Reactions to Time Article

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MBH

Acrobat
From Time:

Monday, Mar. 25, 2002
Bono's Mission

"After 20-plus years of great music, the melody that Bono has found to combat poverty
and AIDS is undeniably his greatest hit."
JAY HEIMBACH
Alexandria, Va.

Thanks for the terrific article on U2's Bono and his efforts to save Africa from financial
ruin [Music, March 4]. He's not a saint. He is a hardworking, real man, using his gifts to
inspire us in song and make a difference in the world. Some issues are so overwhelming
that most of us don't even try to fix them. Bono can't save the world by himself, but like
others who have shown the way, such as Martin Luther King Jr. and Mohandas Gandhi,
he is proving that one man can make a difference.
CAROLINE HARTMAN
Minnetonka, Minn.

Bono may be smarter, better informed and more committed than other cause-happy
celebrities, but Africa's problems are larger than his ego. After living in Africa nearly six
years, I returned to the U.S. with more questions than answers. But you don't have to live
there to know that the continent is rife with corruption and that most foreign aid does little
to enrich the life of the average African. Debt relief is a noble idea, but until Africa can rid
itself of corrupt autocrats, it will probably be just another way for those leaders to beef up
their fat Swiss bank accounts.
MOLLY LEUSCHEL
St. Albans, Vt.

In a society in which we seem to spend more time talking about what Britney Spears is (or
isn't) wearing and who in Hollywood is sleeping with whom, it is refreshing to see someone
with Bono's influence and fame doing something positive. Bravo, Bono!
DANA M. CAIN
Port Orchard, Wash.

I am a longtime U2 fan, not just because of the band's music but also because of their
politics, their message and their Christian hearts. Can Bono make a difference? Not by
himself. But the world is a better place because people like him are doing something
positive. Bono's celebrity status may get him in the door, but his brains and his sincere
heart are what keeps him at the table.
LISA RENNINGER
Bartlett, Ill.

Bono is more than a pop icon, more than a rock god, more than my idol. He's a guy who
cares about the world around him and fights to right its wrongs. And that's what makes
him so damn cool!
CHRISTINE CRESPO
Davie, Fla.

I am a 24-year-old Nigerian and have often viewed celebrities' "concern" for Africa with
annoyance. My reaction to Bono was different; I was impressed. He is right in advocating
not just debt relief but also the lowering of trade restrictions on African countries. What
Africa needs is not gifts of fish but fair access to the fishing pond.
AMANDA NGOZI ADICHIE
Mansfield, Conn.

--Can a pop star be a legitimate political activist? Some of you were skeptical to the point
of scorn. "How easy it is for a windbag celebrity, who pays no price for being wrong, to
throw his fame around and make grand pronouncements," criticized a reader from Georgia.
"The court jester may attend important meetings," wrote a Floridian, "but he is still just a
clown." Suggested a Louisianian: "If Bono wants to help the poor, he should start by selling
his expensive sunglasses and wristwatch. Mother Teresa he's not." And a Minnesotan was
downright caustic: "Can Bono save the world? Sure, when Cher cures cancer and Britney
Spears has a plan for peace in the Middle East." Ouch.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Just read some of the letters from the newest Time magazine. For the most part, the feedback from the readers was positive.

However, some people still choose to be ignorant and associate Bono with every other no-nothing star who associates themselves with good causes strictly for promotional services. How sad.

Curious to read your thoughts on this topic.

He's a prophet. Listen to him.

Right?
smile.gif

I'll be laying here in my siesta. (2:00pm)

I am still not sure about the Bono the rock star and the activist.But one thing that I admire about Bono is that somehow he has struck a great balance between the two.To me thats the hardest thing to do.Just imagine W.Bush, playing to 100 poeple just the night after a G8 summit and impressing the majority.

Its the same situation for BONO

Bono, himself, will state how ludicrous it is for him, a "rock star," to be meeting with world leaders regarding Third World Debt.

But the fact remains, our leaders were doing NOTHING about it. As demostrated by one of the TIME magazine replies above, Africa is rich in corruption - but does that mean that NOTHING should be done to help people? Do we just toss Africa aside and tell the people to fend for themselves, when they have no money, no medicine and no food? That type of thinking is asinine.

Yet both our politicians and the general public did nothing about the tragedies of Africa - UNTIL Bono started getting in people's faces. Suddenly we have politicians going there. Suddenly Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton are going there. Suddenly the Pope is talking about this. Suddenly it's getting big-time exposure. Bono used his fame to get in the door, but if that's all he had to offer, none of the above would have happened. He had to not just care - he had to present a solution and show he was sincere. This required an enormous amount of effort on Bono's part - something he did WHILE doing his normal job (recording, touring) and being a son, father and husband.

Therefore, for anyone to dismiss Bono simply because he is a rock star simply shows how idiotic they are. Take the time to learn. If you still disagree with Bono, so be it - but at least be informed before tossing off your opinions. Better yet, imagine yourself in a world with no car, no house, no parents, no medicine and little food. And when you ask for help, you are told that it's your own fault for having past leaders steal your money. Then see if you are as uncaring.

