Region encoding of Australian "Vertigo" and "Sometimes" DVD singles?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MCRoxFan

Babyface
Region encoding of Australian "Vertigo" and "Sometimes" DVD singles?

Hey guys, I'm from the USA and really want to order the Australian DVD singles for "Vertigo" and "Sometimes You Can't Make It On Your Own." I'm trying to order them from importcds.com but I see this listed:

"PAL/Region 0 DVD single. Includes two videos to 'Vertigo' (HQ video) and (Jacknife Lee 10-inch version Lisbon Video) along with two DVD-A tracks, 'Vertigo' (Audio with photo gallery) and 'Are You Gonna Wait Forever?'. Universal. 2004. * Please note you will need a Multi-Region DVD player to view and listen."

If it's Region 0 then I should be able to play it on my computer just fine. However, it's saying I need a multi-region player. Can anyone clarify the region encoding of these DVD singles?

Thanks,
Jason

i copied this from a website

0 No Region Coding
1 United States of America, Canada
2 Europe, including France, Greece, Turkey, Egypt, Arabia, Japan and South Africa
3 Korea, Thailand, Vietnam, Borneo and Indonesia
4 Australia and New Zealand, Mexico, the Caribbean, and South America
5 India, Africa, Russia and former USSR countries
6 Peoples Republic of China
7 Unused
8 Airlines/Cruise Ships
9 Expansion (often used as region free)

for more info, go to hometheaterinfo.com/dvd3.htm here
looks like PAL or NTSC is what's most important for your decision

hope i could have been of some help and, goodluck, if i were you i'd get them anyway, there are ways to convert dvd's pal to ntcs and visa versa using a computer :), but won't go into that detail here

_Robbie/underscore

Well, computers play PAL format just fine, so that's not my problem. It lists Region 0 - which if it is - will play just fine in my computer. However, if it's Region 4 (Australia) then it won't play in my computer. I don't understand why if it's Region 0 I will need a multi-region DVD player. That's why there's a listing mistake in it not really being Region 0 or needing a multi-region DVD player to play it. It's either one or the other.

But thanks for your help anyway.

Last edited:
I don't think you'll need a multi-region player. Region 0, effectively, means no CSS and it should play on any DVD player.

However, it is PAL, meaning that an NTSC TV (every TV in the U.S./Canada) won't play it. Some DVD players out there, however, have built-in PAL to NTSC converters, which you'll only get form specialty outlets.

A computer monitor, however, might play PAL DVDs. I'm unsure, though. If you're a bit tech savvy, though, regions mean absolutely nothing anymore.

Melon

Back
Top Bottom