Remember when U2 was untouchable?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoocoustic

War Child
Does anyone remember back in the JT and AB era when U2 was just so incredibly huge that they were virtually untouchable?

I remember those days when U2 never even went on shows like SNL or Letterman, and I'd just sit there and think "man, these guys are on a completely different level".

And despite this they still maintained their "larger than life" status - I suppose the fact that they did NOT show up on every ad, talk show, etc. helped create that whole mystique.

Anyway, just a thought...after the iPod stuff I just got to thinking how U2 almost appear to be everywhere over the past few albums and it just seems so much different than back during the 87-93 period.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not complaining about how much more accessible U2 seem to be today. In fact, it's great seeing them on so many programs...it's just interesting to see how much things have changed.

You mean we can feel 'em up now? Aaahhhh!!! Don't tell the PLEBA girls...there will be a stampede! :wink:

Well, as for U2 being all over the place...they are in their 40's you know... :rolleyes: ;)

They were far from untouchable it was just percieved as being that way....people even during the Achtung Baby period were saying U2 were over the hill. Yet its about 15 years later and they are still going. All the power too them.

Zoocoustic said:

I remember those days when U2 never even went on shows like SNL or Letterman, and I'd just sit there and think "man, these guys are on a completely different level".

I know I'm showing my age here, but the first time I saw them on TV was when they did the Tomorrow show w/Tom Snyder circa 1981-2. Bono and Edge sat down to talk to Tom and Bono basically said that alot of Euro bands looked down on the US audience and touring here and they said they loved it.

Let em have their bling, they earned it.

Yes, those were the days! But not anymore. I see there as being 2 reasons, neither of which is going to be popular here:

one, POP. Sorry POP Lovers, it made them a joke to many, and it cracked their untouchableness like Kryptonite on Superman.

two, their age. Now that they are older they can get called old and joked on. Not nice but it happens.

I think U2 appear to be "everywhere" because of the internet. I can watch UKI and USA tv shows over the internet that I am not able to watcvh on my tv. I can read articles from more magazines than I could afford to physically purchase. etc

Where I live, you wouldnt know U2 have a new album out. The marketing campaign is directed squarely on UKI and USA. Which it always has been cause thats the 2 biggest markets. But now I can "see" it too :hyper:

I also think they appear 'everywhere' to us because we're looking :reject: The average person might not pay any attention to it.

U2Kitten said:
I also think they appear 'everywhere' to us because we're looking :reject: The average person might not pay any attention to it.

lol. That too. In my city the average person seriously wouldnt know theres a new U2 album unless they were looking for it. Very little media exposure.

Thats because all the late 90's early "ots" (like 2003 is ot three )pop acts totally redefined marketing. Britney spears, christina, backstreet boys and nsync were on every possible radio station thanx to the explosion of clear channel and infinity song rotation was practicaly cut by 75%. Also, they appeared at every award show, talk show, TRL, OPRAh and mall opening possible. That at teh time hadn't been seen since like the 60's and u2 can't compete with bubblegum pop being played over and over on every radio station and on every music tv station. oh and music tv dissappeared too, this didn't help U2. The world was ready for REAL PoP and not what u2 had to offer under the name of pop at that point in history. Since then, its allllll marketing and hits are hits before they are even released, its awful.

Yeah, with the age of the internet and iTunes/iPod, it is hard to compare the two time periods on the basis of exposure.
But the principle of your statement is probably true. They do need a little more advertising to stay the biggest band.

I think younger fans don´t know U2 was untouchable even with Zooropa and Pop :yes: :laugh: :D :heart:. Despite now those albums are clearly their most underrated ever, at that time both were so acclaimed by all critics, press and media, and of course, by fans :bow:

ponkine said:
I think younger fans don´t know U2 was untouchable even with Zooropa and Pop :yes: :laugh: :D :heart:. Despite now those albums are clearly their most underrated ever, at that time both were so acclaimed by all critics, press and media, and of course, by fans :bow:

Uhhh, I don't remember that. Also, you can't say 'younger fans' because I know teenagers who hate Pop, and 30 somethings who like it.

It is also a good point that since the way things are sold has changed thanks to the stupid crap pop acts, they do have to 'sell' themselves a different way now. :sigh:

Although, music fans may not particularly like their music per se, I think a lot of fans of traditional music (ie play your own instruments etc) do find themselves sticking up for the likes of U2 because at least they are showing it's still possible to infliltrate the mainstream with traditional music values.

U2Kitten said:

Uhhh, I don't remember that. Also, you can't say 'younger fans' because I know teenagers who hate Pop, and 30 somethings who like it.

That´s exactly why I wrote that my friend, because I see most fans who hate Pop are teens:tsk: that´s why I wrote "younger fans don´t know with was untouchable even with Zooropa and Pop", because at that time ( unlike what seems to have been with those albums for newer U2 fans) both albums were excellent both for fans and critics
:laugh:

U2 hasnt ever been untouchable if you look at the best selling albums for every year since 1980 yes U2 have always been near the top but not at the top. They can say with 100 percent certainty pretty much that they will be able to sell 5 million records world wide with any release they make, everybody else has to be convinced....Apparently POP didnt do much convincing in America, but by no means is selling 7 million albums a failure most other acts would see that as greatness.

In my mind U2 are untouchable in the more important way and that is musically and thats what really matters in the end.

ponkine said:

That´s exactly why I wrote that my friend, because I see most fans who hate Pop are teens:tsk: that´s why I wrote "younger fans don´t know with was untouchable even with Zooropa and Pop", because at that time ( unlike what seems to have been with those albums for newer U2 fans) both albums were excellent both for fans and critics
:laugh:

That's funny, I thought it was the older fans from the 80's that didn't like their 90's albums.

If anything it's the younger fans that like Zooropa and Pop.

Well, where is that thread that said younger fans like Achtung, older like JT

Back
Top Bottom