Rediscovering BAD

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

youtwohearts

New Yorker
I take it back. BAD is a great song live and I think it should be left in the setlist. This is one of those songs which was written to be played live. I've been listening to UF lately and it is strange because it is not popular because of the album, at least I don't think it is. It is popular because of how good it is live.

Okay BAD back on set list. That's my vote. Although I still want BTBS out.

Actually I like it when he does the please to meet you....hope you guess my name. And Larry slams on the drums.

I've seen the Boston DVD many times and still no BTBS out. Oh and Pride can go too. (Although my five year old was grovin to that song in the car)

The album version of Bad is almost restrained and seems to be nothing more than a vocal work out for Bono. It's not bad (parden the pun) but it's entirely different from how the song became live. The live version of Bad became powerful and turned into a real rock song.

I hope they keep Bad in the set list. I can't imagine it gone! :)

After almost 3 years of bootlegs and still hearing and learning different live versions. In the last week, I've been listening to the live version I've known the longest - on Wide Awake In America. I had the Live Aid version on cassette for years, but then the cassette broke. :(

Thank God for mp3's & bootlegs!

Bad is so awesome... I love Bad!!!

And it better stay on the setlist or heads will roll. I also agree that BTBS and Pride need to kick the bucket.

starsgoblue said:

Well that's on the kickass LiveAid version, love. And yes that version rocks out!! Love it.

I have so many bootlegs of live music, which is usually what I listen to instead of the albums, I must have 10 versions of bad. It is on every live album I have and a few that I have on vinyl and cassette (which I don't have a player in my car for).

Oh it is also in the Rattle and Hum version of the song.

I think Bad is the greatest U2 song and the greatest SONG ever, period. I'd kinda forgotten about it until I saw Taking Lives and hearing it in a completely non-U2 or music related context made me realize just how amazing the song really is.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:
I think Bad is the greatest U2 song and the greatest SONG ever, period. I'd kinda forgotten about it until I saw Taking Lives and hearing it in a completely non-U2 or music related context made me realize just how amazing the song really is.

Exactly. When the movie opened with Edge's stirring guitar it sent shivers up my spine. Unfortunatley the rest of the movies was shite!... or at best very unpleasant.

I loved the variety of Bads we got in the last tour. There were the ones with 40 tagged on the end, others with Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses, the Notre Dame one with Cockles and Mussles, the one with "Alison". I think my fave was from Paris 2001-07-17 where Bono sings "You know what it is, you know it" during the climax of the song before the final "wide awake"s.

LivLuvAndBootlegMusic said:

funny you mention that, just saw it last weekend, it was great how it started and ended the movie. Makes you love it even more. Was the highlight of the most predictable thriller I have ever seen!! Had high hopes (probably just because of Angelina Jolie), what a dissapointment!!!

starsgoblue said:
BostonAnne...send me your email addy again. I've figured out how to send MP3's over email and I've got the LiveAid version of Bad, love!

please please please can i have that too!!!!!

that being said, I would love to see it live on the next tour but dont think it should be played so often. With all the bootlegs I have from the Elevation tour, it seems some nights the version was just a little uninspired and running through the motions. This and BTBS shouldnt be played every night, only once every few shows I feel. They both still need to be in there because their classics, but not so much. BTBS sounds great on those DVDS because of Bono's rants, but it also gets repetetive. Unless they want to change it back to the ZooTV Version, then they can play it every night :wink:

BAD is really great live. The emotion and passion in the song and in Bono singing: "I'm wide AWAKE !!!!" and "not fade away!" "oohoo oohoo"etc. It's my favourite live song, too! It gives you a special feeling...But the strangest thing is that nobody knows what the song is about!!

Really strange isn't it...?

I thought it was written about Bono's friend who had a heroin addiction. Made some sense if you read the lyrics. ???

phommel said:
BAD is really great live. The emotion and passion in the song and in Bono singing: "I'm wide AWAKE !!!!" and "not fade away!" "oohoo oohoo"etc. It's my favourite live song, too! It gives you a special feeling...But the strangest thing is that nobody knows what the song is about!!

Really strange isn't it...?

Bono has always said it was about a friend who was addicted to heroin. I would want them to leave Bad and take out BTBS. I didn't care for BTBS live on the last tour.

RademR said:

funny you mention that, just saw it last weekend, it was great how it started and ended the movie. Makes you love it even more. Was the highlight of the most predictable thriller I have ever seen!! Had high hopes (probably just because of Angelina Jolie), what a dissapointment!!!

I agree! I heard is was like "holy shit, this song is amazing! I need to go have a listen..."

Back
Top Bottom