Rejoice appreciation thread.....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
pub crawler said:

Someone did once post on Interference that Bono had said that he felt the song Gloria was "dated" and that's why the band left it off Best Of.

I dunno if that's true but my feeling is that the October album is (at least somewhat) thematically religious and I've guessed for some time that Bono feels like that was a long time ago and maybe the band was young and naive when they recorded October and yes, maybe the band members are a little embarrassed about the October album at this point in their lives. Just a theory and I'm probably way off. *shrug*

1) I've heard the thing about Bono saying Gloria was dated or even that he "hates" it now, but I've never seen a concrete quote to back this up.

2) The thing about GLoria being too religious and naive, or whatever, might make sense except for the fact that Bono was so openly religious (or whatever you want to call it) on the Elevation tour. "God is in the house." Hallelujahs and thanking the Almighty at the end of the show, for pity's sake! And if he doesn't want to sing "Oh LOrd, loosen my lips" or whatever, why not just sing "oooooohhhhh, loosen my lips" and then everyone can assume it's about a girl or whatever they want!

rant rant rant :banghead: This is just a pet peeve, as you can obviously tell...

scatteroflight said:

1) I've heard the thing about Bono saying Gloria was dated or even that he "hates" it now, but I've never seen a concrete quote to back this up.

I've never seen an actual article cited, so I'd agree, that quote could very well have been made up.

2) The thing about GLoria being too religious and naive, or whatever, might make sense except for the fact that Bono was so openly religious (or whatever you want to call it) on the Elevation tour. "God is in the house." Hallelujahs and thanking the Almighty at the end of the show, for pity's sake! And if he doesn't want to sing "Oh LOrd, loosen my lips" or whatever, why not just sing "oooooohhhhh, loosen my lips" and then everyone can assume it's about a girl or whatever they want!

Good points. I wouldn't argue with you on any of that.

I absolutely love Gloria, and I would have been incredibly stoked if they played it on the Elevation tour. That also goes for Rejoice, which is just a completely rocking song.

Back
Top Bottom