Rate Vertigo now !!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that follows U2.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ponkine

Refugee
Hola amigos :wave: well, I know since now every fan will say "hola" instead "Hello" !!!! :yes:
I want to hear your voices and read your lines my friends, so waiting for a new single is finish...what´re your feelings ?? do you FEEEEEEEL this song or not ?? from 1 to 10, which rate is yours for this song ?? etc, say everything related with this new song here !!!! :cool:

Here I go:

"Vertigo":
Running Time: 3'11 ( at least the version we have, we don´t know yet if an edit version or is the same album version :censored: )
Radio Released: 23 September 2004

Rate: 9/10

My coments: My friends, I was checking U2´s first singles from each album, and those songs are:

1- Out Of Control ( U2 3 ) : 9/10
2- Fire : 8/10
3- New Year´s Day :10/10
4- Pride ( in the name of love ) :10/10
5- With Or Without You :10/10
6- Desire :10/10
7- The Fly :10/10
8- Lemon : 8/10
9- Discotheque :10/10
10- Beautiful Day :5/10
11- Vertigo :9/10

most of these songs are U2 classics, except for Fire. The other ones, especially "New Year´s Day", "Pride" and "With Or Without You" are top 10 U2 songs. The sound of Vertigo remains me to some extent "Discotheque" in many aspects, distorded background, guitars, etc. At least is the most similar single to Vertigo, if you check this list. It´s a short song ( but well we don´t know if is the full version yet :scratch: ). Without a doubt is a Rock song, something usual since Desire, with a break on "Lemon". The most clear exception is "With or Without You"... and Joshua Tree was the biggest U2 smash ever...
The main riff and chorus domains the whole song, with several guitars on both speakers. The first part is the main riff, after Larry´s sticks counting and Bono´s counting "un, dos, tres, catorce" ( I have to say Bono´s doesn´t say "un" actually, but I think he just failed in saying "UNO" in proper Spanish, that´s all. I know several fans will try to find the language of the first number, since is not Spanish. The rythym section is well presented in this song, and when Bono starts to sing just the bass give the riff, with Edge´s guitar ( left speaker ) giving rythym but no chords. The chorus is something like "Boy" era, with many voices giving energy, GREAT :bow: and saying ( again ) another Spanish word "Hola" ( Hello ). After the chorus, there´s a classic Edge´s guitar giving another notes. The bridge remains me The Who ( I´m talking before solo part ). The solo is short but effective, GREAT. then a mysterious part, a short break before last chorus, the most distorded of all.
Bono´s voice ? : Sounds better than "Beautiful Day" and a little better than "Electrical Storm". Don´t expect another "Pride ( in the name of love )", Bono was 20 years younger then !!!!. You can easily realize Bono´s voice won´t come back to Lovetown nor Zoo TV tour. Probably will sound very similar with Elevation Tour.
Edge´s guitar ?: The closest guitars to "Pop" I´ve ever heard since those days, very distorded, except for moments in which he plays a more "Classic" Edge sound, very similar guitar to "Wire" ( don´t you think ???? ) and after the solo he gives some harmonics that remains me "Unforgettable Fire", but the whole section on that part remains me "War". maybe he´s giving us real clues about this album, something strong, agressive, but, without leaving all behind ( "Pop" and "The Unforgettable Fire" sounds)
Larry´s drums ?: very present here, specially during verses. He doesn´t use the Hi-Hat during verses, but then he uses cymbals and Hi-hat at the chorus, giving a cool arrangment.
Adam´s bass ?: sounds a mix between "New Year´s Day" and "Elevation".

I don´t really know what's going to happen with this song. Is far better than first listening of "Beautiful Day", but is not better than "With Or Without You" or "Pride ( in the name of love )" first listening

:ohmy:

Last edited:
I am going to give it a 9.5 out of 10. I have not felt this way about a U2 song after hearing it for the first time ever. This song makes me feel 10x more than what I felt when I first heard BD, Walk On, and the rest of ATYCLB (which I do love).

I'm not gonna write a full review now, but this song is better than anything on ATYCLB including beautiful day. I'll give it a 9.5\10. Fuking brilliant song. The only thing that edge should have done is change the guitar sound during that 3 chord little solo (he doesn't tear it up enough, the guitar needs to be so much heavier in this part!)

