Real Hands That Build America mp3 now available

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Michael Griffiths said:

I somewhat agree about the operatic vocal. If it were done by Pavarratti, I think it would have sounded great. As it stands, it's a bit one dimensional. I would have LOVED to hear Bono really open up at that point, instead of the contrived operatics, as well. And I really think he could have pulled it off with an E-Storm type wail, too.
At first when I heard the opera part, I said, "what the heck?!" :ohmy: I've always been one of those who detests opera. I can't even handle Moulin Rouge because of some of the opera style singing. :scream: (my attempt at a smilie opera singer :wink: )

However, this opera bit has really grown on me and I feel it is what gives the song style and class. I love to hear Bono wail as much as anyone else, but I really think this opera bit was very clever and unique and belongs in the song. Once again, U2 spands their musical horizons. :up:

UltravioletU2 said:

At first when I heard the opera part, I said, "what the heck?!" :ohmy: I've always been one of those who detests opera. I can't even handle Moulin Rouge because of some of the opera style singing. :scream: (my attempt at a smilie opera singer :wink: )

However, this opera bit has really grown on me and I feel it is what gives the song style and class. I love to hear Bono wail as much as anyone else, but I really think this opera bit was very clever and unique and belongs in the song. Once again, U2 spands their musical horizons. :up:
You know what, I totally agree with you now that I've heard it more. Like Edge, I am a bit of a revisionist, and I'm revisioning (is that a word?) what I said earlier. It is a VERY unique and innovative operatic take, and I don't think I've heard such a take ever before, come to think of it. I actually think it is Bono's voice, under heavy distortion and technology. It's very arty, isn't it? Yeah, U2 did manage to expand their musical horizons, once again - and they've done so in, really, a very subtle manner. Genius.

By the way: I love your opera smiley!!

You know, come to think of it - does this "operatic" vocal remind you of the one they used during ZooTV just before the first encore? It's like a techno opera singer, or something. Very robotic. Very kewl.

Back
Top Bottom