Remastering 3 Old Albums This Year!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Visiongfx

Acrobat
I don't know if anybody of you have heard about this or posted before but i just found some news about them remastering Boy, October, and War this spring!

http://www.u2star.com/blog/u2-news/u2-remastering-themselves.html

IT also looks looks legit because amazon has them up also.

http://www.amazon.com/s?keywords=u2...aps,k:u2,i:popular,n:301668&sort=-releasedate
(Edit - The link isn't working quite right, just change the sorting too release date and they'll show up at the top)

Sounds pretty awesome, stardard & deluxe editions too!

I'm excited i havn't listened to U2 in a few weeks actually, hehe.

-Kyle

Last edited:
Get on with the Achtung Baby already...

But I'm glad to hear about this. While I would usually consider remasters to be cheap cash-ins (and they probably are), these albums could actually use a remaster.

topplehatU2 said:
Get on with the Achtung Baby already...

Well, aside from Joshua Tree, it looks like they're going chronologically, so they'll get to it. :)

Based on price options, looks like we'll get extras in a deluxe package, too!

I didn't realize all three were coming out at the same time. I'm so glad May is one of the months this year where I get a third paycheck. :hyper:

ntalwar said:

AB is already "loud" enough, so I doubt it'll be remastered.

:huh: Remastering isn't about cranking the volume up, though. The songs sound like dogshit. Something needs to be done to fix the end of UTEOTW, for example.

Axver said:

:huh: Remastering isn't about cranking the volume up, though. The songs sound like dogshit. Something needs to be done to fix the end of UTEOTW, for example.

It's about reducing dynamic range, and the overall volume as well as individual part volumes frequently go up. A remixing is another issue.

I've often found "Remasters" to be a bit misleading. Many remasters also go through a slight remix.

All U2 albums could benefit from slight remixing. Not club remixes, mind you. We've got enough of those.

ntalwar said:

It's about reducing dynamic range, and the overall volume as well as individual part volumes frequently go up. A remixing is another issue.

Yes, I know that the standard practice nowadays. But remastering doesn't mean compress to hell the files, turn up the volume and make them sounding shrill, bright and harsh until your ears bleed :(

ponkine said:

Yes, I know that the standard practice nowadays. But remastering doesn't mean compress to hell the files, turn up the volume and make them sounding shrill, bright and harsh until your ears bleed :(

Right - the JT remaster was rather light in compression. AB doesn't suffer from the anemic sounds (e.g. bass and drums) that the 80s albums do, so I don't think they'll remaster it.

ntalwar said:

AB is already "loud" enough, so I doubt it'll be remastered.

Having spent countless hours in a studio, mixing and mastering go hand in hand. Mastering affects the mixing and vice-versa. You can't do one without affecting the other.

Axver said:

:up:

ntalwar said:

Right - the JT remaster was rather light in compression. AB doesn't suffer from the anemic sounds (e.g. bass and drums) that the 80s albums do, so I don't think they'll remaster it.

And I hope you're wrong. :up:

the tourist said:

Having spent countless hours in a studio, mixing and mastering go hand in hand. Mastering affects the mixing and vice-versa. You can't do one without affecting the other.

But they call it a remaster, not a remix. If it were a remix, they would call it that. :up:

ntalwar said:

But they call it a remaster, not a remix. If it were a remix, they would call it that. :up:

Despite calling The Joshua Tree simply a remaster, it was also a remix. :up:

Proof? Listen to Exit.

No one has really addressed the differences between the Gold Joshua Tree and the remastered JT (if there is any). I'm curious to see how the remastered War will differ from the Gold album -- whether the longer versions of Seconds and Like a Song will be featured. Ditto for Unforgettable Fire down the line.

I've been wanting this for quite a while now. This will be a great way to get back into their back catalogue again. I haven't been listening to them much recently.

I've abandoned my child.

October's one of my favourite U2 albums ever so really looking forward to a having a remastered copy since my original LP and CD are wrecked, but can we USE LESS THUMBS UP IN HERE YOU PANSIES?!

Back
Top Bottom