Rediscovering Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kawai17

The Fly
I've felt like I rediscovered the Pop album recently. Although I do like ATYCLB and HTDAAB, anyone else feel the new freshness of Pop again? I feel like its the rawness and unfinished edges are the kind of direction I wish the band would explore again.

If God Will Send His Angels turns out to be an amazing tune this time around!!!

POP is the sleeping giant and the rough diamond. i rediscovered POP around last fall...but hey maybe it has to do with the weakness of the last two albums? :sexywink:
nah...POP is just great. :applaud: :bow: :rockon:

I find its hit and miss with certain songs on pop.

I always found mofo and disco brill, but i've recently rediscovered god will send and especially last night on earth. But wake up dead man is something i regretably wont rediscover. The lyrics and meaning to the song are awsome but the actual music and beat fall short of good im afraid. One other tune ive rediscovered is playboy

I don't ever rediscover it since I've never un-discovered it.

Meaning it's always in heavy rotation

MrBrau1 said:
The most overrated album in the U2 catalog.

you'd never hear the band say this. Not that you're wrong, it's just funny how the perspectives on Pop differ so much on both fronts.

I personally cannot deny loving Pop, it's the album that intrigued me into loving U2.

Pop is fantastic, by far my most played U2 album.

Not too keen on If You Wear That Velvet Dress still (nor do I hate it), but I absolutely adore the rest of the album.

Im definately in the "Pop-lover" camp, Ive always loved the album but it just continues to grow on me still.

I think Pop just may now be my favourite U2 album.

Last edited:
jacobus said:
POP is the sleeping giant and the rough diamond. i rediscovered POP around last fall...but hey maybe it has to do with the weakness of the last two albums? :sexywink:
nah...POP is just great. :applaud: :bow: :rockon:

I know I'm going against this thread, but this post made me write.

I've "rediscovered" "Pop" a few times - once in 2001 and once again in 2005. I listened to it after not hearing it for a while after the release of the new U2 albums (in '00 and '04).

Upon the first listen, I really enjoyed hearing "Pop". It brought me back to 1997 (a key year in my life) and I enjoyed the album.

However, a second listening made me realize just the reverse of what was written above - namely that "Pop" is rather weak compared to the more recent releases.

So sadly, for me, "Pop" is a one time listen experience - then put away for a while. In fact, I recall this the very first time I heard the album in March '97. I enjoyed listening to the new U2. However, a second and even third listen started to put me off of "Pop". I tried to rationalize it in my mind and forced myself to enjoy "Pop" for the year, but really, it is not one of my favorite U2 releases - by far.

Fortunately, it is worth "rediscovering" every so often, even if just for a day. :yes:

Staring At The Sun...

Please...

Gone...

If God Will Send His Angels...

Amazing sogs !!!

By far the most underrated U2 album and definetely one of my favourite U2 albums!!!

I had written this album off for many years and rediscovered it when the Bomb came out.
I absolutely adore this album now (and the Bomb too). It feels like many different conversations going on at the same time. It´s like Bono´s postcards from the edge, as if he was reporting from the streets what was happening with society at the end of the century. I also think it makes sense as the final part of the 90´s trilogy. The early 90´s was U2 about the new possibilities of a new Europe and the good and evil of the new media.
Pop was the result-over saturuation of media and a consumer society that had lost god and their way.
I think that is why the album is so hard and gritty.

Mogi said:
I had written this album off for many years and rediscovered it when the Bomb came out.
I absolutely adore this album now (and the Bomb too). It feels like many different conversations going on at the same time. It´s like Bono´s postcards from the edge, as if he was reporting from the streets what was happening with society at the end of the century. I also think it makes sense as the final part of the 90´s trilogy. The early 90´s was U2 about the new possibilities of a new Europe and the good and evil of the new media.
Pop was the result-over saturuation of media and a consumer society that had lost god and their way.
I think that is why the album is so hard and gritty.

very true. well said. :wink:

The only time I enjoy POP is when I simply haven't listened to much other U2 in a while. When listening to it after The Joshua Tree, Achtung Baby, or even ATYCLB I simply cannot ignore how rough (in a bad way) this album sounds. Most of the songs, while good or even great songs by U2's standards, are just not pleasant to listen to.

inmyplace13 said:
I don't ever rediscover it since I've never un-discovered it.

Meaning it's always in heavy rotation

:up:

No one loves Pop more than me. That's a fact. If you think you love Pop more than me, speak now or forever hold your peace :wink:

PlaTheGreat said:
I love Pop more than you. :madspit:

is Pop your favourite U2 album?

Is Pop indisputably your favourite album ever, and no album ever made by anyone can even touch it?

Have you been listening to it since 1997?

Do you consider it part of your soul?

Do you have a line from Mofo engraved on the back of your iPod?

Do you listen to at least one song from Pop everyday?

Do you really, really, REALLY love Pop? :wink:

AtomicBono said:

Is Pop indisputably your favourite album ever, and no album ever made by anyone can even touch it?

there's some serious Pop lovin' goin on there. Serious.

Do you have a Pop tattoo? That's the next step.

btw does you Ipod say "looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the world."? because that'd be awesome :drool:

AtomicBono said:

Yes.

Yes.

I haven't known U2 for that long, can't blame me for that. I was heavily into hip-hop at the time.

No because U2 iPods don't leave room for engraving. ;)

Yes ma'am. It's in my car CD player right now.

I really really really love Pop.

pop saved me from giving up on U2 after the disappointment of the Joshua Tree

no lie

JT eventually grew on me, but when I first got it... :tsk:

Back
Top Bottom