Rattle & Hum Appreciation: Am I the only one...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zoots

Blue Crack Supplier
... that likes the live cover of Dylan's All Along The Watchtower?

All I got is a red guitar
Three chords
And the truth
All I got is a red guitar
The rest is up to you

:heart:

B000001FS6.03.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

Yes. I like all the studio tracks and many of the live versions too including...

Pride - the first version I ever heard and still a favorite

All Along The Watchtower - love the vocals and guitar here

Silver And Gold - excellent, just top notch.. in lyrics and music

Bullet The Blue Sky - better & more charged up than the JT version

Helter Skelter - sometimes I prefer this version to the original

I Still Haven't Found is the only live song here that I could do without. Actually, it's a great performance but I have to be in the right mood to listen to all that gospel!

And the studio tracks of course need no explanation...

Van Diemen's Land
Desire
Hawkmoon 269
Angel Of Harlem
Love Rescue Me
When Love Comes To Town
Heartland
God Part II
All I Want Is You

R&H is indeed very close to my :heart: Anybody else feel the same way? :wink:

I'm a fan of most of the songs individually, but I think the album as an album isn't so strong. I can usually listen to only a few songs at a time from this one, instead of the whole thing straight through like I can with JT, AB, War, ATYCLB or HTDAAB.

Still, I'm glad it's out there! :wink:

Actually yeah I really do like it, although Dylan's version will always be my fav which I suppose makes me clinically insane or something. :wink:

There are a lot of great songs on R&H though I think if it only included new studio songs it would be one of their weaker ones. But I esp. like All I Want is You, God Part 2, Desire, Angel of Harlem, and Van Diemen's Land is pretty good.

I don't like the Still Haven't Found on the album because it drags on forever, but I have a rip of the same exact version as is on the movie and it rocks. :rockon: I personally think Still Haven't Found is awesome live...just listen to the Dublin Lovetown shows :drool:

I can't stand the cover of Watchtower simply because the Lovetown version is so much better.

The album itself, I find lacks cohesion. I love a lot of the songs, but the execution lets the entire album down.

Desire and AIWIY are fantastic.

The rest range from average to weak, though.

Oh, and All Along the Watchtower's been done better. By certain other artists. :wink:

I can usually listen to only a few songs at a time from this one, instead of the whole thing straight through

Agreed. :up:

Rattle and Hum is the one CD where I take pains to skip certain songs. My preferred listening order omits Helter Skelter, Still Haven't Found (I greatly dislike the R&H version), Freedom for my People, Love Rescue Me, and When Love Comes to Town. In fact, most often when I choose to listen to R&H I only listen to Silver and Gold, and the last four songs (I include the SSB with BTBS.). All I Want Is You is my all-time favorite U2 song. :heart:

Last edited:
I liked the movie more than the album.

Watchtower off the album sounds so weak compared to how much it evolved and got better during Lovetown.

Helter Skelter is an okay cover, but the whole intro the song, and the fact that Bono flubs the lines.

Rattle and Hum doesnt deserve the scolding it gets. If it was released now it would be hailed as the 3rd masterpiece. The tide was against U2, same as during Pop, and people opinions against the album were influenced by the media.

Zootlesque - NO you are not the only one!! Watchtower is great!!
I'm a big fan of Silver & Gold too. Bono's vocals and attitude are just fantastic on both!!! :wink:

I think Heartland is one of the more haunting U2 songs out there

Like Utoo said - not my favorite album but I'm still very glad it exists

The album doesn't stand up as a whole for me, either. It's very hit or miss.

I never listen to Silver and Gold, or the live versions of Pride and Bullet (I do very much like the version of Still Haven't Found, but I prefer the rehearsal version in the movie).

The covers of Watchtower and Helter Skelter, while far from great, are ones I usually forget about and then am rather pleasantly surprised to hear them when I hear them.

I've grown kind of tired of Angel of Harlem and Desire over the years, but still love When Love Comes to Town. I used to strongly dislike Hawkmoon 269, but now completely love it.

Love Rescue Me and Van Diemen's Land? I'm kind of ambivalent about both.

Heartland and All I Want Is You are the best two songs on the album.

Sken said:
Rattle and Hum doesnt deserve the scolding it gets. If it was released now it would be hailed as the 3rd masterpiece. The tide was against U2, same as during Pop, and people opinions against the album were influenced by the media.

