Remember the Joshua Tree days when U2 guys looked so serious?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Are you sure about that?

Buddy? :wink:

I all seriousness, I really do hope you read the entire thing. It's really quite fascintating, but I don't want to discuss it unless you've actually read it completely.

U2 kitten, that picture of the band hitching a ride is from the outside it's america documentary :laugh:

it's so funny, a thread exactly like this one was how it came to be that i would copy that documentary for you, and now i've just put it with the morning mail.

i too, can never be sold the idea that U2 were ever a too-serious band. i've been a fan nearly twenty years, and in those years i've enjoyed watching their serious side, and their humorous side. i remember the dalton brothers. i was there.

and again, from the documentary...bono singing to his enchilada, larry warbling along with the country music on the jukebox, bono teasing a photogropher, edge shopping for cowboy boots. funny stuff. and this was back in 1987.

Ah, just got back from a good lunch...

Well, I don't have one single point but more of an overall impression. Let's start with Bono's view on sex back then:

BONO: I feel very close to Prince, closer than you might think.

MJ: Closer than I would think, in that he's considered sex-crazed, while the critics regularly describe U2 as nearly sexless.

BONO: I'm deeply insulted to hear you say that, and shocked, and mesmerized. I don't think they could have been to too many U2 shows. You'd have to ask our audience. This may be one of those clich?s from the critical community who generally themselves are completely sexless. You can't fuck people with your head, or maybe you can...

MJ: Now, come on. You honestly think that the kind of really erotic sounds that you hear in "Sexual Healing" or "Little Red Corvette", that there are U2 songs that have that kind of carnal energy?

BONO: No. Yes, I think there is a sexuality to U2. I don't think it's dressed up in leather, or high-heel boots, or that type of thing. I don't think it's the sort of peek-a-boo type sexuality. So, some people, who have to have a neon sign that says SEX before they see sex, may not see it in our music. But sex is a much subtler thing than that. Today you'll find the exact same girl in the Coca-Cola ads and the rock videos. That's not rebellious anymore. It sells products. And it is a product. That kind of overt or camped-up sexuality is no longer rebellious in the way that it was in the '50s and '60s, when people weren't owning up that they even had a sex life. People needed that shoved in their face and rock'n'roll was a great medium to do it. But that doesn't apply now...See, most things that a lot of people find sexy, I find incredibly funny! I don't find the things I see out on the Strip, say, latex trousers, turn me on. They just don't.

This is just one example of an element that many people thought devoid in U2's 80s work, when it was never really devoid at all. Even to this day, U2 are subtle about it. In the 90s, U2 simply changed the "packaging" and that can be said for many of the commonalities in U2 between the two decades. Like Bono said in the interview, they needed irony to get that point across eventually -- they needed to, perhaps not make "pop music with a wink" (I love that) like Prince, but to make the wink in terms of the show.

And as far as the general tone of the interview, Bono isn't all that serious. He's very funny throughout, and the the things he's serious about, are the same things he was always serious about in the 90s. Why do people have this notion that U2 suddenly stopped being a political band and championing various causes in the 90s? None of that changed. In fact, they only got more politically active in the 90s. All that changed was the packaging, not the intent (or the spirit).

Last edited:
thats your proof U2 wasn't less serious in the 90's than in the 80's?

:eeklaugh:

Once again, you completely missed the point ;) This isn't about black and whites, my friend...it's the beginning of a discussion that could lead to greater understanding...but if you don't want to discuss anything, that's fine, too.

I'd rather see them serious than like those scary spider dancing things in your signature chizip! :no:

If you look every era has serious and funny pics.

Maybe I was a victim of the media's perception of U2, but I have been a fan since "Boy" was released and I, too, always thought of them as a serious band until ZooTV. Maybe it's just that the only thing the media ever picked up and reported was Bono mouthing off about something, like the 'well the God I believe in isn't short of cash, Mister' bit. I didn't have the internet or access to much other info. I saw a hint of Bono's playfulness in the "Still Haven't Found" video, but I swear it wasn't until I saw ZooTV that I realized that Bono was funny. Really funny. The minute the show started at MSG and I saw his leg kick up against that backdrop, I burst out laughing. Of course I knew that a band just doesn't get a sense of humor overnight; I figured I was probably just seeing a side to them I'd never seen before. But look back at the Unforgettable Fire video documentary--those are some serious and intense mofos, or maybe just guarded.

