Rattle and Hum vs Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

U2girl

Blue Crack Addict
The two were both done virtually mid-tour, both have collaborations. Let's take the U2 songs and take out the collaborations and live versions: which do you prefer if it was down to this?

Van Diemen's Land
Desire
Hawkmoon 269
Angel Of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes To Town
Heartland
God Part II
All I Want Is You

Zooropa
Babyface
Numb
Lemon
Stay (Faraway, So Close!)
Daddy's Gonna Pay For Your Crashed Car
Some Days Are Better Than Others
The First Time
Dirty Day

I'd have to say Zooropa. The title track alone is better than anything on Rattle and Hum.

I think Zooropa by a tiny bit. AIWIY is better than anything on Zooropa, but Zooropa is more consistently excellent. Awkward sentence there.

Although I really like Zooropa, I would go for Rattle and Hum.

I would prefer Rattle and Hum with only these 9 songs more than the way it is now. With almost 40 minutes long, it would be a real - but short - album with some good songs and some terrific songs. Now it's only a collection of new songs, live songs, live covers, a live B-side and a snippet of some street artists. Not really an album I enjoy listening.

BANZAI said:
Although I really like Zooropa, I would go for Rattle and Hum.

I would prefer Rattle and Hum with only these 9 songs more than the way it is now. With almost 40 minutes long, it would be a real - but short - album with some good songs and some terrific songs. Now it's only a collection of new songs, live songs, live covers, a live B-side and a snippet of some street artists. Not really an album I enjoy listening.

Pad it with Hallelujah Here She Comes and Dancing Barefoot. Now it's brilliant. :wink:

I don't get the point of the thread... We all know by far, that before the thread being opened, the majority of this forum users praise Zooropa and despise (or even hate) Rattle And Hum... Unfortunately, hese posts are no surprise for anyone here. :huh:

Zooropa , The name oozes sex appeal , and the album has a carmel centre.

Zooropa is the 3rd masterpeice.

U2girl said:
Let's take the U2 songs and take out the collaborations and live versions

When Love Comes To Town

Collaboration, isn't it?

If based on the studio, go with RAH. If live, it's a tie.

IF ya shoved Zooropa and rattle and hum infront of a non u2 fans face, rattle and hum will be in the bin 1st.

vaz02 said:
IF ya shoved Zooropa and rattle and hum infront of a non u2 fans face, rattle and hum will be in the bin 1st.

Actually both are the among the three worst sellers in U2's album catalog (today).

ntalwar said:

Actually both are the among the three worst sellers in U2's album catalog (today).

your point is ?

you mean if something doesnt sell too well its shit ?

lame!

I thought rattle and hum sold quite well , 14m wasnt it ? :huh:

zooropa sold 7m i recall , im sure october,pop and boy sold a lot less.

Not that it matters, but I would like to know the exact sales figures for all their albums...

And Zooropa is definitely eye-catching, and positively wonderful as well. :wink:

vaz02 said:

your point is ?
you mean if something doesnt sell too well its shit ?
lame!
I thought rattle and hum sold quite well , 14m wasnt it ? :huh:
zooropa sold 7m i recall , im sure october,pop and boy sold a lot less.

I meant current sales (2006) - not cumulative. You mentioned the "non-U2 fan". For example - the casual music buyer who wants to select among U2 albums after hearing 30 second song samples on amazon.com. Using that criteria, both are relatively weak sellers.

Zooropa is one of the worst represented albums I've ever heard for 30 second samples. I listened to the sample for the title track once, and all they played was the intro. Why would I just want to hear that for 6 minutes? :|

I think I'd take Rattle And Hum on the basis of Heartland and God Part II, though as someone pointed out, WLCTT probably shouldn't be there, so if that were gone, maybe I'd swing towards Zooropa. I'm not sure. They both have a couple of excellent songs, a few good ones, and a couple of pretty uninteresting ones.

vaz02 said:

Yeah, sure, that's exactly why RAH is the highest selling U2 album in Australia.

vaz02 said:

No freaking way. People that really like them but maybe not to the point where they are joining U2 boards or seeking out bootlegs, those people laugh at Zooropa. They think it sucks. Because the fact is, you have to be a DIE HARD, I LIVE FOR THIS BAND type of fan to like Zooropa.

I'm a huge fan. I have all of the official DVD's and CD's, I listen to them CONSTANTLY, I never shut up about them with my friends, yet I had to get rid of Zooropa because I detest that horrible piece of crap. Next to Van Halen 3 (with Gary Cherone) it's the only CD I've ever thrown in the trash. Literally, in the trash....and I've never regretted it.

I think it's great that so many of you swear by Zooropa but I just don't know how. It's just so non-U2.

Since I'm a guitar boy , I'm all way Rattle and Hum , not that Zooropa is bad , I actually like it more than other years , but just pick 2 songs .

Lemon X God Part II

While in the 1st Edge plays only a tremolo rhythm , the basis of the song is bass , drums and keyboards

In God Part , Edge really put this strat to work

:drool:

That ends the discussion for me

WalkOnTheEdge said:
It's just so non-U2.

:drool:

You can say that about every U2 album ever.

The transition from Boy to October, October to War, War to UF...and so on and so forth all become non-U2ish.
Honestly the only two albums I feel are exactly the same are ATYCLB and HTDAAB. Everything else has been a complete surprise for me. And that's a *great* thing. :love:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom