Recreate the 1990/2000 best of.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cobl04

45:33
I've heard that it is crap, so here's a chance. I'll tally it up and make a burnt cd that I could somehow send out. *does not realise the commitment he is making*

There are only three rules -
1. You can't put any 2001 or over material on it. Beautiful Day and SIAMYCGOO can't be on there. Let's pretend they are on the 00/10 best of.
2. The tracklisting CANNOT read -
Zoo Station
Even Better Than The Real Thing
One
Until The End Of The World
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
So Cruel
The Fly
Mysterious Ways
Tryin To Throw Your Arms Around The World
Ultra Violet (Light My Way)
Acrobat
Love Is Blindness
I'm sorry. I've gotta be strict on that.
3. You cannot rip songs off that weren't released as official single. EG - You can't use So Cruel.

just so we're clear, guys...here are the only songs we're allowed to use to sum up the 1990's.

The Fly
Mysterious Ways
One
Even Better Than the Real Thing
Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
Numb
Lemon*
Stay (Faraway So Close!)
Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
Miss Sarajevo [Passengers]
Discotheque
Staring at the Sun
Last Night on Earth
Please
If God Will Send His Angels
MOFO*
Sweetest Thing

*Promo/remix

Making a 'Best of 90-00' out of that is like trying to make a guitar out of playdough...

1.Even Better Than the Real Thing
2.Discotheque
3.Mofo
4.The Fly
5.Mysterious Ways
6.Staring at the Sun
7.Stay(faraways so close)
8.Until the End of the World
9.Please
10.Zooropa
11.Lemon
12.Gone
13.Wake up Dead Man
14.One

1//Disothéque
2//Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
3//Even Better Than The Real Thing
4//Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
5//Miss Sarajevo
6//Staring At The Sun
7//The Fly
8//Last Night On Earth
9//One
10//If God Will Send His Angels
11//Mysterious Ways
12//Please

1// Zooropa (Promo Edit)*
2// Gone
3// Hold Me, Thrill Me, Kiss Me, Kill Me
4// Mofo (Phunk Phorce Edit)*
5// Lemon (Single Edit)
6// the FLY
7// until the END of the WORLD
8// Last Night on Earth (Single)
9// Discotheque
10// MYSTERIOUS WAYS
11// Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses (Temple Bar)*
12// Staring at the Sun
13// Miss Sarajevo (Radio Edit)*
14// Please (UK Edit)*
15// One
16// Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
17// If God Will Send His Angels (Single)

* = Promo Edits/Remixes

Why can't we use singles? Bad wasn't a single :wink:

Anyways,

1. Mofo
2. Discoteque
3. Even Better than the Real Thing
4. Mysterious Ways
5. One
6. Numb
7. Lemon
8. Staring at the Sun
9. Last Night on Earth
10. Who's Gonna Ride Your Wild Horses
11. Stay
12. Please
13. Miss Sarajevo
14. The Fly

Not Having Until the End of the World or Gone is purgury...not to mention some of my personal favorites

Mysterious Ways
One
Even Better Than The Real Thing
The Fly
Until The End of the World

Stay
Lemon
Numb
Hold Me Thrill Me Kiss Me Kill Me
The Ground Beneath Her Feet

Discotheque
Please
Last Night On Earth
Staring At The Sun
one of either If God Will Send His Angels or Mofo

hidden track: Miss Sarajevo

I think the 80's "Best Of" is far, FAR worse than the 90's. R&H is way over-represented on that album. So many great songs from the 80's, including early singles, singles between albums and some popular hits ("Gloria"), weren't included. In contrast, the 90's "Best Of" really encompasses most of U2's biggest hits in the era, as well as throwing in some new stuff. Plus, I enjoyed the slightly remade versions of the songs - it sure beats chopping the songs (as was done to "Streets" on the 80's "Best Of").

In direct contrast, though, the 80's b-side collection dominates the 90's to the point of embarrassment. I cannot understand how U2 left off so many 90's era b-sides, including remakes and even originals (like "Holy Joe") and instead basically made a b-sides full or remixes. It's a shame that they wasted a brilliant opportunity. The best thing about the 80's "Best Of" was the brilliant album full of excellent b-sides. While die-hard collectors have had those songs for years, I'm sure many new fans were thrilled with this "new" material. In contrast, the 90's b-side collection was a joke.

To answer your question, I wouldn't change a thing on the 90's "Best Of" main disc. I'd completely redo the b-side disc though. And I'd change a LOT on the 80's "Best Of" main disc.

doctorwho said:
I think the 80's "Best Of" is far, FAR worse than the 90's. R&H is way over-represented on that album. So many great songs from the 80's, including early singles, singles between albums and some popular hits ("Gloria"), weren't included. In contrast, the 90's "Best Of" really encompasses most of U2's biggest hits in the era, as well as throwing in some new stuff. Plus, I enjoyed the slightly remade versions of the songs - it sure beats chopping the songs (as was done to "Streets" on the 80's "Best Of").

In direct contrast, though, the 80's b-side collection dominates the 90's to the point of embarrassment. I cannot understand how U2 left off so many 90's era b-sides, including remakes and even originals (like "Holy Joe") and instead basically made a b-sides full or remixes. It's a shame that they wasted a brilliant opportunity. The best thing about the 80's "Best Of" was the brilliant album full of excellent b-sides. While die-hard collectors have had those songs for years, I'm sure many new fans were thrilled with this "new" material. In contrast, the 90's b-side collection was a joke.

To answer your question, I wouldn't change a thing on the 90's "Best Of" main disc. I'd completely redo the b-side disc though. And I'd change a LOT on the 80's "Best Of" main disc.

I agree completely with what you said about the 80s best of. Where's Gloria, Out of Control, Two Hearts, and 40??? And also with the 80s B-sides and 90s b-sides.

But with the 90s best of tracks, I would rather have Lemon, The Single Mix of Please, The Fly (for everyone!), and Mofo over The First Time, Numb, Beautiful Day, and Stuck in a Moment... (Save the last 2 for the best of 00-10 for crying out loud!:wink:)

You did make very good points tho I think

no one else has bothered to read the rules before posting their list, so:

zoo station
even better than the real thing
discotheque
until the end of the world
who's gonna ride your wild horses
so cruel
the fly
mysterious ways
tryin to throw your arms around the world
ultraviolet (light my way)
acrobat
love is blindness

:shrug:

I defintely agree that Rattle & Hum were over represented. Desire, When Love Comes To Town, All I Want Is You. Desire was only in there cos it was U2's first number one in the UK. WLCTT i just don't like. It did need Out Of Control, and October needed to be better represented.

1.Zoo station
2.Discoteque
3.Even better than the real thing
4.One
5.Numb
6.MOFO
7.Until the end of the world
8.Lemon
9.Stay
10.Staring at the sun
11.Last night on earth
12.The Fly
13.Gone
14.Mysterious ways
15.Dirty day
16.Ultra Violet
17.Please
18.Love is Blindness
19.Miss Sarajevo*

*complete, not shortened version from real best of
As you can see, NO MIXES!!!
FUCK THE MIX, KISS THE ORIGINAL(of the species)

Back
Top Bottom