Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
adrball said:
My wife actually really like some of U2s stuff when we married. With me listening to them as often as I do, this became just tolerance. Now she really hates them....to the point where she said "if you want to go half the way round the world to see them, then GO, BUT ON YOUR OWN!"

Ha! Sorry to hear that.

My wife to be would be more along the lines of, "I got tickets to Pittsburgh. Can I borrow your car?" :sigh:

Oh that sounds so crap. I think it's really sad.
Honestly, most people in my surroundings actually don't know how much I am into U2. I don't tell many people. Some know it and bluntly ignore it. My father likes to roll his eyes and say that he thinks I am too old for this stuff and should finally grow up. I think many people are rejecting Bono in particular, because he's so present in the media and such a controversial person. They don't care to learn more about a person, instead they find it easy to base their opinions on some superficial information.

I believe that if you really love a person you accept that passion and try to support it as good as you can. Plus I really LOVE people who have a passion, that's the reason why I like to come to boards like this, because I am absolutly in love with people who love a band like you love U2 and their single members. Most people don't have or know that sort of passion, that's why they are scared of it. In truth, THEY are the really scary ones.

Dismantled said:
On our first date my husband and I first really connected thru U2...he asked me my favorite band I said "U2" then he told me to pick out a CD...I opened his cd case and it was FULL of U2 cds:rockon: I'd knew then I'd marry him.

Hi uncle doesn't like U2 at all:mad: I don't even think they've heard anything other than Beautiful day or Elevation...I just wanna take songs like "One Tree Hill" and cram it down his throat and dare him to tell me he doesn't like it:madwife:
awww that is so cute! =)

fear_nothing, i feel ya. (btw i LOVE your username! very clever!)
my friends were kinda like that...they knew OF U2, but they didn't really know U2's music. i had a lot of converting to do, but now they're tolerant of my extreme obsession

There has always been a deep hate for U2 in the general public...but the ones that love them love them foreever like us!

Family and friends are very tired of my obsession. My husband who is a fan says that at least he likes then too so then its okay for him to share me with them!!!:ohmy:

well I just got engaged!! (Like, this weekend!) :love: So I guess he can live with the U2 "thing" afterall. I think he's coming round on the coming-to-a-show idea. He's even showing a sneaky bit of enthusiasm. I may be on a winner, here. And ain't love grand...

Stay tuned!

Yahweh said:
There has always been a deep hate for U2 in the general public...but the ones that love them love them foreever like us!

Very true :yes:

Hey Shika - Congratulations girlie - we have to celebrate in November :hug: :drunk:

I'm lucky in that I've never really run into any problems with anyone regarding my willingness to travel to see the band. My problem is the opposite. Now that I've gone off a lot of post-Lovetown U2, people still expect me to love everything U2 and phone me to tell me Mysterious Ways' music video is on TV. :wink:

COBL_04 said:
These are kids who are think Death Metal is the best music ever to hit the face of the earth.

I feel pity for them :|

That's probably because some of the most talented musicians on earth play death metal. Just check out Sean Malone (Cynic) or Tony Choy (Atheist) for bass wizardry that will make your head spin.

Though I do wonder if you know what death metal actually is. It's not the juvenile crap that some people inaccurately depict metal as being.

My ex bf really liked U2 and had been to one of their shows, and i hadn't which he really tried to annoy me with! But whenever i brought up U2 he'd always say that i really had a problem but you would have thought he'd understand being a U2 fan himself, not a huge one though. He was the only person i knew that liked U2 apart from my dad and i thought that because he knew that he would give me support for my passion.

shika said:
Does anyone else have a partner that really just ISN'T into U2? :madwife: My b/f, bless him, just does not like them at all, in fact, he thinks Bono is the biggest wanker to ever walk the earth (it's the glasses that do it, Bono, TAKE THEM OFF!) and he does not understand how or why I feel the need, the compulsion, the yearning, to see them live as many times as I can in my lifetime. :)scratch: - hmm, sometimes, neither do I!) I am trying to get him to come to a show with me in Sydney, but he is reluctant (I'd be better off leaving him at home, but I know he'd have a great time once he was there.)

Anyway, just wondering who else out there has this situation in their home and what they do about it?

I think you should go with people who love and respect U2 like you do! You will have a much better time, and you can always do something that you and your partner both really enjoy some other time soon.

My hubby tolerates my U2 fandom, and I guess I could say supports it (or me, anyway) to a point - he did, afterall, travel with me to see them in Honolulu, Phoenix and Anaheim this past tour. He has always "liked" their music, much like a causal fan would. I guess with this tour, he must have kicked it up a notch, but he doesn't listen to their music in the car (unless I'm in it and controlling the music :wink: ), etc.

He does get a bit tired of it if I watch U2 realted stuff on tv, etc, but he just teases me a bit, and I tune him out. :madspit: :wink:

If Bono is on tv for something, my mom will call and tell me she saw "my boyfriend" on tv, my family teases me about my love for U2. (My family has tolerated this love for more than 20 years, as I became a big fan when I was around 14 and visiting my father's family in Ireland) My Irish cousins converted me early!!

I did manage to convert my older sister this past tour - she went with me to both Vegas shows and after that 2nd Vegas show, who wouldn't become a fan of U2? That show was amazing!! :drool:

Re: Re: Reluctant partners of obsessed U2 fans

Cat Evans said:

I think you should go with people who love and respect U2 like you do! You will have a much better time, and you can always do something that you and your partner both really enjoy some other time soon.

She prob did, she posted that in July last year! :wink: All these old threads being bumped.

Oi Shika you married yet?

^ Well I got married just one month ago, thanks very much :love: and I've been away from the forum for soooooo long, it's great to be back. :wave: And would you believe it, my new hubby relented literally days before the wedding and gave the OK for us to use "Beautiful Day" as our entrance song :up: and have some U2 played through the night on the sound system. Also, one of my bridesmaids made a hilarious speech about how Andrew was going to have to accept that there were three people in this marriage and that he would have to make room in the marital bed for Bono! Ha! If only... :lol:

shika said:
^ Well I got married just one month ago, thanks very much :love: and I've been away from the forum for soooooo long, it's great to be back. :wave: And would you believe it, my new hubby relented literally days before the wedding and gave the OK for us to use "Beautiful Day" as our entrance song :up: and have some U2 played through the night on the sound system. Also, one of my bridesmaids made a hilarious speech about how Andrew was going to have to accept that there were three people in this marriage and that he would have to make room in the marital bed for Bono! Ha! If only... :lol:

CONGRATULATIONS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks for reviving this thread!

I only stop by this forum every once in a while, and this thread really captured my attention.

My wife *likes* U2 as much as she sometimes *loathes* my obsession, particular its tax on my pocketbook.

We're not rich, and what I give in books, CDs, DVDs, time online, etc. is sort of like rent.

But my family as a whole "gets it." My last shows of Vertigo were with family, including my wife and stepson and mom and dad and brother and sister-in-law.

My sis-in-law is including Bono in her PhD on the 'rhetoric of faith.'

Somehow I missed this forum last summer! Ed56 is not a big fan, my kids make fun of me constantly, my girlfriends just roll their eyes so I try VERY HARD not to bring up U2 (although when one of them says something like "Thanks, you too!" I secretly rejoice). Did take hubby to my last show, we got right smack against the stage in front of Edge, and what did he do? Put earplugs in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:wink: i just go on, and on with my U2 passion, since 1981! It's as if they are such a part of my life..their music. live shows! I've only found people with my "like' passion Here!! But you should know if I had to travel 3,000 miles or 100 to see U2..alone., i will do it!! So I would Have to be with some one with my "like' passion! :drool: :sexywink: Bono will l always be my first love!!:heart: :bono:

My husband doesn't like U2. He doesn't care anything about them. He calls Bono Bone-o and tonight called him Bozo. I went to one concert with him only because he went along, had seats, I would rather have been in GA. He plays guitar and sometimes I ask him to learn some U2 songs but he hasn't yet and he said it was simple to play. (yeah, but not simple to make up is what I said)

Back
Top Bottom