Rebuild It, Bigger

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Originally posted by Hawk269:
Foxxern:

Are many of Americans cocky and arrogant about our standing in the world? Yes. Is that a reason for people around this world to hate us? No.

You don't hate someone for being cocky. You can resent them, or try to beat them, or speak badly of them. But hate is too strong. You *hate* someone who kills your entire family for no reason. You hate some fundamentalist piece of human garbage for destroying thousands of lives. You hate people for teaching their children to cheer in the streets for innocent people's suffering. That is what it takes for me to *hate*. But those bastards hating us for being number one, or always trying to be the best, is not a sufficient reason. When it comes to freedom and defending basic human rights, the U.S. is the best. Let us remember that above the criticisms about our cockiness.

In my opinion this country is far from perfect, but we are a hell of a lot closer than anyone else.

AJ

It's true, and I agree with what you have said. I can't condone the incidents that have taken place here, no matter how cocky we may seem to other nations. We feel that way because, in a lot of ways, we truly do feel like we're the best. Nothing wrong with a little patriotism.

I think a lot of the problems stem from the incompetence of the governments of those countries. Rather than really trying to help their people, they often like to blame the "capitalist pigs" of the West who have "stolen" from their people. I think we become scapegoats for the problems that the leaders of many countries just don't know how to solve. And when they tell this to their people, of course the average person will believe it. And one day one of them might just believe it strongly enough to commit acts of mass destruction. That day has occured, and we know that there are probably others out there who believe just as strongly.

In many of those countries, there is truly a sense of hopelessness. And I don't want to hear things like "Well, they need to learn the value of hard work" from people who have only seen pictures of the Calcutta slums, or the Palestinian refugee camps, or the Rwandan killing fields. Not until you have seen, felt, and truly experienced these sights up close can you even begin to grasp the utter sense of chaos and dependence that these people must grapple with every day. Only then can you really see the difference between the way we live, and the way they live. Can you blame them for stooping so low? Yes you can, but it often seems difficult.

And for those of you who haven't read my topics very well, I'll say it again: rebuild the World Trade Center. Make it a beautiful beacon that the American people can be proud of, and one that can be a financial center of our nation. But don't rebuild with the intention of showing off to people who have less than us. Don't try to be cocky--if for no other reason than the fact that it's impolite. We should display our leadership and try to guide others who have made mistakes, while at the same time admitting that we are not infallible, and that we may have things to learn from other countries. Only then can we try to achieve mutual respect for one another, and take steps towards avoiding and more horrific terrorist acts.

------------------
Change is the only constant

Originally posted by Foxxern:
It's true, and I agree with what you have said. I can't condone the incidents that have taken place here, no matter how cocky we may seem to other nations. We feel that way because, in a lot of ways, we truly do feel like we're the best. Nothing wrong with a little patriotism.

I think a lot of the problems stem from the incompetence of the governments of those countries. Rather than really trying to help their people, they often like to blame the "capitalist pigs" of the West who have "stolen" from their people. I think we become scapegoats for the problems that the leaders of many countries just don't know how to solve. And when they tell this to their people, of course the average person will believe it. And one day one of them might just believe it strongly enough to commit acts of mass destruction. That day has occured, and we know that there are probably others out there who believe just as strongly.

In many of those countries, there is truly a sense of hopelessness. And I don't want to hear things like "Well, they need to learn the value of hard work" from people who have only seen pictures of the Calcutta slums, or the Palestinian refugee camps, or the Rwandan killing fields. Not until you have seen, felt, and truly experienced these sights up close can you even begin to grasp the utter sense of chaos and dependence that these people must grapple with every day. Only then can you really see the difference between the way we live, and the way they live. Can you blame them for stooping so low? Yes you can, but it often seems difficult.

And for those of you who haven't read my topics very well, I'll say it again: rebuild the World Trade Center. Make it a beautiful beacon that the American people can be proud of, and one that can be a financial center of our nation. But don't rebuild with the intention of showing off to people who have less than us. Don't try to be cocky--if for no other reason than the fact that it's impolite. We should display our leadership and try to guide others who have made mistakes, while at the same time admitting that we are not infallible, and that we may have things to learn from other countries. Only then can we try to achieve mutual respect for one another, and take steps towards avoiding and more horrific terrorist acts.

Foxx- Your last paragraph echo my sediments perfectly. -Thank You- Db9

------------------
"..it's about breaking barriers, transcending boundries and conquering great divides"-Bono 1987

---------
An open letter to Bono from myself www.arizonaautoweb.com/bono/

[This message has been edited by diamondbruno9 (edited 09-15-2001).]

Originally posted by diamondbruno9:
Foxx- Your last paragraph echo my sediments perfectly. -Thank You- Db9

Oh damn....damn, damn, damn that's tempting to say something about...
biggrin.gif

Foxxern,

I agree with what you posted. We should certainly not be cocky in our efforts to rebuild. The trademark for this nation should be prosperity through hard work and fairness, not boasting or self-aggrandizement. Thanks for the well thought out response.

AJ

Back
Top Bottom