Red Hill Mining Town Appreciation Thread

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ok....so I've been a U2 fan for years now, and this song never really did much for me, until the last couple of years. But even then, I just thought it was decent.

Until about 2 weeks ago...

I CAN'T STOP singing this song!!!!

Bono's melody on that is forever ensconced in my memory cells. It has quickly become one of my favorite U2 melody's....right up there with COBL, One, and Hawkmoon 269.

This melody gives me shiver and I have THE BIGGEST SMILE ON MY FACE when I'm singing the chorus in my car!!! I can't hit the chorus, so I switch to falsetto, and I STILL can't help but smile!

Sorry...I just had to get that off my chest.

I will be playing this out at my next gig, I can guarantee you that!!!!

lol it takes a lot for me to sing this song in full voice and im not very good at falsetto atm i think its because im going through puberty:hmm:

I LOVE this song....best bit for me is the part which goes "we wait all day...for night to come...and it comes, like a hunterchild"
I just love the chord progression at this part. Could be the highlight of the album:drool:

ohhhhhhhh maaaannnnn.....I just can't stop listening to this song, it's fucking unreal....I love it more and more after each listen....I just don't understand how a band can get this perfect....it's really beyond me....ABSOLUTE PERFECTION is U2.

Ok, the video is cheesy, but at least it has a certain charm. I would say that the US video for Stuck In A Momant is far more embarrassing.

I'm breaking out Red Hill Mining Town this Friday night at the Summit in New Milford, PA....9pm! I'll probably play it at The OCP in Susquehanna, PA on Saturday nite

My thoughts on why they killed the video are number one they weren't quite to the point of going for sex appeal although they got their later with Desire and number two is the Messiah shot at the end of the video. Given the reputation Bono was already getting for the whole Messianic thing the later backlash over Rattle and Hum would have been way harsher and U2 might not have recovered to even get to AB and ZooTV. Of course it would have cemented Bono and Larry's titles as gay icons as well. :wink:

Dana

Yes it was...it was reported in the January '87 of Rolling Stone that they had just finished the video and were preparing it as their lead off single to the Joshua Tree.

I wonder how that would've changed the Joshua Tree's history...:hmm:

Really? I had always heard that WOWY was the first single, but that RHMT was supposed to be the second single. It was scrapped due to the afore-mentioned vocal problems and the fact that the band did not like the video. Instead, they went with "I Still Haven't Found...".

Given that Bono sings at the top of his vocal range (without going into a falsetto) on "I Still Haven't Found..." yet U2 still rearranged the song for the tour, I still don't believe that RHMT couldn't have been incorporated into the JT or LT tours back in the day. But whatever - it remains one of those gems never played live.

I think it's a great song but I don't think it aged well enough to justify its premier live appearance 20 years after it was first released

I think the second part of the song could be wonderful live if Bono is able to do it justice
the first part is more tricky

Joshua Tree has too many mind blowing songs for it to rank near the top for me, but it is a great song. Unfortunately, ever since I saw the video a few months ago, I just can't listen to it without picturing Larry doing the percussion with his wanky little hammer, and that ridiculous scene with the canaries.

Back
Top Bottom