Reconstructing POP ...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jick

Refugee
I love the POP album as it is - I think there are many meanings to it. I think it should have been played more in the radio and deserved more MTV time. But I am aware many are dissatisfied with POP. Many members of this forum don't hesitate to diss POP as soon as any POP-related thread comes out. But there is a secret which they probably don't know. With the upcoming release of the Best Of 1990-2000, U2 would have already "reworked" EVERY single released for POP plus one non-single "Gone" - which totals 6 of the 12 songs or 50% of the entire album. In short U2 has left no stone unturned. And let's make that 7 of 12 when you consider how radically different U2 did "If You Wear That Velvet Dress" live and how they have admitted to feeling comfortable with the arrangement they have concocted for the live release. U2 are giving us half-truths by admitting POP was unfinished. They actually got to "finish" 7 of the 12 songs in the album, so there actually exists a finished version of POP. As for the songs that U2 left unturned, they must have been already perfect for U2. So to those POP-haters, you should give POP another chance. As soon as the Best Of 1990-2000 is released, grab a CD-R and burn the POP album in this manner. This is probably what the "finished" version of POP would have been like.

1. Discotheque (Best Of 1990-2000 new mix)
2. Do You Feel Loved
3. Mofo
4. If God Will Send His Angels (City Of Angels soundtrack version)
5. Staring At The Sun (Best Of 1990-2000 new mix)
6. Last Night On Earth (single version)
7. Gone (Best Of 1990-2000 new mix)
8. Miami
9. Playboy Mansion
10. If You Wear That Velvet Dress (live from Mexico, or studio version with the same arrangement as the Popmart versions - no crooning-spoken-word singing and no guitar solo)
11. Please (single version)
12. Wake Up Dead Man
13. Holy Joe (Garage Mix - the Japanese version had this as the closing song)

I remember reading a website ages ago about reconstucting the Joshua Tree into a double album. I think reconstructing POP is a much more worthwhile endeavor since so many people so violently hate the album.

Cheers,

J
The King Of POP

With all due respect, I think a mod should close this thread. IMHO, this forum has dragged out the POP is great/POP sucks horse and beaten it to death too often lately, mostly at the instigation of Jick, who claims to love POP but really doesn't.

*is tired of all the POP discussion*

:no:

Reworking POP might make the band feel better about the finished product but I don't think it wil ever make the people who hate it like it. It's just the kind of music it is. You can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear. No matter how much you remix 'boomcha' and 'chewing bublle gum' it's still a dumb song that I don't want to hear.

Since many fans hated it and never will like it, and so many around here love it and exalt it regularly, I think it should be left as it is. Nothing is going to make the dissers like it and the lovers of it will only be heartbroken if their masterpiece is tampered with. Leave it as it is, or was, whether that be trash or treasure to each individual.

Dont you have anything better to do than post POP threads everyday?! Are you capable of talking about anything else?

Getting tired of it. Get some new material.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom