redemption of The Fly - Page 2 - U2 Feedback

Go Back   U2 Feedback > Your Blue Room > Everything You Know Is Wrong > Everything You Know Is Wrong Archive
Click Here to Login

Old 11-27-2004, 01:45 PM   #16
Refugee

Local Time: 07:53 PM
eh,as in eh?

Old 11-27-2004, 01:48 PM   #17
Blue Crack Addict

Local Time: 09:53 AM
The Fly got home with ATYCLB, or certain parts of POP at the latest.

Old 11-27-2004, 01:50 PM   #18
War Child

Local Time: 08:53 AM
Quote:
Originally posted by U2girl
The Fly got home with ATYCLB.
*shrug* Just my interpretation. Didn't personally see the last album as anything worthy of the Fly. Or if it was, it was just the Fly hanging around the airport trying to figure out what to leave and what to take. That was the Fly in the beautiful day video, right?
Old 11-27-2004, 02:12 PM   #19
War Child

The more I think of it, the more this story might fit into a Dante's Divine Comedy Paradigm. From the inferno (AB, Zooropa) to purgatorio (Pop, ATYCLB) and now Paradisio (HTDAAB...???).

Come on, it's not any sillier than anyone else's take.
Old 11-27-2004, 04:33 PM   #20
Refugee

Its funny how a thread about lyrics got hi-jacked by bashers once more..
Old 11-27-2004, 04:54 PM   #21
Refugee

Local Time: 06:53 PM
does this mean that we shall see a return of the fly on the next tour?
Old 11-27-2004, 04:55 PM   #22
Vocal parasite

Local Time: 07:53 PM
iota, I love your theory. I don't know if I agree yet, I want to let the album sink in more (I do feel it is the rightful thematic successor to Zooropa, though), but your theory is very well organised and makes sense.

Ian McCulloch the U2 fan:
"Who buys U2 records anyway? It's just music for plumbers and bricklayers. Bono, what a slob. You'd think with all that climbing about he does, he'd look real fit and that. But he's real fat, y'know. Reminds me of a soddin' mountain goat."
"And as for Bono, he needs a colostomy bag for his mouth."

U2gigs: The most comprehensive U2 setlist database!
Gig pictures | Blog
Old 11-27-2004, 05:36 PM   #23
Rock n' Roll Doggie

Local Time: 02:53 AM
I doubt "The Fly" theme would've lasted this long. But I did like your theory on it!
Old 11-27-2004, 08:02 PM   #24
War Child

http://promontoryartists.org/looking...odismantle.htm

There's a reviewer that further expounds this theory...
Old 11-27-2004, 08:33 PM   #25
The Fly

Quote:
Originally posted by Sleep Over Jack
Its funny how a thread about lyrics got hi-jacked by bashers once more..
No it was just a flawed premise. Zooropa was full out in the desert while POP was coming home and yearning for home. Dismissing ATYCLB as simply a bunch of songs is not a genuine arguement at all. The songs have more structure to them but that doesn't say that it's still not telling a story. The Fly puts down the shades and just goes for the love and happiness and the only thing he can't leave behind is love. I mean it's a concept that only really works on AB and Zoo and after that it's just the style of the band. HTDAAB makes no coherent mention of The Fly and there are really no characters. I find the OP's relatings of the songs to the character of the fly a bit of a stretch.

The Fly is Bono and U2 and it's clear that in POP they are back from the danger zone and the rock and roll party zone and are coming more into the experienced saint mode as opposed to the naive saint mode that was pre-Achtung Baby. Wake Up Dead Man is a song about doubt but that doesn't prove the the album isn't meant as a return to their more genuine form.

I mean examine sexual songs like Wild Honey and then Mysterious Ways from AB and ATYCLB and it's pretty clear the transition that's been made. It's not about steamy sexiness anymore it's about a sweeter love without all the leather and hip wiggling.

Walk On you know it's you've got to leave it behind and walk on and leave those worldly trappings behind whereas Zooropa is all about walking into the laughing gas and the distortion.

Elevation is a joyful prayer whereas the spirtuality on AB is "I need the cup to fill it up to drink it slow can't let you go." He's only barely hanging onto his soul whereas with elevate he's basically barely hanging onto his skin and bones.

It's U2's thematic evolution we're talking about and clearly they've done a 180 from AB by the time of ATYCLB which started at POP. HTDAAB is as coherent thematically as ATYCLB. You can't bring up radical thematic contradictions within ATYCLB. It's not like on one song they're in full blown prodigal son mode and in another they're in glory to the father mode. They're pretty much in glory to the father mode the entire album.

My feelings on HTDAAB aside the premise that this and not POP/ATYCLB being the conclussion of the AB Zooropa trilogy is just plain wrong.

HTDAAB is in the same place as ATYCLB thematically.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:55 PM   #26
Refugee
Note: Troll-like

Location: The Morning After. Ranking: Troll of Interference. Interference Hotness Level: 3rd. Sex: Yes please.
Local Time: 03:53 PM
Some people read way too much into stuff.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:58 PM   #27
War Child

The fact remains that Pop was unfinished and ATYCLB was merely a collection of songs focused around the "at the crossroads" motif. This is the first properly cohesive U2 album since Zooropa. The character is conjured up in Vertigo and the rest of the album "brings him home" in a much more satifying way than either of the previous two were able.
Old 11-27-2004, 09:59 PM   #28
War Child

Quote:
Originally posted by Palace_Hero
Some people read way too much into stuff.
And others don't read much at all.

Come on, U2 began a story at Achtung and my only point is that they're still telling it. This is an album with some actual depth finally. It's only fitting to try and decode what's taking place. In a Q interview right before Pop came out, Larry admitted that there was really nothing holding the songs together. I remember feeling quite let down, but just took Pop for what it was, unconnected songs thrown together for the sake of supporting a tour. ATYCLB also only has the departure, airport, crossroads motif. These are symbols that the band chooses to represent the album.

This is the first album since zooTV in which Bono has said that every song is crucial to the whole, meaning there is something bigger being said than just the individual songs. There is a logical progression from Vertigo to Yahweh. By The Fly, I'm referring to Bono's prodigal alter-ego. And he actually goes somewhere significant through the course of this album.
Old 11-27-2004, 11:22 PM   #29
Refugee

Quote:
Dismissing ATYCLB as simply a bunch of songs is not a genuine arguement at all. The songs have more structure to them but that doesn't say that it's still not telling a story.
OK, I stoped reading after that, you clearly were not listening to the band and you're trying to make ATYCanLB better than it realy is.
U2 said that there is no theme on ATYCanLB, there's no story-telling, NOTHING; that it is just a collection of songs, that there are 11 singles (!!!LOL!!!) on the record and that now they're going to compete with Britney on pop-charts (or something like that).
HTDAAB has a theme...
source of info - U2 in various inteviews.

I agree with iota here, ATYCanLB isn't worth metioning... but if you realy want to make The Fly out of ATYCanLB:
It's The Fly lying in hospital bed with amnesia, having no idea what kind of shit the band did without him on ATYCanLB!
Old 11-27-2004, 11:37 PM   #30
The Fly

What is the deal with all of the ATYCLB bashing around here lately. In my opinion, it was their best album since The Joshua Tree, and for all the joy we have over HTDAAB after waiting so long for it, its ATYCLB part 2. And by the way, if U2 released another mess like POP back in 2000, chances are most of us, and maybe even them, would have walked away and wouldn't have been waiting on the edge of our seats for Bomb.

By the way, I realize this might not fit into this thread, and maybe I should make my point somewhere else, but the ATYCLB bashing is just FREAKIN ME OUT!