Last edited:
It probably didn't help that about every magazine cover they did in the 80s had them appear really serious and rather glum-looking. In Anton Corbijn's 'Werk' compilation, the difference between the images of 90s Bono and 80s Bono is rather striking, too; for one thing there's not a single 80s photo where Bono (and the band) doesn't appear serious or thoughtful. I'm sure that there were other pics in that decade that showed the band as more playful and goofy, but it was the above-mentioned pics that defined the 80s U2, and that image had a lot to do with how the band chose to represent themselves, as much as they'd want to put it all down on media.

Last edited:
Saracene: yes, of course they used the media, but in both cases, it was through the media that the perception was created. They were obviously conscious of the perception, because in each case they created it...but it was in the media...that's all I was saying...a perception they created through the media, and not necessarily who they really were as individuals or even as a band.

Well, yes, except that, if you're aware of what sort of image you're creating via the media, then it's a bit naive to go and complain how the media doesn't manage to show all aspects of what you and your bandmates are really like.

Or perhaps I'm just being too harsh on a bunch of then-young guys, :)

Last edited:
U2Kitten said:

Really?! :scratch: That's not how I saw it at all, and that's not what happened. It was very different. Are you saying because of the 'funny' 90's personas they are more respected now? Uh, sorry, but I beg to differ on this too. Here's why- A lot of fans and press who had respected U2 in the 80's lost it in the 90's. A lot of people were put off by the way they acted and presented themselves. With some, it happened with AB and the devil suit. I never had a problem with AB and neither did anyone I knew, but I did notice a bit of bad press. That bad press, and fans speaking ill of them, kicked in with the Lemon video and Zooropa. But it was POP that really hurt them. Now I know a lot of people get upset by this so please don't be angry, but what you said about 'everything they did went fine' after 1991 was simply not true. POP was ridiculed by the press and fans alike. I knew, and still know previously diehard fans who mocked them and denied them. The dressing like village idiots and coming out of a lemon in circus like costumes did not gain them nearly as much respect as it lost them. As a friend from another board recently posted, "I could not bear to watch the mockery that had become of the band I once loved." They had made fools of themselves. Some of you say they were having fun, well, they always had fun. But that was too much. Maybe it's because U2 was too great and too important and wasn't meant to be made fun of. Like somebody trying to copy another person's personality to be more popular, it didn't suit them. Now I realize a lot of you love Zooropa and Pop and I'm not knocking that. I'm simply stating a fact that things were not 'all right' and if there was any 'bad press' it was from those days, not JT and Rattle and Hum!

You speak of ATYCLB and Bono's work in Africa being respected now. That is a result of the way were able to salvage their reputations and present themselves to the public, winning back the respect of media and fans alike, whether or not it was right they ever had to. It was the respect they had won in the late 80's that they won back. ATYCLB was the 'comeback' not AB! Those are the facts, man.

Now with Bono's campaigns in Africa and all his accolades, along with their impressive catalog of songs and videos, U2 is assured their legacy and and respect for all time.

But I must ask you, would the 'silly' U2 in their 'funny' costumes ever had been asked to do the Super Bowl, NBA halftime, etc.? ;)

Which is not to say that they are 'serious' now. Well, they are serious, serious about their work, sentimental, reflective and grateful. Their life experience can be heard in their recent work. But anyone who's ever seen, heard, or read a Bono interview knows he is a cool and witty guy. But he always was, all his life, regardless of what he sang or wore. But now that is has become a figure of world importance, he can't let go of his credibility. His message is too important for that. He's handling it just fine, just the way he is:)

Oh, did you know he said the "F" word again at the Novello awards? :lol:

.....what a "fucking" beautiful day!

