Rattle & Hum without the live tracks

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JOFO

Rock n' Roll Doggie Band-aid
1. Van Diman's Land
2. Desire
3. Hawkmoon 269
4. Silver and Gold
5. Angel of Harlem
6. Love Rescue Me
7. When Love Comes To Town
8. Heartland
9. God Part II
10. All I Want Is You

hmmm.....not bad.....would it have done well like this?:scratch:

I've always wondered how the album would've done without the movie. I love it, it's my favorite album, and a lot of my favorite bootlegs are from the LoveTown tour.

Nah, it needs the live tracks. Bullet (along with Heartland) really made it if you ask me.

I sometimes wonder how it would do with one or two songs added and no live songs.

Then again, versions of Pride and I still haven't found what I'm looking for alone are great.

:shrug:

You could add Hallelujah Here She Comes and A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel to round it out. I think I might actually burn a 2CD alternate version of R&H, one with the new studio songs and one with live songs from the CD and DVD.

Silver and Gold 'was' live on RAH so does that count? - it was also a Joshua Tree b-side so that should rule it out.

But I agree with greenlight7-11, Hallelujah Here She Comes and A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel would make great additions.

I think it would have done fine if they released Heartland as the first single for it, then Desire, then All I Want is You.

seems more like a collection of songs then an album to me

at least with the live songs it sort of has the theme of "the journey" U2 and their music was on

JOFO said:
1. Van Diman's Land
2. Desire
3. Hawkmoon 269
4. Silver and Gold
5. Angel of Harlem
6. Love Rescue Me
7. When Love Comes To Town
8. Heartland
9. God Part II
10. All I Want Is You

hmmm.....not bad.....would it have done well like this?:scratch:

I think it would have done fine. That order looks like a good tracklisting too, except I would flip-flop Van Dieman's Land and Desire to make Desire the opening track.

But I'd still miss the gospel version of ISHFWILF and the live version of Bullet. :|

greenlight7-11 said:
You could add Hallelujah Here She Comes and A Room At The Heartbreak Hotel to round it out.

:hmm:...good idea.

I do like the live versions of "I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For" and "Bullet The Blue Sky", though. I love the performance that went with the latter-every time I hear that version on the CD, it makes me think of that whole thing with the spotlight from the movie, which is just incredibly cool. Not to mention, Edge plays a mean guitar on that version.

Originally posted by martha
I'd like to see the movie version of SBS included. That thing blisters the paint from my walls every time I play it.

:yes: :heart:.

Angela

I think I'm actually gonna bur na copy of this CD, just to see what it sounds like.

Although, I would take off Silver and Gold, replace it with Halleluja and change up the track order a bit...

1. Desire
2. Van Dieman's Land
3. Hawkmoon 269
4. Angel of Harlem
5. Love Rescue Me
6. Heartland
7. God Part II
8. When Love Comes To Town
9. Hallelujah, Here She Comes
10. All I Want Is You

Rafiennes said:
I think I'm actually gonna bur na copy of this CD, just to see what it sounds like.

Although, I would take off Silver and Gold, replace it with Halleluja and change up the track order a bit...

1. Desire
2. Van Dieman's Land
3. Hawkmoon 269
4. Angel of Harlem
5. Love Rescue Me
6. Heartland
7. God Part II
10. All I Want Is You

Just looking at your revised CD...

It just goes to show how eclectic this album really was - which is what the band wanted.
Acoustic mixed with blues, rock and gospel - definitely says 'Rattle and Hum'.
Remnants of The Joshua Tree (AIWIY and VDL), Unforgettable Fire (Heartland) and visions of the future with Desire and God Part II (Achtung Baby).
Even though it's not one of my faves, it was a pivotal album for the band and it HAD to be made even if only for the fact that the band needed it as a 'release'.

Just looking at your revised CD...

It just goes to show how eclectic this album really was - which is what the band wanted.
Acoustic mixed with blues, rock and gospel - definitely says 'Rattle and Hum'.
Remnants of The Joshua Tree (AIWIY and VDL), Unforgettable Fire (Heartland) and visions of the future with Desire and God Part II (Achtung Baby).
Even though it's not one of my faves, it was a pivotal album for the band and it HAD to be made even if only for the fact that the band needed it as a 'release'. [/B][/QUOTE]

I just programmed that running order on my iPod and gave it a listen. I think I'd only change around Hawkmoon and Angel Of Harlem. Even though I prefer Hallelujah at the very end (it's a very, very hopeful song) the rest of it sounds pretty good.

I have made a seperate copy of Rattle and Hum with studio tracks only. Here is my tracklist:

1. Desire
2. Van Diemen's Land
3. Hawkmoon
4. Silver and Gold (studio version)
5. Angel of Harlem
6. Love Rescue me
7. When love comes to town
8. A room at the heartbreak hotel
9. Heartland
10. Hallelujah (Here she Comes)
11. God Part II
12. All I want is you

It's actually quite good. I have since LOST my Rattle and Hum CD that I bought in the store all those years ago. This burnt copy now rests in the Rattle and Hum case. I could do without the live versions, honestly. While I like concerts videos (Slane, Sydney, etc) I don't really like just listening to live albums/songs without a visual to accompany them.

Other R&H period studio recordings:
Jesus Christ (U2)
Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (U2)
Wild Irish Rose (Bono & Edge)
She's A Mystery To Me (Bono & Edge)
Still Water (Adam & Larry with Lanois)
Jolie Louise (Adam & Larry with Lanois)
Fortunate Son (U2) *Though an AB B-Side I wouldn't be surprised if it was recorded during R&H (lyrically & musically it fits)

Add:
Dancing Barefoot
Everlasting Love

And there a 2 "R&H" CD (of covers & collaborations)

Yes Interesting idea!

R&H Studio Album

Side A

1. Desire
2. Hallelujah Here She Comes
3. Hawmoon 269
4. A Room At The Heart Break Hotel
5. All I Want Is You

Side B

6. Heartland (though this version was written & recorded for JT. According to Edge it was replaced by Trip Through Your Wires at the last minute)
7. Van Diemans Land
8. Love Rescue Me
9. When Love Comes To Town
10. Angel Of Harlem
11. God Part II

Other R&H period studio recordings:

Side A

1. Unchained Melody
2. Christmas (Baby Please Come Home) (U2)
3. Dancing Barefoot
4. She's A Mystery To Me (Bono & Edge)
5. Everlasting Love

Side B

6. Fortunate Son (U2) *Though an AB B-Side I wouldn't be surprised if it was recorded during the R&H period (lyrically & musically it fits)
7. Jesus Christ (U2)
8. Still Water (Adam & Larry with Lanois)
9. Jolie Louise (Adam & Larry with Lanois)
10. Wild Irish Rose (Bono & Edge)

And there?s a second "R&H" CD (of covers & collaborations)!

critics hated rattle and hum

what was the band trying to do at the time?
no sense of musical direction, were they merely trying to be like the stones?

would have been great had they made this album in more recent times because nobody would've given a sh*t about them anymore

I've always been partial to the version of Silver and Gold that has Bono singing and Keith Richards and that other guy from the stones are on guitar or something. I would put that on a Rattle and Hum mix cd instead of the other studio version of Silver and Gold.

Upon further reflection, I thought it would've been cool if U2 released Rattle & Hum as a true double album (CD) with one disc of new tracks and one of live. In my Fantasyland (which is a lot of fun by the by and has a low ticket price) I thought that it'd be neat if U2 rereleased the album the way they would've put it together, without Paramount breathing down their necks, kind of like The Beatles' Let It Be (naked).

U2 ? Rattle & Hum (as intended)

Disc One (the new tunes)
1. Desire
2. Van Diemen?s Land
3. Angel Of Harlem
4. Hawkmoon 269
5. Love Rescue Me
6. Heartland
7. God Part II
10. All I Want Is You