Reactions To Bono - I Don't Understand.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ravenette

The Fly
I seriously cannot understand those who attack Bono's efforts in relation to third world debt, and spew out such a negative attitude towards what is essentially a very good and positive act.

Bugger the fact that he's a rock star and not a politician. WHO CARES! What he is doing is for the GREATER GOOD and I don't get how anyone could possibly have a problem with this, no matter how he goes about it.

How could any means to a good end be wrong?

I would like to see what others have to say.

If you have a "nagative" point of view, please enlighten me why this is the case, since it clearly doesn't register with me!

I totally agree with you. You shoukd go on the Coldplay Site! While some support Bono's efforfs, a lot of the posts made fun of him and said he had no right to "preach" when he drives around in limo's and they spend millions of dollars on huge lemon's. I went off on that post!!! I kindly corrected his inaccurate statements. I told them just b/c he is well known does not make his efforts any less sincere. I argued and then finally had to walk away from the computer. I think people gripe about him b/c they feel guilty for not doing their part.

ravenette said:
I seriously cannot understand those who attack Bono's efforts in relation to third world debt, and spew out such a negative attitude towards what is essentially a very good and positive act.

Bugger the fact that he's a rock star and not a politician. WHO CARES! What he is doing is for the GREATER GOOD and I don't get how anyone could possibly have a problem with this, no matter how he goes about it.

If you have a "nagative" point of view, please enlighten me why this is the case, since it clearly doesn't register with me!

I totally agree with you on this one, I never really understood the bashing not only he got for his efforts but the whole band did. It seems it started to be "in" to trash these guys starting way back to the late '80's. I hope someone can justify all of this slamming.

They mock Bono for several reasons:
  1. They have never heard of Bono but are joining in the mocking for fun;
  2. They heard of Bono, but not about DATA, but are joining in the mocking for fun;
  3. They heard of Bono and DATA, but don't really understand it are are mocking for fun;
  4. They understand what he's doing, but don't feel that a "rock star" is qualified to discuss this work;
  5. It's cool to mock famous people (unless, of course, you like them);
  6. It's a Coldplay site, so naturally they want to attack other artists (much like what is done here) since another artist is viewed as "competition" (as if the marketplace can't expand to handle both);
  7. They feel guilt from not doing anything;
  8. They truly don't believe in Bono's work.
While all of these reasons are valid to a very minor extent, they all quickly fall apart upon examination. That is, either people are ignorant, poorly informed, rude or just selfish - to mock DATA or Bono's work is like condemning Mother Theresa. Maybe she wasn't rich like Bono, but he's using his fame to get the nations of the world to listen (not sure Mother Theresa could've done that). Furthermore, because of Bono's fame and connections, tons of other famous people are getting involved. The most noticeable are Brad Pitt, Chris Tucker and Angelina Jolie. Good - the more big names we get involved in DATA the better! I can only hope Chris Martin joins soon (and it's possible, as Pitt and Paltrow have good relations and Paltrow is married to Martin). This might then get the fans of Coldplay involved (and I think Coldplay is already starting on this path).

I LOATHE the argument that says he's a hypocrite for campaigning for the world's poor because he's rich. Show me where it's written where only the poor can try and help the poor?

One of the biggest knocks against Bono is that he only pursues his causes as a publicity stunt for U2's albums. If anyone actually says this to your face, feel free to kick them in the shin.

PopFly said:
One of the biggest knocks against Bono is that he only pursues his causes as a publicity stunt for U2's albums. If anyone actually says this to your face, feel free to kick them in the shin.

:lol: :up:

To people who say that: If he only does it as a publicity stunt for the band, why is he working so tirelessly for the cause even when U2 doesn't have an album coming out?

daygloeyes2 said:

:lol: :up:

To people who say that: If he only does it as a publicity stunt for the band, why is he working so tirelessly for the cause even when U2 doesn't have an album coming out?