They have been playing it over and over the last hour and a half on the radio! HOLY CRAP! I LOVE IT!!

My bum wont stop moving!

uno, dos, thres, catorce!.........

Last edited:
9.5 out of 10!

Reason for the .5 taken off? I'm hoping that there will be a true 10 on the album. :wink:

Well. I've been a die hard fan since a few weeks before The Fly came out.. The Fly was a GREAT first single because it showed the world a new U2 and it set people straight that doubted the band could have survived the whole Rattle and Hum era.

I had mixed feelings when Numb was the first single for Zooropa because I was wanting U2 to ROCK but instead they just went really experimental. I didn't care much for Numb.

Discotheque was a good first single for POP... I guess. It did kind of rock and was sort of representative of the album.

Beautiful Day was good, but it just seemed so mellow.

Now I personally feel Vertigo is doing for U2 what The Fly did for them. It is showing people that U2 can and indeed still rock. And it's signalling a change.

I give it a 10.

OMG, I absolutely love it. It's a 10. Frickin' brilliant, brilliant, brilliant.

I'd give it a 9.5 out of 10. With the only reason for the .5 deduction being what a pain in the ass it was to get to hear it. ;)

Seriously though, I'm not a big "put a number" on something to rate it kind of guy. I love the song though, sounds fantastic.

Lot of people talking about ATYCLB here, and my opinion of ATYCLB is that it was a fantatstic album laden with too many Adult Contemporary kind of tracks.

Cutters10C said:
I am going to give it a 9.5 out of 10. I have not felt this way about a U2 song after hearing it for the first time ever. This song makes me feel 10x more than what I felt when I first heard BD, Walk On, and the rest of ATYCLB (which I do love).

Have to consider the `role' of a first release here, and the music world it's being released into. ISHFWILF is my ALL time fave by any artist, but as an opener - and re-introduction to the world at large- this track is awesome, and has sooooo much more going for it than the pretenders to the crown. so, in summary, not there best song ever - but near to their most immediate opener since NYD or PRIDE

Mike

ATYCLB... Beautiful Day... Walk On... those ones... those ones were a 10... but this one... this one... well...

marsh11-1.jpg

Last edited:
For what its supposed to accomplish ie reestablish U2 at the top of the rock game, I give it a 10 - there won't be anything stronger released in 2004 and probably for the better part of 2005 by any other band, I can pretty much bet that.

As a U2 song, and evaluated against the hype I've been reading in reviews, I don't know where to rate it yet. Mind you I like it a HELL of alot better once I heard the cleaned up version.

The power chords are what gets me I think..not much into power chords...I think it was Rolling Stone's review that said something like 'no rapping...expansive melodic Edge guitar' or something along those lines....and well the verse is kinda like that...and Edge isn't doing his classic harmonics thing really except during the solo...and it doesn't stand out as much as I wish it would - remix that solo Edge!!!!

Good voice tho Bono! You still got it in ya huh? :) Gonna be fun to do live!

Rhythm section- what can I say...as always, tiiiiight, and Adam forms the foundation as usual..

So as a U2 song...for my personal tastes....hmm...and note that I did not immediately fall in love with Elevation...

7 out of 10 - it will likely grow on me as I listen to it and I can bet I'll have a different rating in about...oh...4 hrs...after we play it!! ;) :)

Last edited:
Headache in a Suitcase said:
ATYCLB... Beautiful Day... Walk On... those ones... those ones were a 10... but this one... this one... well...

I wish my amp went up to 11.

:(

Ody said:
6.5-7/10

Good, but not the best.

one thing I´m sure my friends: This song is really good and worth listen, but is cleary not the best U2 song :no: . I´m listening "Running To Stand Still" now and that song is a no-words song, so, so right to my heart, AWESOME !!!

I know every song is matter of taste, but I think other songs like "Bad"; "Pride ( in the name of love )"," I Still haven´t Found...", "Sunday Bloody Sunday", "All I Want Is You", "Running To Stand Still" and many other classics are better :heart:

Back
Top Bottom