Rattle And Hum: The Movie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
ahittle said:
I saw it in the theaters when I was 16 or so, and although I can understand the criticisms, I really like it - even the cringe-worthy moments.

I always thought the moment with BB was over-compensation for a young guy that was obviously in over his head.

The live stuff is just incredible, but I always thought it was odd how little of the crowd is in that movie, especially given the size of the places they were playing.

Side note: R&H didn't last long at our theaters. And there were these huge cardboard posters that formed a giant box and that depicted each of the four guys that was sitting in the lobby, waiting to be discared, I guess. They were about the size of subway posters, but on a really heavy board stock. We went to another movie on the last show of the evening, grabbed the huge display, ran through the theater to the exits under the screen, jammed it into a buddy's station wagon and tore ass home. Then, we divided it up among the four of us, who happened to be in a band together. Being the guitar player, I got the Edge.

That is a brilliant story! :lol:

And R and H is a brilliant "road movie," as the band intended. The critical backlash was a given... the creature had been built, bigger and better than ever before... and it was time to tear it down! l The usual media-fueled trajectory.

Honestly, the movie was, in fact, quite humble, perhaps not as well-fleshed out as it could have been... but it's moving and honest and sweet to me, to this day, no matter how many times I've seen it!:D

U2girl said:

I'll have to look that one up. :nerd:

Hmm, he does look more self assured in that part (I wonder who the person is he's looking at when he says that ? BB King again?). I guess you could see it that way.

Still, I liked the reading of the lyrics to get an opinion, which is something U2 are known to do.

i think he was excited to be reading his stuff to BB , starstruck almost , not thinking yeah aint i great ...
i like rattle n hum, has some great moments like the eniskillen speech.. and Bad blows me away too.

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I actually desired more "backstage" footage. Some footage of the boys drunk and cutting up, or something. It just seemed a lot of the non-stage stuff was useless...such as the Graceland scene, I love the fact that it showed how charimatic Bono can be, but the rest was boring.

That's exactly what I thought. About 85 - 90% of it is performance, which is great, but I would have liked more backstage stuff.

I have always thought the black and white footage is the most breathtaking and beautiful concert footage I've seen from any concert film or movie. The lighting and the contrast, it's just wonderful. Exit and Bad really stand out in this regard.

And how great that it isn't full of stupid Hamish style fast cutaways and out of focus and shakey shots.

AndrewCowley said:
I have always thought the black and white footage is the most breathtaking and beautiful concert footage I've seen from any concert film or movie. The lighting and the contrast, it's just wonderful. Exit and Bad really stand out in this regard.

Thats true but Streets would not have had the same impact if it had been in black and white. Rattle And Hum is what really made the red backdrop used on most tours since (except Vertigo) a standard with Streets. Most fans casual and hardcore respond right away when the red backdrop comes up on the screen and the flashing lights when Edge hits his Streets riff. I credit that to Rattle And Home more than anything. I remember seeing the trailer in theaters and it was basically them walking out with the red backdrop. A friend of mine at the time that didnt like U2 said to me, "wow, that looks cool".

So I think it was good that they incorporated both color and black and white into the movie.

corianderstem said:

I'm talking about midway through the song/performance, when he's sitting backstage again, reciting "... I threw the dice when they pierced his side, and I've seen love conquer the great divide."

And he looks up and nods his head a little, like "Yeah, I'm hot shit."

GAH!

Bono...what a guy. :lmao:

Anyway, yes, I love the Rattle & Hum movie. It's like the album done correctly. The live footage is amazing (In God's Country, SBS, Exit :hi5: ), and the backstage stuff is amusing to say the least.

I had the oppertunity to see R&H on the big screen about 2 weeks ago. Interestingly enough I have never see it before--the 1st time it came out--or on DVD (its still in the wrapper :huh: )

I know...how can I even call myself a U2 fan.....

Anyway here are some of the things that struck me the most:

*during the live preformances there is much more of a 'wall' between the band and the audience

and how timid Bono seems. Also I was expecting more 'behind the scenes footage.

Oh and I'm not a R&H virgin anymore:wink:

COBL_04 said:
Exit is THE reason to get that DVD.
Yes and not just for the breathtaking beauty of how it looks. If you have a half decent sound system with a subwoofer then crank it up and listen when Adam is using that pedal thing to deepen the sound of his bass during the quiet parts of the song. Mind blowing.

Incidentally if anyone's interested the infamous Lola Cashman appears briefly in the film. Its just after the band goes backstage after Gods Country. She asks Bono if he wants to change his shirt, which he does and then helps him put on a new one. Afterwards she goes around straigtening him up.

Blue Room said:

Thats true but Streets would not have had the same impact if it had been in black and white. Rattle And Hum is what really made the red backdrop used on most tours since (except Vertigo) a standard with Streets. Most fans casual and hardcore respond right away when the red backdrop comes up on the screen and the flashing lights when Edge hits his Streets riff. I credit that to Rattle And Home more than anything. I remember seeing the trailer in theaters and it was basically them walking out with the red backdrop. A friend of mine at the time that didnt like U2 said to me, "wow, that looks cool".

I saw Rattle and Hum when it was first released and Streets was definitely then the highlight of the film. The audience started cheering when the colours emerged and the opening bars kicked in. I agree that the black and white footage was very atmospheric though.

I well remember just being ecstatic at seeing U2 playing live again if not in the flesh. Remember that this was in the bad old pre internet days when there wasn't much live footage of the band- we didn't even have MTV over here then and the only generally available live video was Under a Blood Red Sky so Rattle and Hum was a major event.

I can see why critics panned it to some degree but the concert footage is amazing and more than makes up for all the cringe moments and after all if they hadn't received the knocks for R&H I don't think we would have ended up with AB and the Zoo Tour as we know it.

DevilsShoes said:
Incidentally if anyone's interested the infamous Lola Cashman appears briefly in the film. Its just after the band goes backstage after Gods Country. She asks Bono if he wants to change his shirt, which he does and then helps him put on a new one. Afterwards she goes around straigtening him up.

You know, when I watched it this past weekend, I wondered if that was her.

AndrewCowley said:

And how great that it isn't full of stupid Hamish style fast cutaways and out of focus and shakey shots.

:up:

nearly every word is true. Pride, SBS, Bad, WOWY, Running to...they were all just filmed beautiful. I collect music-DVDs and watched nearly 300 but nobody has made more great pictures than Phil Joneau and his team. Also perfect cutting. Just an outstanding movie - that made me a fan..:drool:

COBL_04 said:
Can someone please explain to me what was so bad with 'ok edge play the blues'?

Well he didn't technically play a blues solo.

Personally I like the Edge's take on the blues, but the purists will get upset...

R&H is my fav U2 dvd, by far. I only wish they put in One Tree Hill & Mothers of the Disappeared. I wonder why the Springsteen stuff didn't make the cut, maybe Bruce didn't want it in?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
I actually desired more "backstage" footage. Some footage of the boys drunk and cutting up, or something. It just seemed a lot of the non-stage stuff was useless...such as the Graceland scene, I love the fact that it showed how charimatic Bono can be, but the rest was boring.

Have you seen the documentary "Outside It's America"?

BonoVoxSupastar said:
Actually I just found it on youtube, so apparently this was something aired on MTV?

Clever you!

I was just about to PM you the link.

I'm watching it as I type.

I actually have it on VHS from the original airing.

Back
Top Bottom