Originally posted by doctorwho:
Bono, himself, will state how ludicrous it is for him, a "rock star," to be meeting with world leaders regarding Third World Debt.

But the fact remains, our leaders were doing NOTHING about it. As demostrated by one of the TIME magazine replies above, Africa is rich in corruption - but does that mean that NOTHING should be done to help people? Do we just toss Africa aside and tell the people to fend for themselves, when they have no money, no medicine and no food? That type of thinking is asinine.

Yet both our politicians and the general public did nothing about the tragedies of Africa - UNTIL Bono started getting in people's faces. Suddenly we have politicians going there. Suddenly Jimmy Carter and Bill Clinton are going there. Suddenly the Pope is talking about this. Suddenly it's getting big-time exposure. Bono used his fame to get in the door, but if that's all he had to offer, none of the above would have happened. He had to not just care - he had to present a solution and show he was sincere. This required an enormous amount of effort on Bono's part - something he did WHILE doing his normal job (recording, touring) and being a son, father and husband.

Therefore, for anyone to dismiss Bono simply because he is a rock star simply shows how idiotic they are. Take the time to learn. If you still disagree with Bono, so be it - but at least be informed before tossing off your opinions. Better yet, imagine yourself in a world with no car, no house, no parents, no medicine and little food. And when you ask for help, you are told that it's your own fault for having past leaders steal your money. Then see if you are as uncaring.

That was beautifully and poinantly written!!!

Amen!!!

here are some negative letters: (names edited out)

"If Bono and Time want to help save the planet, they must assault the idea of celebrity itself. Bono wants it all, including the status of savior, and your magazine has succumbed to the fatal illusion that some people are far more important than others. This fixation used to be called aristocracy. Maybe the best word for it is media-ocracy -- the ascendancy of the media-touted mediocre." ---Coleraine, Northern
Ireland

"Bono should save himself from himself, dedicate his energies to musical endeavors and drop irksome activisim." ---Las Lomas, Puerto Rico

"If Bono were genuinely intelligent, he would know that the global leaders he met are more the cause than the cure of the world's economic problems. If world
leaders truly intended to solve the planet's economic and social ills, they wouldn't need Bono to point out where the problems are." --Cyprus, Nicosia

"How easy it is for a windbag celebrity, who pays no price for being wrong, to throw his fame around and make grand pronouncements." ---Georgia, USA

"The court jester may attend important meetings but he still is the clown." --Florida, USA

"If Bono wants to help the poor, he should start by selling his expensive wristwatch and sunglasses. Mother Teresa he's not." --Lousiana, USA

"Can Bono save the world? Sure, when Cher cures cancer and Britney has a plan for peace in the Middle East." --Minnesota, USA

[This message has been edited by zonelistener (edited 03-29-2002).]

Originally posted by zonelistener:
here are some negative letters: (names edited out)

"If Bono and Time want to help save the planet, they must assault the idea of celebrity itself. Bono wants it all, including the status of savior, and your magazine has succumbed to the fatal illusion that some people are far more important than others. This fixation used to be called aristocracy. Maybe the best word for it is media-ocracy -- the ascendancy of the media-touted mediocre." ---Coleraine, Northern
Ireland

"Bono should save himself from himself, dedicate his energies to musical endeavors and drop irksome activisim." ---Las Lomas, Puerto Rico

"If Bono were genuinely intelligent, he would know that the global leaders he met are more the cause than the cure of the world's economic problems. If world
leaders truly intended to solve the planet's economic and social ills, they wouldn't need Bono to point out where the problems are." --Cyprus, Nicosia

"How easy it is for a windbag celebrity, who pays no price for being wrong, to throw his fame around and make grand pronouncements." ---Georgia, USA

"The court jester may attend important meetings but he still is the clown." --Florida, USA

"If Bono wants to help the poor, he should start by selling his expensive wristwatch and sunglasses. Mother Teresa he's not." --Lousiana, USA

"Can Bono save the world? Sure, when Cher cures cancer and Britney has a plan for peace in the Middle East." --Minnesota, USA

[This message has been edited by zonelistener (edited 03-29-2002).]

Thanks for posting these negative letters separately. Hopefully it will accentuate the ignorant, misinformed and biased people that live among us. I also hope it will breath some life into a forum that I should've re-named, "Letters about Bono's Activism".

-MBH

[This message has been edited by MBH (edited 03-29-2002).]

Originally posted by doctorwho:

I will state how ludicrous it is that you post here as much as you do

that is not very Zen

------------------
im a man of few words, no questions cos i know what youre all thinking

i personally didn't like the cover of time issue.
i thought it was taken out of context and looked silly.
great article though.

this one really bothers me. bono isn't trying to save the world. and putting cher and britney up there pisses me off. i'm not saying bono's better than either of them but bono has been doing charity work since he's been famous. how many other stars went to africa in the 80's? everyone else did live aid and called it a day. cher and britney haven't done any charity work, unless it would be good publicity. i know the person was just making a comparison but i mean, come on. does everyone who gives a damn about the poor, refugees, etc. have to give their entire life to the cause?

Back
Top Bottom