Yeah, not to mention the fact that in some ways it's bad publicity, since many people accuse him of being a "hypocrite." A hypocrite how? It's not like he's just sitting there in his limo going "Yeah, AIDS is bad, you all should give money to Africa." He is tirelessly campaigning and meeting with politicians and I'm assuming spending some of his own cash. Not to mention the fact that he never asks ANYONE except the politicians for money - to the general public, he's just trying to get awareness out. HOW IS THAT BAD?? Bono has a voice that people will listen to, so he's using it for the greatest possible cause, how could you criticize him for that?

I think Bono is a good man, that is only trying to help the best way he knows how. I applaude him for all that he has done!!!:bow: :up:

I don't understand how people can seriously criticize someone for caring enough about what happens to other people to actually do something about it. And I have NEVER gotten the impression from anything that Bono has said or done that he is less than 100% sincere about this either.

Disclaimer: I don't necessarily agree with all this, but I understand why people get annoyed with him. I know there's a comeback for each point I made, but you don't have to bother explaining to me, cos I'm just telling you what other people might think. :D

He doesn't have a college degree, yet he does photo-ops with world leaders while wearing wraparound sunglasses. It's doubtable that world leaders would really change their agenda based on a meeting with a rock star, so it comes off as a publicity stunt for both sides. Add this to the fact that he is asking for tax money (which is basically our money) when he doesn't pay taxes. And there's no evidence as to how much he personally gives, so it could be nothing at all. Also, his comments that they are the biggest/best in the world come off as pretentious to some people.

People that make those kind of critics are useless people, that really don't give a damn about the others, selfish people, and bad-intentioned... I'm sorry for them

I applaude too Bono (not for being a U2 member) for his actions through these years...

hey there im pretty new around here but have hovered around for quite a while...thought i would chip in a word or two here...i frequently argue with my friends about Bono...they all hate him for very silly reasons you ask them to back up why they say hes 'arrogant' and they really can't give any answers.....

i know no one knows how much Bono donates to charity but i reckon its quite a lot...if Bono went about saying how much he does, people would still attack him for it, they would accuse him of rubbing it in their faces or just showing off...its a no win situation that way for him. I don't think really that you can ever doubt his dedication to Africa hes been working for it at least 20 years now....its not like hes jumped on the bandwagon in the last year or so for publicity's sake, its been a pretty continuous effort over the years...plus if people ever read his interviews etc he knows what he is talking about, but most think he just uses the 'drop the debt'line over and over...most politicians are surprised by how well versed he is in politics and the issues surrounding Africa...Bono is definitely a very intelligent guy and well a genius with 3 others in U2:wink:

just a few of my thoughts on it but my mates never let me explain myself they just cut me off all of them with the 'he's a twat'...i really do feel like hurting some of them:mad:

I was on another message board today where people were tearing apart Brad Pitt for being involved in the One campaign, using the very same criticisms people have been leveling at Bono. So it's not just Bono, but ANYONE who happens to be rich and famous who actually tries to do something good. Maybe they think that just because some celebrities are shallow, selfish airheads, all celebrities must be like that. Or maybe they are so eaten up with envy of people who are rich and famous that they can't see anything good in them. Or maybe they are just bitter, bitter people.

And those folks on the Coldplay board who are criticizing Bono are total hypocrites. I don't follow Coldplay closely, but I do know Chris Martin is very involved in issues like fair trade and I believe he greatly admires Bono's work - and Chris Martin isn't exactly a poor man himself these days.

Last edited:
I can totally understand why people get annoyed with bono. Personally myself I think Bono does alot of good but he doesn't present the full facts. He talks about countries giving more money in aid (which I support) but neglects to mention that it is our money we will be giving away. Fairtrade (making trade faie really is the key to this campaign i think) etc will affect the poor of the developed world more than someone like bono. There will be price rises on items like coffee etc but bono is so rich that he won't be materially effected. Someone may respond to this and say something like tax the corporations or the rich but the money will still be lost from the economy (what do you think rich people do with their money...they spend it!) and he loss will filter down to the poorer people. I would like to see bono adopt a more honest approach and explain that we are all going to be slightly worse off. i would respect him more if he did this.

ravenette said:

Some people just need something to p!$$ and moan about and they'll attack the most prominent figure they can to get the attention they crave b'c they can't get it by their own merit. Sad little shell of a person who resorts to this.

I agree...and

The bottom line is....Bono has spent countless hours of his time, away from his family. Not to mention, the money he has spent.....to make this so. Which, makes him a hero, at least from my retrospect.

There's a bunch of reasons.

a) History - celebrities forever have had their causes, none of which have ever, ever amounted to anything. Everyone is sick of it.

b) Reputation - Bono has always been seen as a 'campaigner'. From the white flag in the 80's to the white wristbands in the 00's. People are over it. "Africa? So? He's always on about something."

c) Education - Just tell people not to worry, Bono is by no means the brains of this or the deal maker. It's mostly a very dry subject, economics etc. There's no way this subject would get any public attention if it didn't have a celebrity figurehead. Bono is simply the PR guy, the attention getter. That's the way it works. I think a lot of people dismiss it because it's seen as a Bono-thing, and therefore can't be that meaningful/intelligent. Of course we all read the full interviews and everything and know he is well educated on the issue, but for those who only know the 30 second grabs on the nightly news it will only come across as another celebrity cause with a few of Bono's well rehearsed smart arse sound grabs. The realisation that some of the worlds smartest economic and political thinkers are on board isn't that well known.

#1bonofan said:
I think people gripe about him b/c they feel guilty for not doing their part.

while we can't categorize everyone like that, i do agree that this feeling does spawn some people to not like bono

#1bonofan said:
I totally agree with you. You shoukd go on the Coldplay Site! While some support Bono's efforfs, a lot of the posts made fun of him and said he had no right to "preach" when he drives around in limo's and they spend millions of dollars on huge lemon's. I went off on that post!!! I kindly corrected his inaccurate statements. I told them just b/c he is well known does not make his efforts any less sincere. I argued and then finally had to walk away from the computer. I think people gripe about him b/c they feel guilty for not doing their part.

Well maybe you didn´t notice all the U2 fans who went to the Coldplay.com forum and talked shit about Coldplay. Users with names like - U2fan - spammed the forum with pathetic remarks so i can understand if some of the Coldplay fans over there feel like taking a stab at Bono.

It really dosn´t matter what anybody else thinks about Bono. What matters is our own opinion.

doctorwho said:
[*]They feel guilt from not doing anything;[*]

Although I can't say for sure, I think this is a pretty legitimate argument.
I've been involved with Amnesty International for quite a while now, and even though alot of my friends think what I'm doing is great, there are always a few who are skeptical of any sort of charity work. I don't know why. :shrug:

I do think that these are probably the same people who think being good at anything (school, sport, music, etc.) is 'uncool.'

I don't think its uncool to try and help people. Even if what you personally are doing probably doesn't make a huge difference, at least you can say you tried.

:applaud: Yay Bono for trying.

#1bonofan said:

Ahem, make trade fair ring a bell to those people? Chris Martin isn't exactly a poor man either...

I pretty much agree with all that has been said here...people never have anything to back up their statements on Bono though for example just yesterday a girl said 'he thinks everyone should worship him'....i went 'how so?' she didn't have an answer...its just annoying.

Ok nobody knows how much Bono gives to charity himself? I think it would be safe to assume it would be quite a lot...he just doesn't publicise it, as i said earlier if he did people would still think he's a prat:madspit: for example there was the money raised from the Sweetest Thing single which he gave to his wife for her charity...even though we don't know his personal donations as im repeating again its likely to be substantial

a guy who has orphans from the Eastern Europe stay in his own home for a few months, can hardly be an ass (well i suppose technically you could be a kind hearted ass :wink:)

people would rather have Bono as very rich crack addict, getting smashed every night while having multiple affairs with models etc they understand that better than someone wanting to do a bit of good..i despair:tsk:

Last edited:
There is still way more people out there who are praising Bono then bashing him. He's one of the most admired and respected public figures in the world.

There will always be people who bash famous people who are trying to use their celebrity for good. The only way to not be criticized is to do or say nothing. As soon as you talk about serious issues, about politics, people will try to put you down. It's always been like that.

I also think that most people who bash Bono know nothing about him. I've met a LOT of people who told me that they used to think he was a prick, but when they heard him speak for more than a minute they changed their mind about him and realized he was doing this for the right reasons.

And yes, people who say he's rich and should give his money away are full of shit. The fact is that Bono, as well the rest of the band, have always said they want to keep whatever money they are giving away to charity a private matter. So basically, no one knows how much money they are giving and to whom, so no one can comment about it. As other people here have said, if Bono went around bragging about giving that amount of money to whatever charity, people would say he's trying to attract publicity to himself.

What I really don't understand is how many famous people out there are doing absolutely nothing. I think if you are given a microphone and a podium, if people will listen to you just because you're a 'celebrity', you should do something constructive with that privilege.

LJT said:
I pretty much agree with all that has been said here...people never have anything to back up their statements on Bono though for example just yesterday a girl said 'he thinks everyone should worship him'....i went 'how so?' she didn't have an answer...its just annoying.

Ok nobody knows how much Bono gives to charity himself? I think it would be safe to assume it would be quite a lot...he just doesn't publicise it, as i said earlier if he did people would still think he's a prat:madspit: for example there was the money raised from the Sweetest Thing single which he gave to his wife for her charity...even though we don't know his personal donations as im repeating again its likely to be substantial

a guy who has orphans from the Eastern Europe stay in his own home for a few months, can hardly be an ass (well i suppose technically you could be a kind hearted ass :wink:)

people would rather have Bono as very rich crack addict, getting smashed every night while having multiple affairs with models etc they understand that better than someone wanting to do a bit of good..i despair:tsk:

Well said:wink: ( Does high five, dancing movement)

The thing is people always have and always will dislike people who are not in the least bit apathetic to the rest of the world i.e. Bono and Geldof respectively, you just have to let the ignoranc continue without it halting the efforts that we all can make

oceane said:
What I really don't understand is how many famous people out there are doing absolutely nothing. I think if you are given a microphone and a podium, if people will listen to you just because you're a 'celebrity', you should do something constructive with that privilege.

That reminds me of the thing that really confuses me when it comes to this kind of issue. People yell at celebrities when they don't get involved in charity work, because they have all this money and power, and therefore should be using it to help those less fortunate.

And yet, when celebrities do just that...they get yelled at for that. They are told that they should just go back to their day jobs, that they don't know what they're talking about, that they need to shut up, stuff like that.

Yeah. Way to be consistent, general public :huh:. Do you want celebrities to help out or not?

Angela

ZeroDude said:

Well said:wink: ( Does high five, dancing movement)

The thing is people always have and always will dislike people who are not in the least bit apathetic to the rest of the world i.e. Bono and Geldof respectively, you just have to let the ignoranc continue without it halting the efforts that we all can make

*high fives* yo bro....(somersaults):wink:

I can think of a few things why. Because Bono is a very rich guy who asks regular people to make a contribution (in some form). To which most people would say: 'fine, use your own money.' Especially after charging people a shitload of money for a U2 ticket. Cause ticket prices have gone up scandalously and somebody should be shot, hanged and then quartered for that.
Also because Bono campaigns for Africa. And almost everybody has basically given up on Africa after the continuous civil wars, droughts, famines, AIDS (including babies and children being raped because folklore believes it will cure one of AIDS if one fucks a virgin), the endless corruption that soaks up all aid, and the Robert Mugabe's who somehow always seem to end up in power, who bitch and moan about colonial times and slavery while they meanwhile stripmine their own countries to fatten their Swiss bank accounts. Even I have almost given up on the continent. I wish Bono all the luck, wish for the best but deep down I still expect the worst. Bono is the champion of lost causes and that does get on peoples nerves at times. Not mine though. If Bono believes in Africa he should fight for it, even if I and most people no longer do. Especially then.
Cause there's always the chance he might succeed.

Back
Top Bottom