Nah. It just isn't that good. :wink:

corianderstem said:
The album doesn't stand up as a whole for me, either. It's very hit or miss.

Very true!

I mean heartland, hawkmoon and my personal all time favourite All I want is you are three of U2's best. Pure classics! Desire and Angel of Harlem are also pretty damn great! However you've also got some real blunders like love rescue me and when love comes to town (how this got on the best of I have no idea.)

Still I am dumbfounded as to why people feel this album is U2's bastard child. I'd take it over ATYCLB and Bomb any day!

Axver said:
I can't stand the cover of Watchtower simply because the Lovetown version is so much better.

The album itself, I find lacks cohesion. I love a lot of the songs, but the execution lets the entire album down.

:yes: I never listen to the R&H version of Watchtower because it's so ordinary in comparison to the Lovetown versions. I have one version that's just brilliant.

R&H is probably my least favourite U2 album, to be honest. It has some fantastic songs - God Part II, All I Want is You, Heartland, Desire, Hawkmoon 269... but the rest... I enjoy Van Dieman's Land and Angel of Harlem well enough, I guess. And When Love Comes to Town is alright though really not a favourite of mine. Love Rescue Me is actually a very beautiful song but it's not one I ever listen to. Silver and Gold is another good song, but again, I never feel compelled to listen to it. The live stuff...I really don't like the gospel version of Still Haven't Found. Very good version of Pride, though. Bullet is also great, but becomes overshadowed by ZooTV and later versions. The cover of Helter Skelter is good and I like it, but I really find it unnecessary. As well as the inclusion of Freedom for my People. really, why is that on the album? They should have put some of the better live songs on it, like Exit, Streets, and With or Without You. I suppose they didn't want it to become Joshua Tree: The Live Album (but really, that would have been nice!)

I do applaud the bravery of Rattle and Hum. I think it would have been better as a double album, one studio and one live, but I appreciate the fact that they experimented with trying to make an album that mixed live and studio tracks. It also helped U2 become more diverse. I mean, Angel of Harlem? Does that sound like a typical U2 song? And how about Desire, which is one of U2's first really sexual songs? And of course God Part II, which more than anything hinted in the direction U2 was headed. Rattle and Hum was sort of a transitional period, and I think it was also U2 trying out stuff they'd never tried before, trying to write traditional rock or blues songs and recording with some of the greats. They could have continued in that direction. I'm glad they didn't, but it was an interesting sidetrack, and it did produce some great stuff.

AtomicBono said:

I do applaud the bravery of Rattle and Hum. I think it would have been better as a double album, one studio and one live, but I appreciate the fact that they experimented with trying to make an album that mixed live and studio tracks. It also helped U2 become more diverse. I mean, Angel of Harlem? Does that sound like a typical U2 song? And how about Desire, which is one of U2's first really sexual songs? And of course God Part II, which more than anything hinted in the direction U2 was headed. Rattle and Hum was sort of a transitional period, and I think it was also U2 trying out stuff they'd never tried before, trying to write traditional rock or blues songs and recording with some of the greats. They could have continued in that direction. I'm glad they didn't, but it was an interesting sidetrack, and it did produce some great stuff.

:up: :up: Excellent.

i like the album... but i definitely do skip alot of tracks on it... Heartland and All i Want is You are definitely the two gems... now the movie on the other hand is just.... :drool: i watch it all the time.... all of the performances are just magical... "Exit", "SBS", "Bad", "Streets", "WOWY"... i could go on forever... a HUGE thumbs up for the DVD... one of the best U2 DVDs, imo...

Zootlesque said:

I second that! Great post there, AB! :sexywink:

thanks, you know it's all for you :heart: (and U2 :wink: )

do you have aim? you should exist on aim someday.

Don't believe in riches but you should see where I live... :rockon:

Desire is one of those white hot Rock and Roll moments.

Three chords and the truth. Indeed.

It's so under appreciated.

Rock & Roll at it's core.

Blistering.

Go listen to it again.

LOUD.

MrBrau1 said:
Desire is one of those white hot Rock and Roll moments.

Three chords and the truth. Indeed.

It's so under appreciated.

Rock & Roll at it's core.

Blistering.

Go listen to it again.

LOUD.

Even better idea: go play a Lovetown version with the shredding solo REALLY loud.

Back
Top Bottom