Rediscovering Pop

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Sure why not. :drool:
I'm going to die in a car crash while listening to Mofo because it makes me think I'm a racecar driver.

I 'rediscovered' POP after seeing 'wake up dead man' on the Slane DVD - something about that performance just got to me for some reason, i think it was stuff going on in my life at that time. I revisited POP then, not that i ever disliked POP, just hadn't taken the time to listen to it in a very long while.

If God Will Send His Angels;

Staring At The Sun;

Wake Up Dead Man.

Love 'em. :drool:

I program my stereo to play one of these three every second song while I'm listening to Pop! :D

Kristie said:
pop saved me from giving up on U2 after the disappointment of the Joshua Tree

no lie

JT eventually grew on me, but when I first got it... :tsk:

This is probably the coolest post ever!

Anyone that reads my posts (all none of you) knows that JT is not even in the Top 5 of my favorite U2 albums (might even slip out of the Top 10). However, even I will admit that there is some great stuff on JT and that it was easily the best album I heard in 1987. Still, for someone to actually write how disappointed they were in JT is so cool to me. :up:

doctorwho said:

Anyone that reads my posts (all none of you) knows that JT is not even in the Top 5 of my favorite U2 albums (might even slip out of the Top 10). However, even I will admit that there is some great stuff on JT and that it was easily the best album I heard in 1987. Still, for someone to actually write how disappointed they were in JT is so cool to me. :up:

Wow, not even in top five? Would you care to elaborate why? Very intrigued by this opinion as it is widely considered no1 by many U2 fans.

PlaTheGreat said:
Sure why not. :drool:
I'm going to die in a car crash while listening to Mofo because it makes me think I'm a racecar driver.

Funniest thing i read here today :wink:

Achtung_Bebe said:

there's some serious Pop lovin' goin on there. Serious.

Do you have a Pop tattoo? That's the next step.

btw does you Ipod say "looking for a sound that's gonna drown out the world."? because that'd be awesome :drool:

you win the prize :rockon: (yes, it does)

I dunno if I want to get a tattoo...but if I did it would totally be something from Pop. Perhaps the album cover, right on my forehead :drool:

Originally posted by PlaTheGreat

Yes.

Yes.

I haven't known U2 for that long, can't blame me for that. I was heavily into hip-hop at the time.

No because U2 iPods don't leave room for engraving.

Yes ma'am. It's in my car CD player right now.

I really really really love Pop.

1. Good.

2. Good.

3. I was really into Nsync and Backstreet Boys at the time (around that time anyway, actually I dunno if I was even listening to much music when Pop first came out). And Pop. I was nine. Granted, it was my mom who basically forced me to listen to it at first, but as soon as I heard Discotheque, U2 was officially my favourite band. Hasn't changed since.

4. Oh, well, the U2 iPod is my other iPod :wink: (not joking, I do have two iPods...yeah, I'm a jerk :p)

5. Good

6. Me too :D

We should talk more, I don't think I've ever met someone who loves Pop as much as me! seriously.

What I discovered last week after rediscovering Pop after a month and a half off:

1) The album versions of Discotheque, DYFL and Mofo are fantastic, especially on a stereo. If your only listening on earphones you're missing out.

2) Let's toss IGWSHA, Playboy Mansion, and Wake Up Dead Man in there too.

:drool: :drool: :drool:

I think it is safe to say that POP is standing the test of time. I don't think fans wanted U2 to keep going down the Zooropa/POP path. But after ATYCLB and HTDAAB, those fears sre buried and now we can look back appreciate those albums with more clarity.

For me - Playboy Mansion has become my favorite on the album.

mobvok said:
What I discovered last week after rediscovering Pop after a month and a half off:

1) The album versions of Discotheque, DYFL and Mofo are fantastic, especially on a stereo. If your only listening on earphones you're missing out.

I dunno, I think they're brilliant on good headphones (especially with heavy bass). The end of Mofo is possibly the most extraordinary thing U2 has ever done. It's absolutely unreal, the way they're a million sounds going at once, flowing over you. And as Chizip said in another thread, If God Will Send His Angels is one of U2's best headphones songs.

But putting Pop on a good stereo system is :drool: I listened to it in my dad's new car once (2005 Mustang GT) and it was amazing. Instead of just sounding like bad production, that one part in DYFL during the bridge sounded perfect and just shook the entire car. It was SWEET. Pop sounds fanfuckingtastic on a killer stereo system. If I wanted to show off a stereo system, I'd put in Pop, fo' sho'.

Back
Top Bottom