Release Methods - Radiohead v. U2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 09-30-2007, 09:17 PM   #1
Refugee

Local Time: 10:46 AM
Release Methods - Radiohead v. U2

Check out the radiohead site.

www.radiohead.com

We've mentioned before how U2's release schedule/business decisions, etc. are a bit maddening and that there are maybe more novel ways to release your music. It appears that radiohead are putting out their new record in 10 days (!) through their site.

It will be interesting to see how this pans out. No record company. No record stores. Hmmm.

Old 09-30-2007, 09:37 PM   #2
War Child

very interesting indeed; hope they designed it with high volume in mind.. seems to be running a bit slow.. tons of traffic no doubt, when was this announced?

Old 09-30-2007, 09:58 PM   #3
Refugee

I think just earlier this evening.

I know that these two bands are completely different in terms of sales, expectations, etc.

I just think finding different routes is interesting, that's all. It will be interesting to see how this does without the usual record label fanfare, promotion, etc.
Old 09-30-2007, 10:23 PM   #4
War Child

i bet more and more bands will do this in future. it makes lots of sense with live albums and eps especially.
Old 10-01-2007, 12:04 AM   #5
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 AM
U2 could easily release their albums on their own label, they'd never do something like this at this stage of their career. I'm not looking for spontaniety in the way they release albums, but in the material. Like release all the songs from Fez, and maybe a more studio polished album next year, give us something new.

It's cool, but it's also only a matter of time before In Rainbows comes out in record stores.
Old 10-01-2007, 04:35 AM   #6
War Child

What Radiohead are doing is great IMO, and I am sure U2 will do it eventually in their career also.
I have to say though....the pleasure of cueing in front of the record shop and get your copy on the day of release, open the cd sleeve, read the enclosed booklet, the aknowledgements.... makes me feel more part of it. I might be old fashioned, but..
Old 10-01-2007, 05:38 AM   #7
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Pretty pathetic.....

I'd rather rock up to my local record store rather then be some useless misanthropic computer nerd who jacks off at the mention of an exclusive download.

Release it normally please Radiohead. What you're doing isn't clever or so audaciously left-field, it's just silly.

There's a reason albums have been packaged in a traditional format and released in a traditional strategy, because it made common sense.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:15 AM   #8
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 08:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by intedomine
Pretty pathetic.....

I'd rather rock up to my local record store rather then be some useless misanthropic computer nerd who jacks off at the mention of an exclusive download.

Release it normally please Radiohead. What you're doing isn't clever or so audaciously left-field, it's just silly.

There's a reason albums have been packaged in a traditional format and released in a traditional strategy, because it made common sense.
Old 10-01-2007, 06:58 AM   #9
War Child

Local Time: 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by edurban
What Radiohead are doing is great IMO, and I am sure U2 will do it eventually in their career also.
I have to say though....the pleasure of cueing in front of the record shop and get your copy on the day of release, open the cd sleeve, read the enclosed booklet, the aknowledgements.... makes me feel more part of it. I might be old fashioned, but..
Yeah, I agree, I really enjoy all the anticipation of a new album coming out, and then going to the store, picking the album off the shelf, actually being able to hold it, then read through the booklet, reading the lyrics and looking at the photo's is all part of the fun IMO. Maybe I'm set in my ways but it just feels more satisfying. The band seem to think so too, especially with the last two albums, both with sliding cardboard sleeve designs and the DVD and booklet with HTDAAB, it makes the whole experience more satisfying.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:25 AM   #10
Refugee

Again, not trying to start a fight here.

Obviously the Radiohead album will come out in physical form at some point. The entire world is not online with connnections fast enough to download this stuff.

But as physical CD sales slump, it is interesting to see how bands interface with their fans. I used to love holding the CDs in my hand as well, but I'm completely off it now.

I like the idea of a band putting lots of stuff up. A subscription to live shows would be pretty sweet.

Like it or not, getting your entertainment through bits and bytes steaming through the air is the future. Record stores will not rebound. And we'll all be useless misanthropic computer nerds.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:34 AM   #11
Blue Crack Distributor

Local Time: 05:46 AM
look... i love pearl jam, almost as much as i love u2. they release music anytime they want, when ever they want, through whatever means they want... fan club only releases, internet releases, limited time only releases, blah blu blah blah blah.

it's fantastic... it's great... it's something u2 can't do.

u2 is one of the biggest names in global entertainment. all of these things that bands that may have rabid followings but simply are not as big as they once were (or once could have been), i.e. pearl jam, radiohead, r.e.m., are things that would not make good business sense to u2.

u2 wants to stay on the forefront... these other acts are happy sitting in the back of the room. the last thing bono wants to become is bob geldof... i.e. a social icon of whom the average person can't even name one of his songs. he needs to stay at least on the edge of relevance.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:38 AM   #12
ONE
love, blood, life

Local Time: 06:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase
look... i love pearl jam, almost as much as i love u2. they release music anytime they want, when ever they want, through whatever means they want... fan club only releases, internet releases, limited time only releases, blah blu blah blah blah.

u2 is one of the biggest names in global entertainment. all of these things that bands that may have rabid followins but simply are not as big as they once were (or once could have been), i.e. pearl jam, radiohead, r.e.m., are things that would not make good business sense to u2.

u2 wants to stay on the forefront... these other acts are happy sitting in the back of the room. the last thing bono wants to become is bob geldof... i.e. a social icon of whom the average person can't even name one of his songs. he needs to stay at least on the edge of relevance.
Nicely put.
Old 10-01-2007, 08:43 AM   #13
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by ahittle

But as physical CD sales slump, it is interesting to see how bands interface with their fans. I used to love holding the CDs in my hand as well, but I'm completely off it now.

Do we actually know how much this Radiohead download costs?
I agree in general with new methods (any methods) of album publication, and I am always happy when bands try to reach out to their fans in different ways. I would probably donwload the Radiohead album (and I'll probably will because I love them...and I love Pearl Jam too - Milan 2000 one of the best gigs of my life). U2 do sell their albums on iTunes (although it's not the same as seelling via official site), but all I am saying is that I do enjoy owning their cds, and yes, the way they are made is indeed a way of reaching out to us, because they know we like this.

(whoops, was that a convoluted argument? sorry!)
E.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:20 AM   #14
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:
Pretty pathetic.....

The CD will be available in stores (Uncut says early 2008).

Silly and pathetic? Hardly. Incredibly brave, innovative and smart is more like it.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:30 AM   #15
Rock n' Roll Doggie
FOB

Local Time: 08:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap

The CD will be available in stores (Uncut says early 2008).

Silly and pathetic? Hardly. Incredibly brave, innovative and smart is more like it.
So us folk who like to obtain our music the normal, reasonable and traditional way have to wait potentially 4 months to own the bloody thing, just 'cause we like to hand our money to a human being over the counter rather than sign up for a credit card and lose our hard earned in cyberspace.

It's just completely uneccessary.

More pretentious than innovative or brave...
Old 10-01-2007, 09:47 AM   #16
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 02:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by edurban

Do we actually know how much this Radiohead download costs?
Whatever you want to pay.

Truly. You get to decide how much you want to pay for it when you order it.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:49 AM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 12:46 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by Headache in a Suitcase

u2 is one of the biggest names in global entertainment. all of these things that bands that may have rabid followings but simply are not as big as they once were (or once could have been), i.e. pearl jam, radiohead, r.e.m., are things that would not make good business sense to u2.

U2 did put their entire catalogue on the internet (on a U2 Ipod no less) not that long ago. They do fan club releases too. Anyway Pearl Jam/Radiohead and U2 is like comparing apples and oranges be it releases, live shows etc.

Call me oldfashioned but I like the CD, the covers, the lyrics printed, the picture, the booklet ... but if someone wants to download instead, they're free to do so, even if it's piracy.
Old 10-01-2007, 09:51 AM   #18
Rock n' Roll Doggie
ALL ACCESS

Quote:

So us folk who like to obtain our music the normal, reasonable and traditional way have to wait potentially 4 months to own the bloody thing, just 'cause we like to hand our money to a human being over the counter rather than sign up for a credit card and lose our hard earned in cyberspace.

In a world where records leak on the Net a couple of weeks or months earlier than the record comes to the shop, I think this is the perfectly logical step.

Do you know you choose the price for the tracks?

Great article about this:
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/technol.../radiohead.htm

To me that's just brilliant.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:45 AM   #19
BVS
Blue Crack Supplier

Local Time: 04:46 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by djerdap

Hardly. Incredibly brave, innovative and smart is more like it.
How is it innovative, bands have been releasing work on the internet for a long time?

How is it brave and smart? I may agree with bold(sometimes the line between bold and stupid is thin), but I don't see how at all this is smart.
Old 10-01-2007, 10:55 AM   #20
Rock n' Roll Doggie
VIP PASS

Local Time: 09:46 PM
Quote:

the actual CDs/LPs are being made to order in the discbox and anyone who pre-orders them gets them in December and downloads it with everyone else.

It's not really pathetic, it's been four years since Radiohead put out their last record and maybe they just want everyone to hear it sooner rather than wait potentially months to sort out stuff with a new record label and promoting it etc etc.

Essentially they just want their fans to hear this new music, bypassing leaks and so on and pretty much offering it for FREE if people are that scabby...

I myself would take a physical album in the form of the LPs/CDs hands-down but there's no need to get so worked up over it...you just wait about two months as they're made to order and so on and it's a pretty snap announcement! Stop going on like you're part of a dying breed of people who see sense and are NORMAL and "traditional" as it's just going to end up sounding elitist!! [edit - haha, oh wait...i've just seen your post in the other thread...] Like it or not [i personally hate it] CD sales are dropping and a huge amount of people are downloading music instead simply for convenience's sake!

At the end of the day Radiohead's new album is coming out in TEN DAYS. We're finally getting to hear the music and if that means downloading it while we wait for boxsets to arrive two months later then I am more than happy to wait!
It's just experimenting with new methods of releasing music and since they're not on a label, who cares? I'm not saying it's smart and innovative and so on since tons of bands have done stuff like this but you know, as long as we don't have to wait til March to get our hands on it when the album's already totally done and dusted then fine...