Red Hill Mining Town Video !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Headache in a Suitcase said:

yes... that is larry crying because he's just now realizing how incredibly awful the video is.

FOAD director :sad:

Agreed. You can tell, because he winces several times during the Discotheque video too.

gareth brown said:

hahaha :lol:

not going to watch this til I get the dvd but that comment has made me wonder what the hell i'm in for

youre in for a history lesson of coal miners and the u2 jt era image being driven into your brain. it leaves no questions behind regarding their wardrobe back then. so literal it hurts to watch. if anyone was ever introduced to u2 with this video they would think U2 were a poor irish version of culture club.

ahittle said:
So, was RHMT intended to be the lead-off single for JT? Because that would have been a pretty disastrous move with this video.

No, it was going to be the second single instead of ISHFWILF. I don't really think this was much worse than ISHFWILF's boring video.

I have to wonder just how much of the reaction here is a result of having a built up expectation that this would be hilariously bad. The first thing I did in watching this was I put aside everything I'd previously heard about the video. It was a bit dull, and I honestly don't see what was so hilariously bad. So releasing the birds was a bit cheesy. There are heaps of moments even more cheesy in widely popular U2 videos.

And let's be honest, this video is a masterpiece compared to some of U2's recent videos. Stuck (US version) and Elevation are just choking in RHMT's dust.

Elevation is pretty fucking bad! And so is the pointless Vertigo video with Bono showing off his chest and cool shades!

Axver said:

I have to wonder just how much of the reaction here is a result of having a built up expectation that this would be hilariously bad. The first thing I did in watching this was I put aside everything I'd previously heard about the video. It was a bit dull, and I honestly don't see what was so hilariously bad. So releasing the birds was a bit cheesy. There are heaps of moments even more cheesy in widely popular U2 videos.

Let me make one thing perfectly clear - I had no expectations of any sort before watching this video. :wink:

I don't think it's laughably bad, just kinda uninspired. Get Bono down among the chains and grime and have Larry beat on the gears.

Just seems amateurish and half-planned. There was probably a decent idea there somewhere.

And what's that intro music? Wonder if that was considered on the actual album cut.

Axver said:

No, it was going to be the second single instead of ISHFWILF. I don't really think this was much worse than ISHFWILF's boring video.

And let's be honest, this video is a masterpiece compared to some of U2's recent videos. Stuck (US version) and Elevation are just choking in RHMT's dust.

There is a certain amount of cheesiness per square inch that I allow myself to intake each day, and that video pushed me over the edge. Personally, I love it, but it's not good. Not good at all. Even the In God's Country video, though it's just a bunch of random crap strung together, isn't that cheesy. Amateurish, but not cheesy.

Zootlesque said:
Elevation is pretty fucking bad! And so is the pointless Vertigo video with Bono showing off his chest and cool shades!

Oh man, I'd forgotten about the Vertigo video. The RHMT video is far superior to that sack of crap! After all, it doesn't have daft special effects.

It's kind of a shame they didn't develop the RHMT video into more though, as I think some of the actual mining footage had the potential to be used in an interesting way and Bono does put in a strong performance.

LemonMelon said:
There is a certain amount of cheesiness per square inch that I allow myself to intake each day, and that video pushed me over the edge. Personally, I love it, but it's not good. Not good at all. Even the In God's Country video, though it's just a bunch of random crap strung together, isn't that cheesy. Amateurish, but not cheesy.

OK, now this has me baffled. What was overwhelmingly cheesy? It's mainly dull. Bono walking around singing at the camera for most of the song is dull, not cheesy. Larry hitting the wall is dull, not cheesy. The birds are a bit cheesy, but shit, there's far worse. So I'm not saying it's not cheesy, because it has its cheesy moments, but reactions like yours strike me as over-the-top. The one thought I'm left with is "that really isn't as bad as the hype made it out to be".

I was kind of disappointed. I was expecting some very awful 80's style special effects... that it'd look more like an INXS video of the time. The only really funny part was Adam with the canaries.

Axver said:

OK, now this has me baffled. What was overwhelmingly cheesy? It's mainly dull. Bono walking around singing at the camera for most of the song is dull, not cheesy. Larry hitting the wall is dull, not cheesy. The birds are a bit cheesy, but shit, there's far worse. So I'm not saying it's not cheesy, because it has its cheesy moments, but reactions like yours strike me as over-the-top. The one thought I'm left with is "that really isn't as bad as the hype made it out to be".

