Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shika

Acrobat
Does anyone else have a partner that really just ISN'T into U2? :madwife: My b/f, bless him, just does not like them at all, in fact, he thinks Bono is the biggest wanker to ever walk the earth (it's the glasses that do it, Bono, TAKE THEM OFF!) and he does not understand how or why I feel the need, the compulsion, the yearning, to see them live as many times as I can in my lifetime. :)scratch: - hmm, sometimes, neither do I!) I am trying to get him to come to a show with me in Sydney, but he is reluctant (I'd be better off leaving him at home, but I know he'd have a great time once he was there.)

Anyway, just wondering who else out there has this situation in their home and what they do about it?

Me too, my wife absolutely hates them!
I always said that my ideal woman would have to be a U2 fan, turns out that wasn';t the case:)
My parents are Irish and really hate Bono in particular, so you can imagine the arguments I had with them as I played u2 24/7!!
I feel exactly like U2, they are everything to me!!:)))
Most of my friends hate U2 and particuarly Bono too!!
If you're ever in London, and U2 happen to be playing, get in touch, we can go see them and ourpartners can bitch about our beloved B-man!

everybody around me hate U2 and mostly Bono for the sole reason I love them...
I don't know why, but people always think it's funny to bash things others love.... :shrug: I just tend to ignore them....

^ Yeh, my b/f tends to taunt me with comments he thinks will rile me up. I ignore it as well, but it's sad when the person you love more than anyone in the world (yeh, even more than Bono!) doesn't share your passion. It can be lonely... :sad:!

My husband of 14 years does like U2 but he doesn't understands how I can be so obsessed with them and Bono. He teases me a lot but in general is really good about it. One part he really doesn't understand is why I have always loved them but just in the last couple years become obsessed with them! I tried to explain to him that music means different things to you at different times in your life and that while I have always loved them that right now their music just speaks to me like never before. As for my family they just think it is funny how much I love Bono and my best friend says "you have an Irishman at home.. why do you like Bono!!!??" :laugh:

My boyfriend likes them all right but isn't a fan like I am. He is pretty considerate about it though...like if he hears some news about them, he will tell me about it.

A mutual love and respect for U2 is one of the reasons that my wife and I connected when we first met. In a way U2 brought us closer together.

No one else in my family likes U2. None of my friends like them. And if I actually had a girlfriend, you can bet she wouldn't like them either.

fly so high! said:
My hubby can take U2 or leave them....and my friends think i'm weird that i like U2 so much.....but I DON'T CARE:tongue:

I always find it odd that some can tease us about U2 or think we are odd for caring for U2 so much - but that they don't see this same obsession within themselves, just for a different group (or artist or actor or sports team or even another person). We are all obsessed about something.

As such, the people I associate with accept my love for U2. I openly admit that I'm a "freakazoid" but I try not to bring up U2 in conversation that much, other than to say I enjoy a new song or there's a tour coming, etc. Also, the people I associate with accept that they were - at one time or another - freakazoids themselves about another band. These tend to be the most stable and happy friendships. :)

My hubby likes a few songs, and has come to a few of their concerts with me but he also likes to call Bono Boner to get me going. :rolleyes: he is def not a freak about them like me.

He was o.k. with me changing the date of our honeymoon so we could see them in Vegas, so maybe he is a closet junkie? :giggle:

shika said:
I am trying to get him to come to a show with me in Sydney, but he is reluctant (I'd be better off leaving him at home, but I know he'd have a great time once he was there.)

Anyway, just wondering who else out there has this situation in their home and what they do about it?

Just my opinion but I'd leave him at home. Nothing worse than bringing someone to something that you absolutely love only to have them yawning or otherwise disinterested.

It can cause serious resentment :mad: Go with someone that WILL enjoy it and make your experience better.

My wife actually really like some of U2s stuff when we married. With me listening to them as often as I do, this became just tolerance. Now she really hates them....to the point where she said "if you want to go half the way round the world to see them, then GO, BUT ON YOUR OWN!"

Re: Re: Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans

redkat said:

Just my opinion but I'd leave him at home. Nothing worse than bringing someone to something that you absolutely love only to have them yawning or otherwise disinterested.

I agree. I remember at Twickenham last year there was a couple sitting in front of us. He obviously didn't want to be there and sat down the whole time with his arms folded, whilst his wife/girlfriend was up dancing and going wild from the start. They then appeared to have an argument before the encore -he stormed out and she had to follow him.
My husband (then boyfriend) actually introduced me to U2 back in the early 80s. They're still his favourite band but he's not as obsessed as I am. He says for instance he's too old now to get standing tickets whilst I'd love to have another chance to get up close.

Re: Re: Re: Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans

Greenlight said:

I agree. I remember at Twickenham last year there was a couple sitting in front of us. He obviously didn't want to be there and sat down the whole time with his arms folded, whilst his wife/girlfriend was up dancing and going wild from the start. They then appeared to have an argument before the encore -he stormed out and she had to follow him.

This is the reason why the person who wants to be at the concert needs to keep the keys to the car! Then the other person can leave the venue and go do something else, but can't be a twit and make the other person leave. :yes:

My husband barely tolorates my love of U2 and thinks Bono is not genuine. I even tried taking him to a show (the opening show of Vertigo) and he wasn't impressed. What a waste of a ticket. I have to say though, I'm lucky he tolorates my obsession doesn't ever complain about all of the shows I go to.
Anyone going to Raconteurs tonight?
Wondering what time they are letting people in.

Mr. Blu tolerated my fascination/obsession with U2 for the first 16 years we were together.... He didn't get it, but he didn't give me a bunch of crap about it either. He felt the same way about their music - didn't love it, didn't hate it.

However, since he agreed to join me last November & December when we saw them in New York & Charlotte (his 1st & 2nd U2 shows ever), he's become a diehard fan of their live performances and has begun to develop a favorite song or two. (He's never been a music junkie like me, so that's a BIG development for him! :laugh: ) He even drove with me down to Myrtle Beach SC in April to see a tribute band (UV - great guys, btw!). He thoroughly enjoyed himself there, will be going with me to see Vertigo here in Wilmington next month and has gotten as involved with completing my vinyl album collection as I am.

It took 16 years but he finally came around!!!!! :dancing: :hyper: :lol: Moral of the story is sometimes (with enough exposure), people can actually begin to see/understand what it is that we find so great about U2. And once they get over their disbelief that they could like something they once hated so much, they become fans themselves. And those are the best converts! :yes: :D

Galeongirl said:
I don't know why, but people always think it's funny to bash things others love.... :shrug: I just tend to ignore them....

i know exactly what you mean, just the other day i got mad at my friends and told them, that if i wasnt such a big U2 fan, then they would love them, and my one friend who just likes to make me mad said that bono 'puts him to sleep', though i know for a fact that most of his music SUCKS

anyway, its annoying

BluRmGrl said:
However, since he agreed to join me last November & December when we saw them in New York & Charlotte (his 1st & 2nd U2 shows ever), he's become a diehard fan of their live performances and has begun to develop a favorite song or two. (He's never been a music junkie like me, so that's a BIG development for him! :laugh: ) He even drove with me down to Myrtle Beach SC in April to see a tribute band (UV - great guys, btw!). He thoroughly enjoyed himself there, will be going with me to see Vertigo here in Wilmington next month and has gotten as involved with completing my vinyl album collection as I am.

BluRmGl - I took Mr. Sun to the Charlotte show too. He went RELUCTENTLY! I had a great time - He did not. I think we are complete opposites on the U2 scale. :giggle: For his own good, next time around, he's staying home, unless he initiates his going.
Still working on him, but he is one tough case....:wink:

I have got to check out UV!!! :yes:

Last edited:
On our first date my husband and I first really connected thru U2...he asked me my favorite band I said "U2" then he told me to pick out a CD...I opened his cd case and it was FULL of U2 cds:rockon: I'd knew then I'd marry him.

Hi uncle doesn't like U2 at all:mad: I don't even think they've heard anything other than Beautiful day or Elevation...I just wanna take songs like "One Tree Hill" and cram it down his throat and dare him to tell me he doesn't like it:madwife:

BluRmGrl said:
Mr. Blu tolerated my fascination/obsession with U2 for the first 16 years we were together.... He didn't get it, but he didn't give me a bunch of crap about it either. He felt the same way about their music - didn't love it, didn't hate it.

It took 16 years but he finally came around!!!!! :dancing: :hyper: :lol: Moral of the story is sometimes (with enough exposure), people can actually begin to see/understand what it is that we find so great about U2. And once they get over their disbelief that they could like something they once hated so much, they become fans themselves. And those are the best converts! :yes: :D

Wow, great story! :up:

I think as long as the other party in the relationship is understanding and at least supportive of your passion/hobby (which is how I view being a U2 fan), they dont have to like them. Of course if they do, that is something major the two of you would have in common and are able to enjoy together. My last relationship was not supportive of my hobby. What is funny about it is we started dating while Popmart was going on and I was going to a bunch of shows. She knew about it, said it was cool, etc... Fast forward to Elevation. How much is this going to cost? How long are you going to be gone? I think that is too many shows. All I will say is it was BAAAAD! A year later we were no longer together. Wasnt really because of U2, but it didnt help anything, thats for sure. :shrug:

Personally I think most of you are more lucky than me.

Even if your significant other hates U2 at least they know who they are

Most of my friends won't know U2 if they wound up on their doorstep. They just aren't music people. The only person I know who even remotelly likes U2 is my brother, and it's more the annoying type, "You like them, therefore I will like them" thing.

And I swear there isn't another U2 fan in my intire city. It's sad I had to go online to find some kindred spirits

My girl bought me one ticket to see them at MSG.She knew I could care less if I was alone.Little did she know I wasn't, I was with a group of people just like me!!!

doctorwho said:

I always find it odd that some can tease us about U2 or think we are odd for caring for U2 so much - but that they don't see this same obsession within themselves, just for a different group (or artist or actor or sports team or even another person). We are all obsessed about something.

This is so true. Mr Shika actually took two weeks off work to video tape and watch EVERY game of the recent World Cup, so you think he'd be more understanding, wouldn't ya? :scratch: I actually think he's a tad jealous that I can have so much fun without him - to which I say, if you can't beat 'em, join 'em!

He is softening his 'tude, now that the dates are re-scheduled, and I am sure that if he does end up coming to a show he will enjoy it. I have front row seats on the side of the first tier - how hard could it be?! :yes:

Thanks for the solidarity, guys. We should start a club: "U2 fans with amused/confused partners" :lmao:

Galeongirl said:

That is the exact same as me.

When the tickets came on sale for the Aus shows, one of my mates genuinely said, "U2...is that the two chicks?" and the other replied, "No. It's the one who have boner as a lead singer."

These are kids who are think Death Metal is the best music ever to hit the face of the earth.

I feel pity for them :|

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom