Reactions from non-fans?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkeeK

The Original, Rock n' Roll Doggie, VIP PASS
has anyone played the album for non-fans yet to see what they say?

all i can offer is that there's some interesting but largely moronic discussion going on at the atease boards (radiohead fansite) most of the people there are complete assholes, but there's also some who are actually *legitimately* less pleased with it than most of us.

This reminds me of why I left ateaseweb ages ago. That one guy who says he knows the album will suck even though he hasn't heard it sadly symbolizes what seems to be the majority of Radiohead fans, elitist assholes. I like Radiohead but most of their fans seem this way.

I've had the same unfortunately. I love Radiohead but they tend to attract a certain sort of fan who can't see past their music to listen to anything else subjectively.

I dont really care what they have to say. Funny thing is that Radiohead has sold a real image to their fanbase of being some sort of rebels when really all they are doing is what many bands have done in the past as far as an image goes, most notibly pink floyd.

Radiohead pretty much uses U2's 1980's blueprint on how to be a serious band in a corporate mainstream rock world while keeping your artistic image.

david said:
Radiohead pretty much uses U2's 1980's blueprint on how to be a serious band in a corporate mainstream rock world while keeping your artistic image.

Totally agree, look at the transition that Radiohead went through, it's the footprint of U2's career. Going from rock roots into electronica influences and innovation. Radiohead are in a very innovative place, somewhere U2 were under 10 years ago.

So I can't imagine Radiohead fans liking the new record due to it's lack of innovation. Don't get me wrong, I think it's a wonderful record. But there's nothing there for Radiohead fans to get excited about. To each their own I say, you can't expect everyone to like it.

It would do the uninformed Radiohead fan some good to listen to Unforgettable Fire, Achtung Baby, Zooropa and even the passengers album and then go read some Radiohead articles where the band members actually cite U2 as inspiration.

I think I may have to get some non-fans to listen for study purposes... I tried pimping some songs to my friend who I thought wasn't a fan, but it turns out she was all along.. who knew?

My brother (a non u2 fan but knows most of the words to nearly all their songs because his room is next to mine and apparently he has learnt them all because he's heard them so much): Is that that new U2 album? :hmm: Not bad.

My Dad (a sort of fan - he likes AB and JT): "Helloooo hellooo, here, Laura, hello helloooo, HOLA!!!!"

My sister: Dad, shut up!

Dad: That new stuff is catchy I have to admit. It's probably because I'm being fed a diet of new u2 because of your sister though.

So, I think my non-u2 family kind of like the new stuff. :up:

Last edited:
Well, since I am at work and my employees (2 in our office) are being subjected to the album BLASTING out of my room. City of Blinding Lights is when they both decided to come on in and check it out. They thought it was new U2 and then knew it was when COBL came on. They loved it. I think I'll buy them both a copy.

Cutters10C said:
This reminds me of why I left ateaseweb ages ago. That one guy who says he knows the album will suck even though he hasn't heard it sadly symbolizes what seems to be the majority of Radiohead fans, elitist assholes. I like Radiohead but most of their fans seem this way.

That can't be a coincidence. One of my best friends is a Radiohead nut, and he thought the album was boring.

However, another one thought it was amazing and she asked what the other albums were and if she could lend them. I might have helped her become a fan
:eek:

I have a friend who is a radiohead fan and he thinks u2 are "crap" because he hates that "with or without you song and that beautiful day song where they are at the airport"

apparently he didn't know u2 released other albums between atyclb and jt.

really. :der:

That's funny you read them that way. Discounting the juvenile assholes there that are gonna say it sucks without even hearing it, I thought it was surprisingly well received by those who did take the time to hear it, especially since most of them slagged off Vertigo! :grumpy:

I looked at murmurs.com (REM) and greasylake.org (Springsteen), most people there are waiting til it comes out legitimately to listen to it.

Last edited:
The best thing with RadioHead fans is to log onto a fan site with a name which sounds American Provincial(BigTomAndTheMontanans) and post messages like

"Woozza!! That Creep is a Great Song!!"

Only admit to knowing Creep, though. That will turn the palid pin headed cobble-stone-dawdling elitist creeps against you, even as you praise their band for their most popular song.

It's a sore point with the fans, Radiohead having such American airplay back in the day. I think it drove Thom Yorke slightly mad.

I've made 4 copies for 4 friends and they all got fascinated about the album, they love "Vertigo" (of course, the single hehe) and "All because of you".

www.todoU2.tk

as an avid poster there, it's probably my duty to remind you that detuned radio is not who you think he is. don't get too worked up about it. :wink:

my housemate thinks vertigo is a shitty song and hates the yaeh yeah yeah yeah yeah yeah at the end. hasn't heard the rest. he's not a huge u2 fan but he does appreciate many of their more poopoolar songs

Im not burning it for anybody if they want the album they can buy it or be cheep and burn it themselves.

Yahweh said:
Im not burning it for anybody if they want the album they can buy it or be cheep and burn it themselves.

Well said, I know this sounds naive but I don't think any casual U2 fans should be able to get a pirated copy cos there just after a free ride.

My wife really enjoys the new material. She likes U2 but I wouldn't go as far as calling her a fan. . .yet. Then again, I subject her to non-stop play and ask for her feedback.

She really likes Yahweh and A Man and a Woman.

As for Radiohead, I love them, not as much as U2 but enough that I have their Kid A symbol etched onto my spine.

Regardless of other's insights, true music fans can enjoy and appreciate each other's music as well as each other's opinions. For anyone to say that another fan base are a bunch of assholes because of their opinions (what they write online). . .well, the person making the negative statement probably needs to grow up a little and as far as the other fans with the shitty attitudes, I think it is safe to safe that they are not very well educated.

I just let my girlfriend hear Miracle Drug.
She burst in tears.......
And cause that, i did that to.....

She wants t hear the rest of the album, normally she's into pop and rap..

This album will make sooooo many new u2 fans.... mark my words

I think someday Radiohead will realise that they have to come back to earth and release an album that will sell big again. They still are a great band but they havent reached the heights of OK Computer since.

Radioheads biggest problem is they want to be an "underground" band when they really arent. Once you become popular on places like MTV and VH1 there is no going back.

Great band Radiohead is for sure but in the end their weakness as with many other bands is that they play music in one tone and one colour all the time.

U2 on the other hand have experimented with all the different colours of the rainbow and yes some people will never understand that because they are expecting things to sound a certain way.

Yahweh said:
Radioheads biggest problem is they want to be an "underground" band when they really arent. Once you become popular on places like MTV and VH1 there is no going back.

Great band Radiohead is for sure but in the end their weakness as with many other bands is that they play music in one tone and one colour all the time.

U2 on the other hand have experimented with all the different colours of the rainbow and yes some people will never understand that because they are expecting things to sound a certain way.

Ahhhhh beautifully put. Radioheads music is a bit on the downer side, especially with their last album. Damn I felt like hanging myself after hearing that one, still a good record but music needs to be uplifting as well, and not always depressing and that is where Radiohead seem to have stuck since 1997.

I think there was a funny quote that Bono had recently. I thought it was maybe in Blender or something. But it was a little barb at radiohead. The reporter asked what they thought about being such huge inspirations to bands like radiohead, coldplay, (and a another i can't remember)? Bono said - "Well at least Coldplay admit it" I thought that was awesome. So many bands are obviously heavily influenced by U2, but a band like radiohead seem to distance themselves because they're just "too cool".

I love the Bends, and Ok Computer is strong, but since then it's been way downhill.

to each his own.

Back
Top Bottom