Come on, Bono standing in a statuesque pose whilst a cloud of canaries swirl about him isn't at least a bit cheesy? :lol: Sounds like something I'd write in a cartoon. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
Come on, Bono standing in a statuesque pose whilst a cloud of canaries swirl about him isn't at least a bit cheesy? :lol: Sounds like something I'd write in a cartoon. :wink:

Oh, come on, doesn't every U2 music video have a moment like that? :wink:

Axver said:

Oh, come on, doesn't every U2 music video have a moment like that? :wink:

Any video post-2000 does, yes. Going through the archives, I would say that New Years Day, Gloria, and I Will Follow are equally bad.

So, that's what, 30% of their videos? :lol: Clearly, the music video is not an art U2 has mastered. Off the top of my head, I'd say Stay is pretty good...not sure what else...:uhoh:

I'm the only person I know who likes the Unforgettable Fire video. I find it to be hypnotic, always have, but I acknowledge that it's not really a very good video. Eh.

LemonMelon said:

Any video post-2000 does, yes. Going through the archives, I would say that New Years Day, Gloria, and I Will Follow are equally bad.

So, that's what, 30% of their videos? :lol: Clearly, the music video is not an art U2 has mastered. Off the top of my head, I'd say Stay is pretty good...not sure what else...:uhoh:

The very concept of Streets is cheesy, but done well anyway. Sweetest Thing has plenty of cheesy moments. The less said about A Celebration, the better. Window In The Skies is a trainwreck and much worse than the RHMT video. I could go on and on. So yeah, U2 and music videos don't seem to go together well at all ...

No spoken words said:
I'm the only person I know who likes the Unforgettable Fire video. I find it to be hypnotic, always have, but I acknowledge that it's not really a very good video. Eh.

Actually, I like that one too. Some of the sucktastic fashion is a bit distracting, especially from Adam, but otherwise, I enjoy it.

So, that's what, 30% of their videos? Clearly, the music video is not an art U2 has mastered. Off the top of my head, I'd say Stay is pretty good...not sure what else...

I think Stay has some kind of cheesy moments. If that had only been released now, we'd probably be having a giggle about Bono jumping off the big Berlin statue, or the lady lip syncing to his lyrics.

LeMel, I want to see the clip you had in mind for RHMT... get to work. :wink:

LemonMelon said:
Off the top of my head, I'd say Stay is pretty good...not sure what else...:uhoh:

um... how about

Even Better Than The Real Thing
One
Mysterious Ways
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (with rock star poses that didn't look cheesy like on the Vertigo video)
Numb
Lemon
Hole Me Thrill Me
Discotheque (I liked it :shrug: )
Please
Beautiful Day

U2's had some above average videos. Stay, The Fly, Last Night on Earth, and Streets. That's about it I think.

OK, I am convinced that the New Years' Day video may be just as bad. Here's some commentary:

picture-5.jpg

Zootlesque said:

um... how about

One
Mysterious Ways
The Fly
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (with rock star poses that didn't look cheesy like on the Vertigo video)
Numb
Lemon
Hole Me Thrill Me
Please
Beautiful Day

Yeah, most of these are average, at best, to me. Not really good videos, just relatively good, perhaps, compared to other U2 videos.

I think Stay, the Fly and UF are my 3 favorites.

:lmao: at this thread....

Remember what decade this came from... it's not like they made this thing yesterday.

This is classic 80's in all it's cheesey glory.

Sicy is right... BONO is just sizzling in this video WOW!
Then there's the passion I miss so much......
I miss the good old days when he would go crazy with passion like that.
JT era rules! :rockon: :rockon:

Jeannieco said:
Then there's the passion I miss so much......
I miss the good old days when he would go crazy with passion like that.
JT era rules! :rockon: :rockon:

Totally. I was thinking the same thing while I was watching the In God's Country video. I sooo miss that era!

Zootlesque said:

um... how about

One
Mysterious Ways
The Fly
Numb
Lemon
Hole Me Thrill Me
Please
Beautiful Day

yet another reason to love 90's U2

Back
Top Bottom