Recent NME articles

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ramblin rose

Site Team
Staff member
A couple of interesting NME articles lately:

http://www.nme.com/news/razorlight/29413

'Johnny Borrell: 'Bono wiped my phone!'

Friendship with U2 star leads to mobile technical problems
11 hours ago Razorlight frontman Johnny Borrell is friends with Bono - but says the U2 frontman calling him has led to serious technical problems.

The two have shared intimate chats - but when Bono hangs up something very strange happens.

Borrell revealed: "Nobody has Bono in their contacts! Bono doesn't have a number that can stick in contacts. The last time Bono phoned me, it wiped all my saved text messages out of my phone.

He added: "It went 'ching, ching, ching, ching' like that - like a Pac-Man thing. He deleted all my text messages - it was amazing! Maybe he was using Al Gore's phone of some secret service stuff, but there was no way you could get the number to call him back because not only had the number gone but the whole call history had gone. I don't think anyone's got Bono's number."

I guess Bono doesn't want anyone calling him back.

I wonder what's going on with this next one..

http://www.nme.com/news/itunes/29366

U2's label in dispute with Apple
Universal threatens to pull songs from iTunes
02.Jul.07 12:00pm
Universal Music Group of Vivendi - the world's biggest music corporation and home to the likes of U2 and Amy Winehouse- has told Apple it would not renew its annual contract to sell music through the company, according to leaked reports.

Instead Universal said that it would market music to Apple at will, a move that could allow Universal to remove its songs from iTunes on short notice, reports New York Times.

It has been suggested that this is due to the fact that the two sides do not agree on pricing and other terms for the future.

If Universal pull they catalogue, iTunes would lose access to record labels that collectively account for one out of every three new releases sold in the United States, according to Nielsen SoundScan data.

Equally, sales of digital music through iTunes accounts for more than 15 per-cent of Universal's worldwide revenue in the first quarter of 2007.

Insiders see the move as the culmination of growing tensions between Apple founder Steve Jobs and the record industry.

In the four years since iTunes popularised the sale of music online, many in the music business have become discouraged by what they consider the be the near monopoly that Jobs has held in the digital sector, the one area of the music business that is showing significant growth.

In particular Jobs stance on song pricing and the iPod's lack of compatibility and music services other than iTunes have become points of contention.

I wonder if Apple would be able to still sell U2 ipods if this were to happen.

lmao. well do you blame him? i would be so protective of my number if i was him as well w/ all the crazies out there. hahaha. thanks for posting!

That's indeed a mysterious story here. But I guess someone MUST have Bono's number, or does he never get any calls? Poor Bono.

affect. affect is a verb, effect is the noun. :)

"wow, that affected my phone!"

"whoa, that phone call had a profound effect on my text messages!"

/grammar

can't blame bono. i would assume that there would be a special contract with apple just for the ipods? I don't really know the specifics, thought it would be interesting if something like that occured as per the consequences.

Mountain Dew Ma said:
affect. affect is a verb, effect is the noun. :)

"wow, that affected my phone!"

"whoa, that phone call had a profound effect on my text messages!"

/grammar

You're giving gramar lessons? I've read most of your posts, you shouldn't be giving grammar lessons.

But you are not completely correct.

And if you'd like me to finish your grammar lesson, I will do so:

–verb (used with object) to produce as an effect; bring about; accomplish; make happen: The new machines finally effected the transition to computerized accounting last spring.

But honestly, when it comes down to it, I don't give a SHIT™

BonoVoxSupastar said:

You're giving gramar lessons? I've read most of your posts, you shouldn't be giving grammar lessons.

But you are not completely correct.

And if you'd like me to finish your grammar lesson, I will do so:

–verb (used with object) to produce as an effect; bring about; accomplish; make happen: The new machines finally effected the transition to computerized accounting last spring.

But honestly, when it comes down to it, I don't give a SHIT™

regardless the best way to demonstrate your point would be to use the verb affect rather than the noun effect. why so hostile? did i say you were stupid? did i ever attack you?

people not knowing the difference between you're and your, they're there and their and affect and effect is a pet peeve of mine.

i'm sorry if i so deeply offended you and your wit. i've seen you come after me before, and yet when i point out a common grammatical error, you flip out.

:wave:

No flipping, I just find grammar and spelling lessons on the internet (where butchering the English language has become an artform) to be a waste of time and often out of ill will...

BonoVoxSupastar said:
No flipping, I just find grammar and spelling lessons on the internet (where butchering the English language has become an artform) to be a waste of time and often out of ill will...

it's not out of ill will. it's merely a pet peeve of mine, especially when i'm having to 'peer edit' papers in class or whatever.

again if i offended you or whatever, i apologize, but my intent was not to but have a sarcastic chuckle.

regardless i digress before this topic gets locked.

As far as the Apple thing goes............are U2 not in the quite unique position of owning their music and publishing rights etc thro Blue Mountain Music Ltd?
If so, they could strike a deal up with Apple on their own with Universal having no due jurisdiction in the matter

Steve Jobs will probably send a self-destruct message to all U2 iPods if Universal pulls its catalogue from iTunes :lol:

He just does it for Sharon Stone. :wink:

SHARON STONE nearly triggered a security scare when she left BILL CLINTON and BONO's telephone numbers behind when she moved out of her rented London apartment.

The BASIC INSTINCT star surprised Londoners when she suddenly quit her $7,200 (GBP4,000)-per-week flat following last month's (JUL05) bombings in the British capital - and cleaning staff were shocked to find the discarded celebrity numbers.

The source tells British newspaper Daily Mirror, "There were lots of handwritten notes, including some Post-Its stuck on the outside of the Yellow Pages.

"We were staggered to find these included numbers for Bill Clinton and Bono."
http://u2-blog.blogspot.com/

last unicorn said:
or does he never get any calls? Poor Bono.

you're kidding right? In this months Vanity Fair - theres a report titled "It's Bono on the line" I'm sure he just pushed the wrong button after speaking to Borrell.. yeah that's the ticket..

and Elevation Partners (we all know who's on the board there) is now behind their own Palm reinvention.
Not too much of a stretch to see a transistion coming.
Just my thoughts:wink:

ramblin rose said:

I wonder if Apple would be able to still sell U2 ipods if this were to happen.

I believe they could, as I'm assuming the deal for the iPod itself is between U2 and Apple. It doesn't come with U2's music preloaded on it, so I don't think Universal could stop it. I don't know if Apple would want to though (who knows if they'll continue the U2 iPod anyway; I'm surprised they continued it to video)

Personally I think it'd be a bad move on Universal's part to pull songs from iTunes if iTunes sales are accounting for 15% of profits...and I like Jobs' stance on pricing. I believe Universal wants to charge more for newer albums or hot singles or whatever, but Jobs wants to keep the general 99 cent song/$9.99 album deal. and iTunes Plus albums are compatible with any device I think...and even if not all you have to do is burn whatever you buy from iTunes onto a CD and then rip them as mp3's.

I hope this doesn't happen. I'm gonna be pissed if prices go up or iTunes loses a big portion of its catalouge. I am an iTunes fiend. I bought a brand new album, iTunes plus, 12 songs, for $5.99 on iTunes...what a deal!

as for bono's phone... bono is an elevated thoughtbeing . . . . . .//his existencecannotbetracedbytheunworthy

Back
Top Bottom