remember modsavage?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I'm going to go against the grain...I found Modsavage incredibly self-absorbed. His "contests" were shams and on one occasion he unjustly berated me to the entire mailing list. I suppose those that received tapes from him were infatuated enough to indulge him in his massive ego-trips.

As for J, I disagreed with most everything he ever wrote, however I found his posts absolutely HILARIOUS. He was articulate, informed, and opinionated. I respected that about him even while I was in sharp disagreement with most of his rather extreme views. I'm convinced on more than one occasion he was simply playing Devil's Advocate to stoke the debate. In other words, he didn't even believe what he was posting. Nevertheless, his viewpoints made for some memorable posts.

I miss WIRE all said and told and J's posts in particular...nevertheless I like the format of this board even more and occasionally the subject matter can be very fun (POP debates, etc).

I was on WIRE way back in the "fun days." I think my first post on it was in '94. It had existed well before then - I think even pre-AB. However, most of us didn't have access to the 'net then, or if we did, we really didn't know how to use it.

WIRE always had its share of fights. That's because the list was not moderated (like here). People could slam others for no reason. However, there were some that deserved slamming. And then, there were others SO sensitive to the slightest disagreement that they couldn't take any negativity directed their way.

One person, for example, really seemed to get along well with me. One day, she and I had a VERY civil discussion on a topic on WIRE. I was just trying to understand her view - nothing more. Yet, despite the fact that we often e-mailed each other in the past and had a lot of fun discussions on WIRE, the thought that I dare disagree with her sent her, along with a few other simple-minded people, spiralling into their own little egotistical world. They ultimately formed their own U2 mailing list where ANYONE who disagreed with them was instantly banned. It was truly pathetic. Sadly, this same woman was involved in the early days of Interference - fortunately, Joel took care of that problem.
biggrin.gif

Despite the negativity on WIRE, there was a lot of good things too. For example, we organized 3 charity drives - the last one generating over $5000!! People from around the world donated to a VERY trustworthy person on WIRE (Heidi). She in turn gave the $$ to some U2-supported charities, like Amnesty International. We also generated over $700 for equipment upgrades (larger hard drives) to keep WIRE going strong.

Through WIRE, we helped organize the one and only U.S. based U2 convention. This was held in August, 1996 in Chicago. It even received press in the Chicago newspapers. It wasn't huge and it needed a TON of work, but it was a start. Sadly, it was the only U2 convention on U.S. soil that I know of. Still, that was a great chance to meet some fellow U2 fans and WIRE members.

Lastly, we had a WIRE banner. This HUGE banner was signed by WIRE members and U2 fans around the world. Even all of U2 signed it! Sadly, while in Europe, someone STOLE the WIRE banner. We tried creating a new one, but it just wasn't the same. To this day, I'm convinced that some twisted fanatic has that WIRE banner in his basement, just waiting for the "safe" day to either display it or sell it on eBay.

The negativity on WIRE is the reason I'm not a fan of U2 fans. The squabbling, the stealing, the egos - it was too much. But it was a very informative site and some people did some real good there.

However, after WIRE crashed one last time (I think back in 2000), several new WIRES appeared - all of them bad. Most contained just fighting or silly posts.

Interference may not be perfect (for example, I think we as a group could do a lot more, like organize additional donations to U2-supported charities and perhaps even organize more U2-conventions) but it is, by far, the best U2 forum out there. The list is highly moderated, which adds a lot of comfort. When I was attacked last year after expressing my grief over the loss of my friends' child, the moderators responded. Those attacking hateful posts were removed and the people were banned. I was so impressed that I realized that Interference is where I will continue to participate with other U2 fans.

As for people like ModSavage... well, his generosity was tremendous. I appreciated that he helped new U2 fans obtain copies of boots. However, he too had a very sensitive ego and was willing to flame those who questioned him in a heartbeat. Plus, while his "I love U2, yay me" posts were cute once in a while, to see two or three of them a day was a bit much. Could you imagine how Salome or Sicy would respond seeing a new "I love U2, yay me" thread posted EVERY day?
wink.gif

J was clearly argumentative just for the sake of it. Sometimes I took him up on his arguments, other times I realized it wasn't worthwhile, and still other times, I realized he hit on a good point. Laz argued the most with J and it was fun reading their posts. But even that became tiresome after a while.

There are some old WIRE members (circa '97) that I wish were on Interference - or, if they are, active participants of the list. A young lady, named Aingeal on WIRE, went to tons of U2 POPMart shows. I wonder if she also went to tons of Elevation shows - and if so, I'd love to hear her stories. She too had a very strong ego, frequently causing fights on WIRE through her condescending tone. But she also accomplished a lot and was a great source of U2 information. Other U2 people, like Heidi - who organized the charity drives I mentioned above (and is also the poor woman who had her U2-themed license plates stolen at a U2 concert last year), and Bob Reck - a very knowledgeable person, would help make this list complete.

However, as is, I find Interference an enjoyable and informative place. The only thing I miss are Sicy's smiles. Ever since she started moderating, her smiley faces have left.
frown.gif

Hi Mod! J rocks! I'm sure he'll make a great lawyer. Of course, he never had to sell me on the idea of how much POP sucks!
wink.gif

------------------
"I've been all over,
and it's been all over me!"

Originally posted by doctorwho:
A young lady, named Aingeal on WIRE, went to tons of U2 POPMart shows. I wonder if she also went to tons of Elevation shows - and if so, I'd love to hear her stories. She too had a very strong ego, frequently causing fights on WIRE through her condescending tone. But she also accomplished a lot and was a great source of U2 information. (

I remember Aingeal! I have always wondered what happened to her and what she was up to now. I think she went to every single POP show on the NA continent and the one Ireland. She followed the band around that year and had all kinds of adventures. She should have written a book about it.

I remember the anger about the banner...and the tremedous to do when Discotheque was 'burgled" I think we were the first internt list to get an unrealeased song...we made it into Time Magazine.

Maybe I'll go back and look them up...and see how they are doing .....

dream wanderer

Hi
redface.gif
)
Thanks for remembering me.
I thought perhaps I was dead.
All though I do live in Bakersfield.

It is cool there is such cool people hiding out on this list.
Sad that some people still harbor negative feelings and try to infect the list like a virus with their negative personal attacks.
Which as I read, is why some of you left Wire in the first place.

As for my motives for giving away boots or saying I love U2 YAY, the people who KNOW me know why I do what I do.

It is funny and sad that people are jaded and just can't accept the truth on why I gave away boots.
They never got it!
There are no parades, there are no high fives.
All it comes down to is getting U2 music out to people who normally can't get it. The jaded ones try to find some hidden agenda as opposed to the thought of just being nice.
I just had the means to do so.
Now that technology has grown and almost everyone has a cd burner, I really don't need to do it as much.
Technology is cool!

These list should be and are about sharing U2 thoughts, music and information.
YAY
And should be kept that way.

Oh J is studying for the bar and Angiel went to Elevation shows she is a nice girl.

I LOVE U2 YAY
redface.gif
)
me

P.S. If you personally attacked a person on the list, you really shouldn't expect that person to sit back and take it.

Back
Top Bottom