Recommendations?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cydewaze

Refugee
I'm about to order some DVDs online, and I'm definitely going to pick up R&H and 1980-1990, but I was wondering if anyone had any additional recommendations. This seems to be the place to ask ;)

Elevation live from Boston!

I also really like the JT documentary, but that doesn't seem to be a fan favorite...

and then there's the Best Of DVD too!

Cool beans! I'll add that to my list. We have a used CD/DVD place near me where you can get a pretty good deal on stuff. Whatever I don't find there, I'll order from one of the places that advertize on this board. Gotta support the sponsors! ;)

I disagree with getting Elevation first, simply because it isn't as good as Rattle and Hum in my opinion. The constant movement of the camera and scenes in the Elevation DVD is maddening, whereas R&H is much more professional and better-looking. The R&H DVD has magnificent performances of Bullet, With or Without You, Pride and Running to Stand Still.

At the same time, the Elevation DVD is a pretty good concert in itself as far as the music goes. The fans were almost silent for much of the concert, but at least the music is good.

Rattle and Hum and Elevation Boston are definitely the required U2 DVD's.

I think you can get along fine with not owning the Best Of or the Joshua Tree thing, not too much replay value in those for the money in my opinion.

Best Of 80-90 kind of sucks, IMO, but it's good if you want some of their best 80s videos.

The newer one, Best Of 90-2000 is much better though -- it's really good, tons of stuff.

Last edited:
i think the elevation dvd is the best

although i'm all in favour of telling you to get rattle and hum as well

AchtungJedi said:
I disagree with getting Elevation first, simply because it isn't as good as Rattle and Hum in my opinion. The constant movement of the camera and scenes in the Elevation DVD is maddening, whereas R&H is much more professional and better-looking. The R&H DVD has magnificent performances of Bullet, With or Without You, Pride and Running to Stand Still.

I think he said he's already getting R&H, although I do agree that it's probably a better place to start.

Ok, now you've got me wondering about the constant movement of the camera in Elevation. I ummmm.... well, heh, I can't play games like Doom and what not because they give me motion sickness. I hope the camera movement in Elevation isn't *that* bad.

cydewaze said:
Ok, now you've got me wondering about the constant movement of the camera in Elevation. I ummmm.... well, heh, I can't play games like Doom and what not because they give me motion sickness. I hope the camera movement in Elevation isn't *that* bad.

It's not that bad. Dont worry. I've never even noticed the camera movement being anything less than normal...

It's just that the camera angle often switches every few seconds, and the only person you ever really get a steady amount of time with is Bono (there are exceptions of course, but it's generally true). in R&H, there are some great shots of all of them. One of my favorites is in Bullet the Blue Sky, when the camera is focused on Bono, and then it switches focus to Edge, and stays with him even when Bono rushes past at one point, as well as Edge and Larry as Edge is doing the guitar solo in With or Without You.

Yes, Sicy thats what I was about to say! When the fuck are they releasing those 2 amazing videos on DVD?!?!!!!!
And I agree with too much camera movement on Boston Elevation, I almost prefer some of my bootlegs to it!
I think R & H is my fav on DVD so far.......

i liked the camera movement during elevation

i didn't think it moved too much or anything

Erk, speaking of motion sickness, I just watched the video for "Even Better than the Real Thing". Oye! Talk about spinning cameras! :barf:

I think the camera editing for the Boston release was fine..maybe during some of the songs like New York especially it contains a few rapid switches but isn't too bad overall...compared to Muse's Hullabaloo DVD release which is quite literally insane in how many shots the editors felt they could squeeze into a second..actually works well during the higher tempo songs..but not one for people who suffer with motion sickness

I'll pipe up as a fan of the "Classic Albums" DVD of "The Joshua Tree." I found the studio stuff very interesting, and it had clips of performances like the amazing "Mothers of the Disappeared" in Santiago in 1997, and the full video for "The Sweetest Thing."

I'll also pipe up and admit that I got seasick the first time I saw the video for Even Better Than the Real Thing!

And as far as future DVDs go, I heard that the people who started the "Release Slane on DVD" petition turned over their petition to ... whatever company would release it. In the blurb I read, they said they were told by someone in the organization that Popmart and Zoo Sydney were being considered for DVD release. That tidbit sure perked me up, but it's hard to know how reliable those sources are.

Back
Top Bottom