Or Without you will be at least played at most shows in the future whether people here like it or not.

Re: Re: Re: Replace WOWY with...

Utoo said:

:yes: Please! I hate being at a show, hearing the start of WOWY, and instead of thinking about the song, thinking, "Oh, boy. Some girl's gonna get pulled up on stage and start crying." :|

It's not new, it's not fresh. Maybe when they first started doing it, it helped to bring the crowd into the show---maybe then people would get excited for the lucky fan and feel part of the show themselves. Now, it's expected, and the only people who still get excited for the girl are girls who want to be up there themselves. :shrug: I'd rather see Bono swing a guitar around during the song again than swing yet another obligatory fan.

I'm usually watching Adam during "With or Without You." I'm er, watching how he plays it, yeah. :shifty: I hear that bass line, and well, Bono cuddling with a girl onstage loses my interest.

The live version of "With or Without You" on the "Please" single is my favourite version. The extra slides Adam adds towards the end, niiiiicccceee.

Last edited:
I agree that the dancing girl routine needs to stop. It's the same every time and I think it almost takes some of the specialness away from the song. (Maybe I'm just jealous that I'm not the one onstage? :wink: )

But really, with girls changing into skimpy clothes in the GA line and putting on extra makeup just to catch Bono's eye, it has gone too far.

WOWY is my favorite song, and I'm always excited to hear it live, but I'd be okay with it being replaced by Velvet Dress or Love is Blindness.

Re: Re: Re: Replace WOWY with...

redhotswami said:
Really? You mean like, in a bad way? See I liked that whole idea of bringing a fan onstage. Before U2 I hadn't been to a concert where somebody did that before. I might be disappointed if a fan wasn't brought onstage for one song during the entire show.

I think it's kinda cool that U2 will bring fans on stage, but now it's become a competition - sometimes quite vicious - amongst fans to be the person Bono chooses. If Bono is going to pull people on stage, it at least needs to be less predictable and regular. I think that would make it more special than some girl (who is young enough to be Bono's daughter) getting to leap into his arms every time WOWY is played.

Yahweh said:
Whatever song they replaced it with people would complain about so dont worry about it. Every action U2 takes is visualized with the persons perspective that is visualizing it. Unfortunatly most of the people in this forum have lost all perspective and would only think it was a good thing if U2 took a time machine back to 1984 or 1994 or whenever they liked them when they were "the real U2".

The people here are only a minor fraction of the people that buy the tickets to these shows, so I think With Or Without you will be at least played at most shows in the future whether people here like it or not.

Your first paragraph is a completely unprovoked attack on the integrity of the opinions of people here. No-one in this thread has done as you allege.

And regarding your second paragraph, U2 have plenty of huge, well-known hits that fans buying tickets to U2 shows want to hear. WOWY is just one of them, and not necessarily the most popular. So why should it be privileged? U2 have dropped classics before. ISHFWILF and New Year's Day have missed whole tour legs, Sunday Bloody Sunday and Angel Of Harlem have missed a whole tour, The Unforgettable Fire and When Love Comes To Town haven't been played in more than a decade. There's nothing to suggest they won't do that to WOWY.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

What are you huhing? You cannot honestly tell me that performances of WOWY 1997-2006 can even remotely compare to the 1987-1992 performances (I'll leave the 1993 performances up for debate). The 1987-1992 performances featured booming, powerful, emotive vocals from Bono and Edge carried the song to a soaring conclusion. Nowadays, Bono sings the song in a less passionate, powerful manner and the song peters out with barely a wimper. It's dull. Just watch WOWY on Rattle And Hum and WOWY on Popmart back-to-back. At least this tour's performances were marginally better than Popmart's, and the performance at Elevation Slane was one of the rare few post-1992 performances to feature the glorious Shine Like Stars climax.

Re: Re: Re: Re: Replace WOWY with...

Axver said:

and the performance at Elevation Slane was one of the rare few post-1992 performances to feature the glorious Shine Like Stars climax.

Anyone else think this sounds dirty??
:wink:

~A.j.~

Re: Re: Re: Re: Replace WOWY with...

Axver said:

What are you huhing? You cannot honestly tell me that performances of WOWY 1997-2006 can even remotely compare to the 1987-1992 performances (I'll leave the 1993 performances up for debate). The 1987-1992 performances featured booming, powerful, emotive vocals from Bono and Edge carried the song to a soaring conclusion. Nowadays, Bono sings the song in a less passionate, powerful manner and the song peters out with barely a wimper. It's dull. Just watch WOWY on Rattle And Hum and WOWY on Popmart back-to-back. At least this tour's performances were marginally better than Popmart's, and the performance at Elevation Slane was one of the rare few post-1992 performances to feature the glorious Shine Like Stars climax.

Maybe the song lacks power because B's too busy with the girls?

Chizip said:
besides, a 50 year old pulling up a 17 year old for an intimate moment is a little creepy
Instead of pulling up a girl.... To mix things up Bono should still pull up the girl, but then the stage crew should release two fast-moving animals onto the catwalk and have them chase the girl.

That would be the best song ever. And the band should play U2's horrible cover of C'Mon Everybody.

Canadiens1160 said:
Instead of pulling up a girl.... To mix things up Bono should still pull up the girl, but then the stage crew should release two fast-moving animals onto the catwalk and have them chase the girl.

That would be the best song ever. And the band should play U2's horrible cover of C'Mon Everybody.

:lol:

I think that no matter what, Bono will always continue having some type of on stage interaction with the fans.
It started as far back as Live Aid, even before WOWY existed. There are pics of Bono dancing with girls during the early days of band, way before the JT era. There's video of him having a girl play his guitar when he had broken his arm. It was spontaneous and unpredictable. I think it's something he "wants" to do.
I think it would still be cool if he did something with a fan (male/female young or old) but it wasn't always the same song.

Last edited:
mads said:

WOWY is my favorite song, and I'm always excited to hear it live, but I'd be okay with it being replaced by Velvet Dress or Love is Blindness.

I totally agree--i love WOWY, its been a very special song for me,
and some of the "fan on stage" moments ruin it a bit.
Would be nice to see it without the dancing once in a while.

and bring back Love is blindness:drool:

thankyou said:
I think that no matter what, Bono will always continue having some type of on stage interaction with the fans.
It started as far back as Live Aid, even before WOWY existed. There are pics of Bono dancing with girls during the early days of band, way before the JT era. There's video of him having a girl play his guitar when he had broken his arm. It was spontaneous and unpredictable. I think it's something he "wants" to do.
I think it would still be cool if he did something with a fan (male/female young or old) but it wasn't always the same song.

It started even earlier, on the Red Rocks video Bono brings a girl on stage during 11 o'clock tick tock. Next time, how about to bring a guy or girl to play drums (like some guy was let to play them on I Will Follow during NY stunt two years ago) to refresh things up? :p

Back
Top Bottom