... Bono, May 22, 2003

err, U2 was blasted in the media during the Rattle and Hum Era, which is what in part spurred the whole change that they underwent in the first place. It was something called Irony, which a lot of people didn't get. There loss IMO, Pop was a fantastic album, and a fantastic tour. U2 admited they were poking fun at themselves, and the consumer culture that is heavily present in America. Pop as whole was very well recieved at first. It wasn't until after that some started putting it down. Even still, are people that shallow that they would judge a book by its cover? LIsten, if someone doesn't like Pop because of the music, fine. But to sya that that they lost respect for a band because of their image? That's shallow, not to mention silly. Would U2 have been invited to play the Bowl if they were still in their Pop phase? Probably, after all, no one seemed to object to their "sillyness" when they were playing Sarajevo. Whatever, I'm just tired of people bashing the Pop era U2 because of the way they looked. Common, are people really that shallow? The music itself was as heavy as anything U2's ever released and that's the beauty of Pop that so many missed. If anything, U2 gained respect in the real music world by having the balls to go out and do "Pop". Not the other way around. ATYCLB wasn't a comeback at all, U2 never lost anything. Maybe commercially it was, but who cares how many records they sell. It's about the quality of music. I gained a tremendous amount of respect for U2 with both Zooropa and Pop and pray that they regain their adventurerous spirit.
Bono has been involved with world affiars long before his African campaign, and has been well respected for it. The idea that Pop lessened Bonos credentials is absurd, and uninformed. The Belfast show, Sarajevo and the concert that Bono and Edge played for Sarajevo are all examples of Bono's charity work. As a matter of fact, Bono recieves more criticsm now for his "ridicoulus" sunglasses thaen he ever recieved during the Pop era.
Another view is that U2 have sold out with ATYCLB. I don;t believe it, but I've heard many people say that, far more than during the Pop era. You know what, in a way, they are right. U2 wrote material that was far more accesible to the mainstream with ATYCLB then they did with either Zooropa or Pop. That's not a bad thing perse, and much of the music was fantastic. But Pop was such an emotional record, raw emotion, ATYCLB is the aftermath. The band has a perspective, they are reliving their past, not creating it. It's a world of difference. A difference that many don;t appreciate, which is a shame. To each their own I guess......

Last edited:
Originally posted by Joyfulgirl
But look back at the Unforgettable Fire video documentary--those are some serious and intense mofos, or maybe just guarded.

Oh I don't think so, and as a matter of fact, I point to that tape as an excellent example of how FUNNY they were back then! At one point, Bono is standing up singing and he can't even finish the song without laughing and slapping his hands! Did you see the eclipse scene? Hilarious! Bono doodling in his notebook? That's a cute and amusing look at the boys at work.

Zooropa- I'm not going to get into the old 'didn't get it' Pop argument with you, but the numbers clearly show that MILLIONS of people who had loved JT and AB passed on POP and their had to be a reason for that. I don't think it was the 'irony' thing, I mean, even if you don't get a joke and someone explains the punch line you can still hate it and think it's the dumbest joke you've ever heard. Do you really think anybody goes, "I don't understand what these guys are trying to say so I'm not going to buy this cd." ?? Most music is not really understood by people, they have no idea what was on the writer's mind, and most people don't care. Often times you can't even understand the lyrics! I don't think anybody really cares if they thoroughly understand a message, all they care about is whether or not they like what they hear! No, I don't think most people rejected it on looks alone, though that surely didn't help the cause any. About Rattle and Hum, well, I still don't remember any negative press from that time, but I can't say it never happened. But still, even if there was some, it obviously didn't hurt them nearly as much as the bad press from the 90's did. I think that was because with Rattle and Hum, they were at the height of their popularity and had the fans behind them and they lost some of that in the 90's when it was a combination of being bashed by the critics AND the fans. Like you said, to each his own!:) The thing with the sunglasses being more bashed now than before, well it could be he's been wearing them for 12 years and the press just now got fed up with them?;) Who knows. It was a slow news day:lol:

Again, I think U2 is too special and too important to be a joke. They are saving the world and that's not funny, it's serious business.

Bono'sgirl84- THANK YOU and I'll look forward to watching it! :wave:

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom