Reflections after listening to Irving Plaza for the last day or two.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

martha

Blue Crack Supplier
Orange County and all over the goddamn place
I put this in the car rotation, and I haven't listened to it for a while. Some thoughts occured to me. (Yes, that does happen now and again.)

1. That show would be so much better without the idiotic, chatty, yelling crowd. Shut up already! :rolleyes:

2. It's weird to listen to Won't Get Fooled Again and suddenly hear Edge's guitar. :ohmy: I like it!

3. I Will Follow is so good at that show because they do it straight, not like the nostalgia piece it became for the Elevation tour. As I was listening to the relatively straight-ahead version, it seemed like I Will Follow was a lifetime ago. I could almost remember what that was like when I was first listening to it. Then I imagined how very long ago it must seem to the band. And then I realized that I Will Follow is indeed an actual lifetime ago to some the younger fans! :)

Ok. That's all. Thanks for listening.

I loved the way Bono went from One to Walk On. It still gives me chills when I hear it. I also enjoyed the slower version of 11 O'clock. It took on a bit more of a sinister feel with the slower pace.

One of the finest versions of One, in my opinion. Bono changed up the melody a bit towards the middle. And yes, I remember being so excited getting a glimpse of what Walk On would sound like live.

1. At times they are very loud but I like the "you're right there" feeling that you can get from live recordings.

2. I like that cover too.

3. I liked the tour version too - it was these two that made me like I will follow in the first place. I love how they sped it up on the last tour.

plot180 said:
I loved the way Bono went from One to Walk On. It still gives me chills when I hear it. I also enjoyed the slower version of 11 O'clock. It took on a bit more of a sinister feel with the slower pace.

it's my fave 11 o'clock ever... ive heard loads and this is my all time, it gives me the chills...."this one's for you guggi!" and the call out my name bit at the end when he just shouts "you better call out" bloody brilliant.....

They play I Will Follow diferently now? How so? I don't hear a change, musically, except for lowering the keys to fit Bono's new range.

-Miggy

Miggy D said:
They play I Will Follow diferently now? How so? I don't hear a change, musically, except for lowering the keys to fit Bono's new range.

-Miggy

During the last tour, the song became a trip to the past rather than just a song they play. Bono would get all nostalgic towards the middle, changing the lyrics to evoke the past and how things were then. I like the song played just as a song.

I think they actually played it better at SNL than they have in 10+ years. Larry did all the drum fills, and Bono's voice was stronger and projected out farther than the last two tours. I am now looking forward to hearing it again.

Reggie Thee Dog said:
I think they actually played it better at SNL than they have in 10+ years. Larry did all the drum fills, and Bono's voice was stronger and projected out farther than the last two tours. I am now looking forward to hearing it again.

:yes: :yes: SNL version kicked major butt!!!! :D

EPandAmerica said:

:yes: :yes: SNL version kicked major butt!!!! :D
:yes: :up: I've not been that excited by anything I've seen on SNL since the LAST time U2 played there.
:yuck: Man!, that show sucks now. :barf:

Reggie Thee Dog said:

I completely agree - it was one of the best performances of this song. I still wish they would go back to the original lyrics. The phrasing just fits better.

One of my favourite bootlegs ever the new DVD of it is absolutly fantastic.

Back
Top Bottom