Rattle & Hum Appreciation: Am I the only one...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
U2Man said:

God Part II is a somewhat weak tribute song to a legend like John Lennon.

You know, I'm not 100% sure that it's a "tribute" song (per se) so much as a rant against Albert Goldman for his obnoxious book "The Lives of John Lennon."

Don't believe the devil
I don't believe his book
But the truth is not the same
Without the lies he made up...

...Don't believe in Goldman
His type like a curse
Instant Karma's gonna get him
If I don't get him first....

In fact, he may also be taking a swing at those who DID do tributes to John:

Don't believe in the 60s
The golden age of pop
You glorify the past
When the future dries up

I actually wish I had the opportunity to speak with Bono about his admiration for John Lennon. John raised the ire of many Christians in his day, what with the remarks about the Beatles being bigger than Jesus and Christianity vanishing and shrinking. In fact, the song "God" has some lyrics that many Christians might find questionable at best:

God is a concept
By which we measure our pain...

...I don't believe in Bible...

...I don't believe in Jesus....

I'd love to pick Bono's brain about this, I think it would make for a really fascinating conversation.

Livi

P.S. Don't get me wrong about any of this. I'm not saying that Bono shouldn't admire John Lennon as John said and did many admirable things. I'm just interested in his take on John's religious and spiritual beliefs.

Last edited:
AtomicBono said:
God Part II and Desire are fucking awesome live on Lovetown :rockon:

:yes:

why wasnt God Part II on the Rattle & Hum movie?

i Know complete footage of those sun studio sessions exists.

Man, would i kill for that footage. :scream:

livi40 said:

You know, I'm not 100% sure that it's a "tribute" song (per se) so much as a rant against Albert Goldman for his obnoxious book "The Lives of John Lennon."

Don't believe the devil
I don't believe his book
But the truth is not the same
Without the lies he made up...

...Don't believe in Goldman
His type like a curse
Instant Karma's gonna get him
If I don't get him first....

In fact, he may also be taking a swing at those who DID do tributes to John:

Don't believe in the 60s
The golden age of pop
You glorify the past
When the future dries up

I actually wish I had the opportunity to speak with Bono about his admiration for John Lennon. John raised the ire of many Christians in his day, what with the remarks about the Beatles being bigger than Jesus and Christianity vanishing and shrinking. In fact, the song "God" has some lyrics that many Christians might find questionable at best:

God is a concept
By which we measure our pain...

...I don't believe in Bible...

...I don't believe in Jesus....

I'd love to pick Bono's brain about this, I think it would make for a really fascinating conversation.

Livi

P.S. Don't get me wrong about any of this. I'm not saying that Bono shouldn't admire John Lennon as John said and did many admirable things. I'm just interested in his take on John's religious and spiritual beliefs.

I was thinking the same thing...it's an interesting concept.

U2mixer said:
HAWKMOON 269 - Unbelievably great track!!! I don't think many fans have the intelligence (not to be patronising) to fully 'get' how good this track actually is! Bono nearly coughs up his vocal chords to sing this - what more can you ask for from a singer!!! Robert on keyboards anybody?

One of their greatest songs. In my fantasy U2 concert they play this.

JMScoopy said:

:yes:

why wasnt God Part II on the Rattle & Hum movie?

i Know complete footage of those sun studio sessions exists.

Man, would i kill for that footage. :scream:

God Part II wasn't part of the Sun Studio sessions though, if that's what you mean. But I'd love to see the Sun Studio Sessions though.

david said:

God Part II wasn't part of the Sun Studio sessions though, if that's what you mean. But I'd love to see the Sun Studio Sessions though.

funny, i have a pic of the edge in sun studio playing a telecaster with his fingers in the position for that god part II riff. he also looks like he's strumming the hell out of it. i dont think anyother song recorded has that finger position, but i could be wrong.

Hey, could someone please repost that Lovetown New Year's Eve in Dublin concert? Or any other version, really? The old file expired.

XHendrix24 said:
Desire and AIWIY are fantastic.

The rest range from average to weak, though.

Oh, and All Along the Watchtower's been done better. By certain other artists. :wink:

I would add in "Angel of Harlem" to your list. Bono's vocals and lyrics are brilliant in that song. Plus, it's probably the closest U2 have come to a jazz style performance - and it works, IMO. I really like "Angel" and feel it's one of the highlights of the album.

I'd also throw in "God Part II" and "Silver and Gold". They are a notch down from the first three, but just a notch. However, besides those tracks, I'm not a huge fan of the other studio songs.

The live songs are O.K. I like the performance of "I Still Haven't...", but I know most U2 fans do not. I just feel that Bono is out there belting out the song along with the gospel singers and doing a fantastic job! But it seems U2 fans don't like collaborations of any sort on a U2 song (see the Mary J. Blige thread).

Back
Top Bottom