renewed Christianity

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jphelmet

Refugee
Curious how many have noticed what seems to be a very renewed spiritual side to U2 since the release of ATYCLB. Not to say that it ever went a way or was absent in their music, but I mean more so in Bono's most pointed quotes about God. It was obvious in their concerts ending every night singing "Unto the Almighty" and "Hallelujah",Quoting Psalms 116 & 51:15 at the beginning of streets, Bono's speech about Jesus and inclusion of 40 the last night in Miami, but also in recent articles and interviews. Like I said, no that it was absent before, it just seems to be much more in the forefront than in recent years (popmart and zootv).

jp

last night miami, bono gave a little speech right before please. i'm paraphrasing but he started with "the thing I love about jesus" and he went on to talk aobut how God is Love, and that we put good God in a box, try to make him fit our needs, and His love is so vast, its unkowable. 40 wasn't played in full, but Bono sang a verse within Walk On. It seemed to be a spontaneous addition to Walk On, and if you listen to the show, he seem to be yelling it (in a joyous way).

jp

hmmmm....*scratches chin thoughtfully*

You know, I definitely think that ATYCLB is a spiritual album, but I wouldn't say that it's any moreso than anything they've done in the last few years. I think it's just...different.

------------------
"We're one, but we're not the same..."

http://U2Baby.com

Originally posted by jphelmet:
Curious how many have noticed what seems to be a very renewed spiritual side to U2 since the release of ATYCLB.

In my opinion, this renewal is so blatant that anyone who does not notice this must be making a concerted effort to deny or ignore it.

- andy

Originally posted by drummerboy:
In my opinion, this renewal is so blatant that anyone who does not notice this must be making a concerted effort to deny or ignore it.

- andy

Agreed. Especially in Achtung Baby and Pop, U2 would make fleeting, clever references to religion. But in ATYCLB, they're much more up front and earnest about it.

Originally posted by drummerboy:

It was as clear to me as a (good <g> ) slap in the face. I listened to ATYCLB the first time thinking "Man, something has *happened*!"

But what i'm actually posting about is that sicy has the miami concert on her ftp, and i ran to download it, and here is the transcrption of what Bono says at the beginning of "Please."

"What I always loved about Jesus -
what I LOVE about Jesus -
is love.
GOD IS LOVE.
The love of God is unknowable, ineffable,
but one thing we know
is God is NOT HATE.
This is a song about people who re-create God in their own image-
tiny,
pathetic,
you know the kind of people I'm talking about.
Osama bin Laden might be one of those kind of people.
But you know, I'm kind of one of those kind of people too.
Honestly.
Shrinking God, all the time.
So this is a song written about some religious nuts and political fanatics that we grew up around in Ireland and now you're living with in the United States - the fear of."

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom