Rattle and Hum vs Zooropa

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
vaz02 said:
IF ya shoved Zooropa and rattle and hum infront of a non u2 fans face, rattle and hum will be in the bin 1st.

Why would R&H be in the bin first? That album contains songs that have been played a lot on tour and as well as the radio, Angel of Harlem, Desire, and All I Want Is You.

The studio tracks on Rattle and Hum aside from Love Rescue Me are all great.

but Zooropa is just an acid trip set to music.

david said:

Why would R&H be in the bin first? That album contains songs that have been played a lot on tour and as well as the radio, Angel of Harlem, Desire, and All I Want Is You.

Zooropa works for itself while rattle and hum depends on big hits such as the ones you stated above.

I personally cant stand the whole Rattle and hum gig, its too country and western. While zooropa reflects the european market at the mid point of the 90's.

Europe v North america

At that point in music history the dance and manchester scene were breaking through, and its common knowledge that many of the tracks on zooropa were played heavily in clubs.

vaz02 said:

I personally cant stand the whole Rattle and hum gig, its too country and western. While zooropa reflects the european market at the mid point of the 90's.

There's no country and western on R&H. There's a little bit country(big difference), there's blues, soul, touch of jazz...it's everything rock music came from.

I love the R&H songs, but I wish it hadn't combined the live with the new.

But honestly I can't compare the two...

I'd like to give it a pretty even vote, I love the R&H studio tracks greatly and think it's a shame the album was diluted, but I know I listen to Zooropa 5 times for every 1 R&H spin, so it has to go to Zooropa.

BonoVoxSupastar said:

But honestly I can't compare the two...

Same here. It's like apples and oranges.

Van Diemen's Land
Desire
Hawkmoon 269
Angel Of Harlem
God Part II
Heartland
AIWIY
Zooropa
Numb
Lemon
Stay
The First Time
Dirty Day

... all great songs! :heart:

WalkOnTheEdge said:

No freaking way. People that really like them but maybe not to the point where they are joining U2 boards or seeking out bootlegs, those people laugh at Zooropa. They think it sucks. Because the fact is, you have to be a DIE HARD, I LIVE FOR THIS BAND type of fan to like Zooropa.

I'm a huge fan. I have all of the official DVD's and CD's, I listen to them CONSTANTLY, I never shut up about them with my friends, yet I had to get rid of Zooropa because I detest that horrible piece of crap. Next to Van Halen 3 (with Gary Cherone) it's the only CD I've ever thrown in the trash. Literally, in the trash....and I've never regretted it.

:eyebrow: ...kay. Just because you threw Zooropa in the trash (why? why not give it to someone else or sell it or something?) doesn't mean you have to be a DIE HARD IN CAPS LIVE FOR U2 type of fan to enjoy Zooropa. In fact, the album is so different from pretty much everything else U2 has done that perhaps someone who is not much of a U2 fan and therefore has no expectations of what a U2 album ought to be would be more likely to enjoy Zooropa.

As for this thread? I go with Zooropa, of course. Rattle and Hum has some great songs, but Zooropa is up there with The Joshua Tree in terms of being a brilliant album.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Because the fact is, you have to be a DIE HARD, I LIVE FOR THIS BAND type of fan to like Zooropa.

That's actually not true at all. Generally, people that don't care for U2's usual sound love Zooropa, while those dyed-in-the-wool fans hate it. It's totally backwards from what you said. Also note that the critical reception was much warmer towards Zooropa than R&H. Why would I mention that? Because those critics probably weren't U2 fans.

I rest my case.

WalkOnTheEdge said:

Because the fact is, you have to be a DIE HARD, I LIVE FOR THIS BAND type of fan to like Zooropa.

No way. I know more than a few CD collections that have Zooropa in there but not a Joshua Tree to be found, nor would JT even be considered. You can't pigeonhole taste so narrowly. Zooropa DEFINITELY has its own massive fanclub, within and outside the general diehard U2 community.

Earnie Shavers said:

No way. I know more than a few CD collections that have Zooropa in there but not a Joshua Tree to be found, nor would JT even be considered. You can't pigeonhole taste so narrowly. Zooropa DEFINITELY has its own massive fanclub, within and outside the general diehard U2 community.

:up: QFT

i just really hard, its like compparing apples to a fruit no ones ever heard before:huh:

Wow, the thought of throwing Zooropa in the bin is actually quite saddening. :( I've got another copy of Zooropa sitting in a drawer as backup in case my current one should come to any harm - still in its wrapper as well.

Zzzz...what a waste of forum space. Zooropa is the superior album by FAR, I don't see what Rattle and Hum possibly has that makes it the better record besides Heartland (one of their best) God Part II and All I Want Is You. Outstanding tracks but not enough to save the entire album.

I know I'm fighting a losing battle about Zooropa because I'm on a U2 message board talking with people who have upwards of 3,000 posts. You guys are hardcore fans. And that's cool, I'd expect nothing else.

But, I'm 38 and everyone I know grew up with U2 like we did and whenever Zooropa get's mentioned it is always met with laughter and something to the effect of, "oh my god, that album was freaking horrible!"

I swear I'm not looking to stir the pot at all and I know I'm in the minority here on this topic. I love this freaking band, but this band to me is Streets, Out Of Control, Electric Co, Day Without Me, etc....you know, straight at you rock with that incredibly unique U2 sound. But that experimental Zooropa stuff is just not for me. I tried...I tried real hard to get into it but couldn't. Fantastic title song but for me that's as far as it goes.

Both are underrated, but I never listened to them back to back like this. I'll try it. Another thing they have in common is both have a song where Edge is singing.

:hmm: Good point about WLCTT. I wanted to keep it 9vs9 songs...now what?

BTW did I mention that here , was the Vertigo concert with more RH songs of the whole tour ......... Kinda gives you a clue about how RH did here

Zooropa. I'm not a Rattle and Hum person and Zooropa amazes me everytime I listen to it. I love almost every song on Zooropa and I listen to the whole disc a lot. As for Rattle and Hum, there are four songs that get to me: Heartland, Van Diemen's Land, God Part II and AIWIY. I also like Angel Of Harlem but only live. But then there's Desire... I really don't like that song :hide:

i agree that they both have their PROS and their CONS..ok...thats my stance dont shoot me..like i love songs from both

and Stay is tied for my fav U2 song ever (with Streets) soo i'm partial, but i LOVE AIWIY, Desire, etc..

Rattle & Hum is more likely to please non-U2 fans...more popular songs, etc

thing is that I consider Zooropa to be in my top 3 U2 albums
quite a bit ahead of R&H

but when I just look at the individual songs like that I'd be very tempted to vote R&H

:hmm:

Agree 100% with WalkOnTheEdge. Dirty Day is great & Stay is OK I guess, the rest is pure crap. Zooropa IMO is U2's worst album, seriously...Wide Awake in America is better.

Back
Top Bottom