Reasons for HTDAAB being a masterpiece!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
starsgoblue said:
I'll admit it....I bawled like a baby to COBL. There I said it.

I cry whenever I hear the chorus. U2 are simply fucking amazing.

I don't know what exactly is about them....they have this 'something', call it power or ability, to literally verbalize every thought, fear and emotion that I have ever felt and tranliterate it into words and sounds. It is quite sublime..

(summons up her best Mary Kathering Gallagher impression)

My feelings about this album can be best expressed in a monolouge from the character of Simon played by Greg Kinnear in the 1997 movie As Good As It Gets.

Simon: Alright, what I do is.. I watch people. Do you ever watch someone who doesn't know that your..watchin' 'em? An old lady on a street corner, or some kids getting on a bus to school? Well, they stand there and you look, and all of a sudden this -- flash comes over them, and you know it has nothing to do with anything external, because that hasn't changed. They just suddenly become realer and more alive. If you look at someone long enough, you can discover their humanity.

THIS is what the album has done to me! :heart:

SUPERSTAR!!!!

Yahweh - best album closer ever. For my money, it's better than Love is Blindness even. Healing, healing...the way it should be done by music. Gently picking you up from the ground, dusting the dirt of your clothes, and then lifting you even higher than you were before you fell.

Also think that this may be only the second U2 album (after AB) where the second half is even nearly as good as the first.

Last edited:
tomtom said:
Yahweh - best album closer ever. For my money, it's better than Love is Blindness even.

Also think that this may be only the second U2 album (after AB) where the second half is even nearly as good as the first.

100% agree, but would add the Joshua Tree to it.

starsgoblue said:

No need for the caveat boosterjuice. :hug: The fact that you did have an emotional response to something as beautiful as that song gives me an immense amount of respect for you.

Thanks starsgoblue. Makes feel good for getting "in touch" with my fellings.

Roland of Gilead said:
I was too stunned to cry while listening to this album the first time... until the last track Yahweh . More specifically, when Bono wails before "Take this city..". I cracked right about then, and shed a few tears. Pardon me for saying this, but I sort of felt purified as if God was in the room. This might end up being the greatest album closer ever.

AGREED! God comes in the room when this song is played.

boosterjuice said:

AGREED! God comes in the room when this song is played.

I really feel...and have always felt that this is where U2's music comes from. I don't know how else to explain the experiences I have had in the past with listening to this band, be it in concert or through my speakers. I have had so many powerful, emotional, cathartic and spirtually soul shaking reactions to them...:heart:

God is the reason why U2 is different from other bands. Without God, there would be a totally different spirit behind their songs. Even in unspiritual albums, God is there, between the lines.

You're right Starsgoblue. I've also had many spiritual soul shaking reactions to U2's music. Especially at the concerts! This album ranks very high on the spiritual chart.

Seems to me that it is because this album seems to join together all of what U2 has been and will continue to be.

Reading some of your reviews it appears that they are appealing to fans that favor the eighties U2, the nineties U2, and ATYCLB fans, in addition to what should be many new fans as well! That's a lot of different poeple to please and I think they did a wonderful job. Everything for everybody! :applaud:

boosterjuice said:

You're right Starsgoblue. I've also had many spiritual soul shaking reactions to U2's music. Especially at the concerts! This album ranks very high on the spiritual chart.

Like Bono said in the Slane DVD...."The Spirit is in the house tonight!"

I can definetly go as far to say this song is a spiritual experience for me. I can't believe I'm managing to type this...I'm shaking and have been for awhile now.

Talk about emotional....how about at the end of SYCMIOYO when Bono cries "a house doesn't make a home, don't leave me hear alone" whoa

tomtom said:
Yahweh - best album closer ever. For my money, it's better than Love is Blindness even. Healing, healing...the way it should be done by music. Gently picking you up from the ground, dusting the dirt of your clothes, and then lifting you even higher than you were before you fell.

yeah, it really is.
as dark as the themes are, I think they've accomplished Hope on this record. it's so uplifting its almost embarressing. what's even more funny is that vertigo is nothing like the rest of the album. and also this album is not "punk rock on venus"...and thank God. because I, at this point, wouldn't change a note on it.

I haven't felt this way about a u2 record since AB.

boosterjuice said:
God is the reason why U2 is different from other bands. Without God, there would be a totally different spirit behind their songs. Even in unspiritual albums, God is there, between the lines.

And the funny thing is, you can appreciate it without being religious... us athiests need spiritual music too :wink:

Nate Dogg said:
The thing I like most about this album is that it doesn't seem to seem as immediate as ATYCLB. You kind of have to listen to the tunes, not just hear them. I think I knew what songs were my favorites on ATYCLB in a couple days. This won't be the case now. For the most part, these songs are "growers". This sounds more like U2 being U2, not U2 "biting the arse of the pop charts". There's no mission statement, just meaningful, emotional music. That is what we got with Achtung Baby. Maybe not as dark as that album, but definitely in the same league.

Exactly how I feel about the album! Each song has its place and each song has its own individual strength which I felt was missing off last album! I LOVE this album.. emotions it triggers, I have never felt off ANY U2 album.

cseggleton said:
Talk about emotional....how about at the end of SYCMIOYO when Bono cries "a house doesn't make a home, don't leave me hear alone" whoa

That is one powerful line. Have 5 other brothers and sisters and for first time in years we are all in same place to celebrate mothers birthday. Perfect line.

davexl said:

And the funny thing is, you can appreciate it without being religious... us athiests need spiritual music too :wink:

Notice I said SPIRITUAL and not religious. I'm a Christian and I still find the word 'religion' to be offensive and contain a general sense of ickiness to it.

:wink:

I agree with you Starsgoblue:

I'm also a christian. Most christians don't like the word "religious". It has a negative connotation to it.

Religion is a set of rules and practices for getting to God.

Spirituality is from the heart. It is understanding that there must be a relationship with God rather than a set of rules and guidlines. It's all about love.

boosterjuice said:
Now let's look at one of the official masterpieces: JT

Strong:
Streets
Still haven't found
With or without
Bullet the blue sky
In God's country

Medium:
One tree hill
Exit
Running to stand still

Weak:
Mothers of the dissap
Trip thru your wires

Do you see what I'm getting at here?
The ratio of quality songs is very good. Comparable to JT. Some may argue but this is personal viewpoint.

What case do you have for HTDAAB being a masterpiece? [/B]
Mothers is the emotional crescendo of JT, it's not a weak song by any means, only when taken out of context as you are doing.

Listen to the live Santiago version...and I dare anyone to come back and say it's still weak.

It changed my mind after hearing it that way, with the actual mothers in the background....

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom